SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
sdmcb
sdmcb is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default 200k

I blew a dif pin in my tranny..replaced it with a junk yard tran..had a shop replace it..they put in dex 6 fluid..said he read thats what it needed..tranny whines at 25 mph......what do you think...drain tranny and refill with normal fluid.....twice..before I blow another dif pin?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdmcb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdmcb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: 200k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcb View Post
I blew a dif pin in my tranny..replaced it with a junk yard tran..had a shop replace it..they put in dex 6 fluid..said he read thats what it needed..tranny whines at 25 mph......what do you think...drain tranny and refill with normal fluid.....twice..before I blow another dif pin?
NEVER EVER use Dex6. Not compatible with SATURN trans. Saturn trans are not GM trans. Need to get that fluid out ASAP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
Need to get that fluid out ASAP.
Correct, that fluid will aid in ejecting the differential pin from the transmission. OldNuc has said it can cause cone separation on the synchros also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I ran my auto for 50k miles on dex 6 -- no ill effects whatsoever. I have since changed back to dex/merc.

This was when dex 6 was just released and it was touted as a direct replacement for dex 3.

I'd drain it, though.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
sdmcb
sdmcb is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
I have been looking for a fluid that will work since GM stopped the rights to making dex 3....anybody find one that actually works without killing the the trans? And by the way..now I think I know why my old tranny failed...went to the dealership to buy new fluid..did not know about the dex 6 issue..That Is What They Sold Me.. Live and learn...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdmcb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdmcb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
I have been looking for a fluid that will work since GM stopped the rights to making dex 3....anybody find one that actually works without killing the the trans? And by the way..now I think I know why my old tranny failed...went to the dealership to buy new fluid..did not know about the dex 6 issue..That Is What They Sold Me.. Live and learn...
I think I put Mobil1 in mine...Whichever said it was Dex3 compatible. Don't recall what brand, it was quite a while ago. I live in Iowa as well. What part are you in?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote