SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
delicious neo
delicious neo is on a distinguished road

Default 2.2L Vue No start, no spark, no codes

2.2 L 4cylinder 2005 Saturn Vue. 2 wheel drive 5 speed manual. Head gasket blew so I pulled the motor and fixed. I now have zero spark at all four plugs. Replaced crankshaft position sensor, battery is new, new spark plugs. Verified and cleaned all grounds I know i disconnected(ground on bcm/pcm, 3 ground wires above starter, ground below battery tray, ground block to head) Verified all sensors are in fact plugged in. No security light flashing during start so I don't believe anti theft is locking up anything.(ran the 30 min reprogram/relearning sequence to ensure) No codes are pulling via OBDII port. All fuses have been check and are in working order. Have fuel(verified at fuel rail, pump is running, plugs smell of light fuel, etc....) Before I go insane or drink to much beer does anyone have any ideas what could cause no spark with no codes? Motor turns over but no combustion. Thanks!

Last edited by delicious neo; 03-23-2013 at 02:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delicious neo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delicious neo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delicious neo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2.2L Vue No start, no spark, no codes

You're left with either the ignition control module or coil pack. Search past threads about no-start issues. Since you eliminated the crank sensor, what's left are the icm and coil pack.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
delicious neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You're left with either the ignition control module or coil pack. Search past threads about no-start issues. Since you eliminated the crank sensor, what's left are the icm and coil pack.
Those are my two best guesses as well. Is there a way to test the ICM? I find it hard to believe the coilpacks went bad. Don't these run on a two coil pack system where if one fails two cylinders misfire? By two i mean two separate coils under the plastic cover?

Weird, both the coil and ICM were fine before pulling the motor. What would have caused a failure in either just pulling motor and putting back in? Last question is could the entire PCM/BCM have failed?

*Not saying I read through all post but I've read through plenty before posting and it seems most people are able to pull codes or have this issue with only two cylinders running. Any help is much appreciated as before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help delicious neo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In general, spark generation for two cylinders comes from one coil. Losing all spark would mean both coils failed. The chances for two coils to fail are low. The ignition control module has a higher probability of failure than the coil pack. The pcm runs the entire EFI system. Pcm's rarely fail.

Check to be sure injectors are working - starting always injects fuel into every cylinder so a no-start problem should show wet plugs. Ensuring wet plugs verifies the crank sensor and pcm are operating. Spark should be available too. A spark test would help to isolate a fuel or spark issue.

No spark in your situation would lead me to believe the ignition control module failed. Check every fuse. Coil packs can be measured for resistance with a multimeter. I don't know if Autozone can test icm's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
delicious neo

Pulled coil/icm apart and tested coil. Numbers read as follows:
Across 1-4 spark towers: 4.1k ohms
Across 2-3 spark towers: 4.1k ohms
Tested coils at pins and got .8k ohms on both.

I believe these values are within spec and the coil is good?

Spark plugs smelled of gas and after trying to start the car originally...also with pumping the gas in attempt to start car....the cylinders flooded so injectors are spraying.

I'm going to assume for some strange reason the ICM has failed during rebuild. Local parts store does test ICM's, but said that this model ICM doesn't fit the machine and I'm S.O.L.

Thanks for all the help and information. Hate to spend the money and find out its something else. Can't return ICM after installing....even after trying to persuade the guy to let me just this once lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious neo View Post
Those are my two best guesses as well. Is there a way to test the ICM? I find it hard to believe the coilpacks went bad. Don't these run on a two coil pack system where if one fails two cylinders misfire? By two i mean two separate coils under the plastic cover?

Weird, both the coil and ICM were fine before pulling the motor. What would have caused a failure in either just pulling motor and putting back in? Last question is could the entire PCM/BCM have failed?

*Not saying I read through all post but I've read through plenty before posting and it seems most people are able to pull codes or have this issue with only two cylinders running. Any help is much appreciated as before.
I've heard for Vue's with 2.2 - GM used same electrical connectors for fuel and ignition harness - making it easy to cross connect them.

I suspect you're the sort of person that marks all wiring so that couldn't possibly be your problem.

fdryer's suggestion to check fuses sounds good to me. And, I've attached a thumbnail for ignition wiring in case you don't have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.2 Ignition Circuit.jpg (191.5 KB, 22 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
delicious neo

I didnt have that diagram and it will surely help out tomorrow when u get back to it.

I marked a good bit if the connectors and grounds but definitely not every single one. Thanks for the heads up on same plugs. Ill double check those connectors tomorrow to see if they are in fact the same. As for the fuses they have all been checked and verified :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Considered used icm's from ebay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
delicious neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Considered used icm's from ebay?
Looks like they have some fairly cheap ones if you go the used route. Going to look into our pull a part yards in Atlanta as well. Might be worth the hour drive to pick up immediately.

