SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
scooter500
scooter500 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Wrench so why did they stop making Saturns?

Hi, after decades of mostly muscle cars I just bought a 2004 2.2 Vue in Electric Blue & wow, it's really a nice product! So why did they axe this line?

This forum has already helped me understand how to go about troubleshooting a rich condition (I see it's a map not maf sensor - thanks far2grumpy & all).

Just in case I need pro help can anyone recommend a garage or dealer that still works on Saturns in the Hampton Roads or Tidewater Area of Virginia?

Best regards --

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scooter500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scooter500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scooter500 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1
Default Re: so why did they stop making Saturns?

Quote:
So why did they axe this line?
My jaded opinion:

a) Oversized government meddling into the free market system forced GM into making short-sighted, ill advised decisions.

b) Its just not PC to produce economical gasoline based cars anymore. Thats why we are being force-fed hybrid and electric cars even though the fully-loaded economics do not justify a shift in that direction.

I have an xl spreadsheet where I calculate my cost/mile driving either of my 3 S-series saturns, and compare that to the cost/mile of a Toyota Prius. It is very humerous to see the typical response.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
85HP
85HP is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1998 SW2

Agreed with caveeagle on all points.

My opinion:

Saturn management methods and union agreements were, at first, nothing short of revolutionary. This did not sit well with other GM divisions (that felt they were financing a new start-up) and it did not sit well with union management (who wished to impose their culture on the process.)

Union agreements later changed (for the worse) and the brand was "harmonized" with other production according to the formula of different divisions selling the same car with different badges. In the end, monolithic culture prevailed and the "old way" of doing business became the norm.

So, the innovative concepts in design, marketing, production and labor were cast aside... these were the very thing that made the product so damn good in the first place.

I suspect in the end, when GM was looking to streamline, Saturn might have been more easily spun-off than some of the brands that were closer-to-home, but that's just a guess on my part.

It's a shame Penske didn't get that plant. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done as an automaker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 85HP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 85HP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
85HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont think it was gms decision. gm started saturn and had something no other car maker had and learned very little from it. ive never seen as loyal a customer as saturn customers were.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote