SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
DonFelts
DonFelts will become famous soon enoughDonFelts will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default ignition switch

I took my new 99 sl2 out for a spin tonight.When I got home and turned the key off ,it didn't want to come out nor could I turn to start the car either.I eventually was able to pull straight out and the key came out with resistance.Any advice or suggestions?I think my wheels are straight and not on the curb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonFelts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonFelts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: ignition switch

You need to get a dealer or quality lock smith cut key, not a ground copy from that worn one, and probably replace the cylinder. Any decent locksmith can read the keycode and punch out a new sharp key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
DonFelts

1999 SL2

Is the cylinder something the locksmith would have?....or is it going to be a dealer item?I was thinking maybe one of the mobile locksmiths.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DonFelts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

A good automotive locksmith should have it and get it on a mobile truck. Getting a cut key will require reading the key code to be able to cut it and grinding out a copy will not remove the wear that is causing your problem. Both the key and wafers are worn out so both require fixing for the fix to last.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
DonFelts

1999 SL2

Update this am.I had some silicone spray that put in the cylinder and was able to finally turn the key.Seems as though whatever "springs the key" forward was sticking as the dinger was on even though the key was out.Now seems to be working fine....however I plan to obtain new cylinder and factory type key.Would I have better luck at an indie locksmith or the dealer? TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Try the independent automotive locksmith first as it will be much cheaper. Silicone is a very short lived fix, when it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
DonFelts

1999 SL2

I went to a recommended indie and he told me he couldn't do it....so I went to the GM dealer and got a factory key and it works fine for $33.The dealer said indie should have been able to do it.The cylinder is $98.Dealer said when I get the cylinder I can get the indie to pair them up.I know the silicone won't last,but it is what I had on hand.Any longer term solution as far as a spray?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sure, flush the cylinder out with CRC QD-Electronic Connection Cleaner that you buy at the parts store. Put a big towel down on the floor and flush the gook out of the lock cylinder. The cleaner will run out of the lock cylinder onto the floor or the towel, you want it on the towel. It runs out off the lower edge of the lower cover. Then allow the cylinder to dry out completely. This takes a fair amount of time to dry internally. Get a tube of dry graphite lock lube and put a single small shot into the lock. This should keep it going for quite a while. Amazon sells the cylinders with the wafer sets and you can code your own lock cylinder much cheaper than the dealer.

I have links and instructions for the coding exercise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
DonFelts

1999 SL2

Thanks for the info...also the dealer gave me the code number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Code number can be turned into the actual cut code which is what you need to key the lock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
DonFelts

1999 SL2

I found the CRC spray but I couldn't find any graphite powder.Any suggestions?I live in Phoenix so stores shouldn't be a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just about any locksmith should have the dry graphite, do not use a liquid or spray. Play with it so you can control the amount as you want just a very light dust, too much wi bind up the lock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Blaster makes a dry graphite lube you can get at homedepot. My cylinder tends to stick and doesn't want to pop back out. Over the years I have lost all my original keys and am using a 2nd or 3rd generation copy. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025975...1#.UVOhwxykq8Q

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
DonFelts

1999 SL2

Thanks guys for the suggestions.Oldnuc I saw the cylinder on Amazon.It's like $50 shipped.What is the little clip in the picture?What should I expect to pay to have paired with my new key?TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have to get the correct cylinder. If you can find a good shop they will sell you the cylinder, code it, and install for not much more than those amazon prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
DonFelts

1999 SL2

Guess I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow. Will update.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, that is the way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!