On a side note I forgot to tell y'all about the throttle body yesterday. I turned the motor over for a few seconds yesterday just to look for spark at plugs. Started tinkering around motor again and just happened to brush the throttle body and it was hot. You could maybe hold your hand on it for 1-2 seconds at a time. Nothing else was even remotely warm with me just turning over shortly. Any ideas or concerns? I removed sensor and battery overnight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Looks like they have some fairly cheap ones if you go the used route. Going to look into our pull a part yards in Atlanta as well. Might be worth the hour drive to pick up immediately.

On a side note I forgot to tell y'all about the throttle body yesterday. I turned the motor over for a few seconds yesterday just to look for spark at plugs. Started tinkering around motor again and just happened to brush the throttle body and it was hot. You could maybe hold your hand on it for 1-2 seconds at a time. Nothing else was even remotely warm with me just turning over shortly. Any ideas or concerns? I removed sensor and battery overnight.

Which part of throttle body (TB) was hot?

The part with connector contains TB blade drive motor.

If ignition and injector wiring is reversed it could overheat the motor - and if I correctly recall - can also wipe-out ECM.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
delicious neo

The entire TB was hot but the motor was the hottest spot on TB. Starting to think maybe there is in fact two plugs that are the same and possibly swapped. Won't get a chance to look at it again until tonight . Hopefully nothing fried, especially bcm!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Which part of throttle body (TB) was hot?

The part with connector contains TB blade drive motor.

If ignition and injector wiring is reversed it could overheat the motor - and if I correctly recall - can also wipe-out ECM.
OK ... please disregard my comments regarding swapping connections at injectors and ignition. It didn't look correct - but I kept writing.

The identical connectors are for the Throttle Actuator Control Module - which is part of throttle body and the in-line harness connector between ECM and engine fuel injectors.

If these connectors are reversed - and I really hope they are not - I could see where both throttle body and ECM could be damaged. Note Pin E for fuel injector harness has +12 volts - and if this connector was connected to throttle body - the Pin E contact there expects to see something less than 5 volts.

I've attached pin-outs for both connectors - you can see they have same part numbered connector - and you can compare signals on each contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.2 TAC Throttle Body.jpg (94.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Injector C-150.jpg (112.8 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
delicious neo

Quote:
OK ... please disregard my comments regarding swapping connections at injectors and ignition. It didn't look correct - but I kept writing.

The identical connectors are for the Throttle Actuator Control Module - which is part of throttle body and the in-line harness connector between ECM and engine fuel injectors.

If these connectors are reversed - and I really hope they are not - I could see where both throttle body and ECM could be damaged. Note Pin E for fuel injector harness has +12 volts - and if this connector was connected to throttle body - the Pin E contact there expects to see something less than 5 volts.

I've attached pin-outs for both connectors - you can see they have same part numbered connector - and you can compare signals on each contact.
The bad news......the connectors were wrong and plugged in opposite. Even worse news is they are now fixed and still zero spark. If the throttle actuator control module was bad, would cause zero spark? I would think maybe it wouldn't hold an idle or run rough but still spark correctly.

Do you think I should now eliminate its the ICM and assume the BCM fried? Also is there a way I can test ECM or can GM test it if I remove it and bring them the board itself?

My day just got real ****ty....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The bad news......the connectors were wrong and plugged in opposite. Even worse news is they are now fixed and still zero spark. If the throttle actuator control module was bad, would cause zero spark? I would think maybe it wouldn't hold an idle or run rough but still spark correctly.

Do you think I should now eliminate its the ICM and assume the BCM fried? Also is there a way I can test ECM or can GM test it if I remove it and bring them the board itself?

My day just got real ****ty....
In my inexpert opinion (IMIO) the reversed connectors could have whacked the ECM pull up voltage power supply (2.5 volts). This could keep ECM from recognizing signal from CKP.

I'll go back thru a few layers of diagrams to see if there's a common sense method to check for needed voltages.

I don't know who can test ECM but you might be able to find one from salvage for a reasonable price (less than $75).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
delicious neo

Well its gotten worse. After swapping the sensors to correct them...I now have lost fuel in cylinders. Still have fuel at the rail but nothing is spraying. Still no spark either. The ECM fuse blew out when the throttle body "overheated" so I replaced the fuse and still no spark. Throttle body must have also tanked because the throttle plate doesn't move when gas pedal is touched. When I try to move the plate by hand it also sticks and has trouble moving open.(takes some force to spring open and doesn't shut when let go) Assume no fuel spraying could be to the loss of ECM and also throttle body jamming?

