SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
Aysle
Aysle is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Timing Cover Bolts

Im in the process or trying to clean the grey RTVish stuff out of the threads... It just doesnt want to come out.

Ive tried razor blades...little screw drivers... and now on a dremel with a little wire wheel. Problem with that is its wearing down the threads a bit. Turning the nice black bolts shinny silver. Im assuming this is bad.

Right now I use a razor blade to get the big bits off. Then a tiny screw driver to dig in the threads then the dremmel to finish it off. How "clean" do the threads need to be? Do they have to be 100% clean? I also worry. If there is this much junk on the bolts how much is in the block. I got a .45 gauge nylon brush from the gun store but I dont think it will clean it all out if its this bad.

So I know the size / thread of the bolts M8x1.25 what strength should I be buying? My local ace has 8.8. Is that good enough?

Or am I ok polishing up the threads a bit?

99 SL2 with 2000 motor using 99 intake,exhaust manifolds & EGR valve
J&C Frankenstein Head Replacement
New Cloyes Timing, Upper Engine Mount, Water Pump, Idler Pulley, Fel-Pro Gaskets/Bolts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aysle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aysle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aysle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Timing Cover Bolts

You're just taking the paint off, no need to replace the bolts unless the thread has real physical damage.

If it really bothers you than 8.8 will be fine, they don't hold anything that's super stressed like suspension bolts do so there's no need for super strong expensive bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Aysle
Aysle is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Also when I put the timing cover bolts back in do I put locktite or anti-seize on them? Or just straight in?

99 SL2 with 2000 motor using 99 intake,exhaust manifolds & EGR valve
J&C Frankenstein Head Replacement
New Cloyes Timing, Upper Engine Mount, Water Pump, Idler Pulley, Fel-Pro Gaskets/Bolts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aysle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aysle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aysle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

The best way to clean bolt threads out is with a wire wheel on a bench grider. You hold the head of the bolt with a pair of vice grips (not your fingers!!).

Make sure you have on eye & face protection, because the little bolts turn into bullets if they pop off your vice grips.

I have heard that you should use anti seize for any bolts that go into the aluminum block, but I have not done this to date. FWIW.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

To clean enerything, I tapped all the holes and used a die on all the bolts. I put a little socket on a drill and ran the bolts thru a die. - Loading one side, then the next. Maybe overkill....until you get everything back together and then discover little drips of oil on a friend's fancy clean driveway.

Usually, I wire wheel everything. No gloves. It's fine wire and doesn't really hurt. Bigger the bolt the easier to keep your fingers away.

Gloves around equipment:
Skin will not pull your entire hand into a machine. Strong leather gloves will grab and wrap your arm around something scary It's the ol' long-haired hippy in the machine shop dilemma.

Hmmm....If it was some big knarly wire wheel on a pedestal, I'd probably use gloves and vicegrips.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote