SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Ethman
Ethman is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Wrench Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

Hi, Im new to this site and I have been wanting to rig my exhaust to have a switch so that it can run straightpiped with no catylatic converters or mufflers to get in the way while im on the highway so I get better mileage and power, and have it so i can still run it through the original exhaust system in town or when I see the cops. any Ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ethman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ethman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ethman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
Default Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

You're a genius.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Ethman

2001 SL
Question Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

think a choke cable type setup would work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ethman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethman View Post
any Ideas?
my idea is that you won't get any better mileage or power by doing this. just a loud car that now has no low-end torque. this isn't a muscle car from the early 70s...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Has been around for a while now and is big with the muscle cars.
http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qt...FeN_Qgod4S8AJA
http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606156...Types&var=sbar
These are just a few.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Ethman

2001 SL
Happy Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
Those systems are exactly what I want! Thanks! I didn't even realize you could buy a kit lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Since you are in Canada, you might want to check with local authorities to make sure they are legal to have. Here, in the us, some states, they are illegal to use on public highway, due to modified exhaust as well as sound level. If you get them and install them, please post pics and videos for all to see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Ethman

2001 SL
Wrench Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

I'm pretty sure that nobody would care where I come from with all loud diesel trucks with stacks and such lol I will post videos and pics, but that's going to have to be in the summer because I'm gunna have to work my tail off to pay off the insurance... 4 grand for one year for a car that's worth maybe half that, does that seem fair to essentially have me buy two cars every year?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

And you'll be wasting more money on the thing. Have fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
And you'll be wasting more money on the thing. Have fun.
I'm really just shaking my head at this thread. Did he not see that the only thing that would happen is a loud as **** turd? No low end torque, no better gas mileage, and plus its gonna be a ***** to route. just a headache and waste of money OP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

I'm not sure how much HP is available at cruise revs, but likely it's a few HP. The suggested use could well be more efficient, and the OP never suggested using it at all times.

Rather than claiming it's not correct, why doesn't someone dig up some dyno numbers and see what is to be gained at 2500-3000 rpm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I'm not sure how much HP is available at cruise revs, but likely it's a few HP. The suggested use could well be more efficient, and the OP never suggested using it at all times.

Rather than claiming it's not correct, why doesn't someone dig up some dyno numbers and see what is to be gained at 2500-3000 rpm?
Oh, he'll increase fuel economy alright. With the dumped exhaust, he won't be able to put any significant load on the motor without waking the dead. So there's that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

But if we're being truly analytical, the stock exhaust doesn't impede flow that much past the cat at low engine speeds since the flow of exhaust isn't restrictive down there. The increase in economy wouldn't be significant.

The OP's time would be better spent by reversing his idea and making an electric "bypass" for the intake to suck up air from over the manifold. That's already known to produce a decent increase in fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

It will be money spent with no real gain. It isn't going to be 2 MPG, may not be any measureable increase.

It will also be no fun to actually drive on the interstate. While thse big rigs can make a lot of noise, they also have good insalation to keep it out of the cabin; Not so much on the Saturn. Even folks with very open exhausts (still with cats and 2 mufflers) find the exhaust drone wearing. Open pipe would probably get old very quickly.

Also bypassing the Cat does little. Cats are as restrictive as they were in the 80's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
....or when I see the cops....
Doesn't matter when you see the cops. What matters is when _they_ see _you_. And believe me, they see you long before you see them....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Ethman

2001 SL
Information Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

It was suggested to me by my Coop boss Jed, I'm doing a four credit coop for an agricultural equipment technician, essentially im going to fix tractors for a living, mainly john deer but i'm getting off track here! it may be loud as hell to run the waste gate but isn't that what a loud sound system is for? and as far as low end tourque, I intend on pulling the switch once i'm cruising at around 2000-2500 RPM on the 401... I drive an hour and a half every day to get to my coop, Jed pays my gas, and it gets close to 45 mpg depending on how I drive and considering I go to coop all week and some Saturdays. I will notice even a 1mpg difference because it's 220k every day. so that's pretty much an oil change every month and a top up every 2500 km. and what's this about the intake? If it helps too, il try it because it will pay for itself in the end. I think I can make my own waste-gate, all i'd need is the right sized Y pipe that I could put in and rig a sort of butterfly valve similar to one in the carb on my sled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
Ethman

2001 SL
Checkered Flag Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Doesn't matter when you see the cops. What matters is when _they_ see _you_. And believe me, they see you long before you see them....
They may see me but are they looking for me? sometimes the best place to hide is in plain sight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Ethman

2001 SL
Wrench Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

: AlexOfNazereth
making an electric "bypass" for the intake to suck up air from over the manifold. That's already known to produce a decent increase in fuel economy.

would this be a similar effect to a cold air box? and would a system similar to a hood scoop with a (cant think of the name but it forces air in through the hood scoop into the air system much faster) intake help? I was thinking of mounting this to the inside of the front bumper so that it's not a heat magnet

Last edited by Ethman; 04-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: didn't quote properly -.-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
: AlexOfNazereth
making an electric "bypass" for the intake to suck up air from over the manifold. That's already known to produce a decent increase in fuel economy.

would this be a similar effect to a cold air box? and would a system similar to a hood scoop with a (cant think of the name but it forces air in through the hood scoop into the air system much faster) intake help? I was thinking of mounting this to the inside of the front bumper so that it's not a heat magnet
Wouldn't it be the opposite if the air was over the manifold. It would be warm? lol. Which would increase mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
Ethman

2001 SL
Idea Re: Waste gate exhaust Ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullNelson13 View Post
Wouldn't it be the opposite if the air was over the manifold. It would be warm? lol. Which would increase mpg.
LOL! That's true! so... warm airbox?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!