Looks like junkyard run is in my future after this mistake lol. Might just pick up ECM, ICM, and TB while I'm there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I'll go back thru a few layers of diagrams to see if there's a common sense method to check for needed voltages.
Do you have digital multimeter? If so, unplug connector from CKP and use meter to check for DC voltage between 2 and 4 volts from both connector contacts to a good ground.

Voltage should be present with key ON or OFF assuming: (1) ECM is receiving 12 volts, and (2) ECM is not fried.

Fuses providing power to ECM are ECM/TCM 10A located in Underhood fuse block (UHFB). This fuse is hot at all times (connected to ECM C1 - pin 20.

PWR TRAIN 10A fuse (UHFB) also provides power to ECM C1-pin10 when Ignition Switch is set to RUN/START.

If ECM does receive voltage from PWR TRAIN fuse it will latch MAIN Relay which provides power to ETC Fuse 15A (ETC=electronic throttle control) and relay and ETC fuse are in UHFB.

Key fuse to power the injectors and ignition control module is IGN/INJ 15A which is also in UHFB.

I have diagrams for power from battery through the paths discussed above - let me know if you'd like to have them. (Left click on my screen-name and send private message - comes to my cell).

EDIT - just seen your last post. Check the ETC fuse mentioned above and I'd also disconnect battery ground cable - step on brake pedal for a few seconds (drains voltage stored in a few caps) - reconnect battery cable and have assistant turn key on (not to start) while you watch throttle body blade - it should move around and then park slightly open. Turn key off and then try starting engine.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 03-24-2013 at 06:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
delicious neo

Haven't had a chance to run through all the voltages you sent in last post. I did recheck all the fuses discussed again and they are all still good. I was mistaken in my previous post. It was NOT the ECM fuse that blew it was the IGN/INJ fuse that fried.

I also disconnected battery, drained power, reconnected of couse-and the throttle body didn't budge at all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
delicious neo

In addition to all the stuff in last post about TB.....

Fusebox voltages:
Ecm fuse-12v(key on or off)
Pwr train fuse-11._v(only key on)
etc fuse-11._v(only key on)
I pulled pwr train fuse while car on and plugged it back in while hot and I can hear the main relay click.

CKP connecter has 0v while key off, one side of connecter receives 2.5v when key switched on on. Other side of connecter remains at 0v regardless if key on or off! That is correct based on your post, correct?

I have not pinned out anything at ecm connecters....I can if needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
In addition to all the stuff in last post about TB.....

Fusebox voltages:
Ecm fuse-12v(key on or off)
Pwr train fuse-11._v(only key on)
etc fuse-11._v(only key on)
I pulled pwr train fuse while car on and plugged it back in while hot and I can hear the main relay click.

CKP connecter has 0v while key off, one side of connecter receives 2.5v when key switched on on. Other side of connecter remains at 0v regardless if key on or off! That is correct based on your post, correct?

I have not pinned out anything at ecm connecters....I can if needed.
I'm not sure I agree with the instructions about reading 2 to 4 volts from each wire to ground.

The way I see the circuit - you should measure between 2 and 4 volts on the yellow wire of connector removed from CKP, with other meter lead to either ground or to the purple wire in connector leading back to ECM.

While you are at CKP - select ohms and verify the CKP sensor is still good by checking for 800 -1200 ohms between the two sensor contacts.

A dead throttle actuator control module would explain the fuel issue but I don't think it'd kill the ICM.

Also, the throttle blade should move at each key ON - no movement probably indicates either the sensors or motor - or both - are toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
delicious neo

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with the instructions about reading 2 to 4 volts from each wire to ground.

The way I see the circuit - you should measure between 2 and 4 volts on the yellow wire of connector removed from CKP, with other meter lead to either ground or to the purple wire in connector leading back to ECM.

While you are at CKP - select ohms and verify the CKP sensor is still good by checking for 800 -1200 ohms between the two sensor contacts.

A dead throttle actuator control module would explain the fuel issue but I don't think it'd kill the ICM.

Also, the throttle blade should move at each key ON - no movement probably indicates either the sensors or motor - or both - are toast.
I think the TB motor is toast.....feels terrible when moving and very stiff. Had fuel before so I assume my fuel issue is just TB related.

The CKP is 684 ohms on both the new CKP and the old one reads very close to the new one. I'm getting 2.5v off the purple wire when the key is on. 0v on yellow wire with key off or on still.

If the fuel pump is cutting on and I hear it running for a second upon start wouldn't that mean the ECM is powering/running?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!