SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Ikiris
Member
Ikiris is on a distinguished road
 
Ikiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Posts: 400
 

1998 SC2
Default Shifting to second at 3000 almost every time

2004 Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 AWD. It seems as that even when i am very light on the gas, it almost always shift at or around 3000rpm. Is this normal for the crazy Honda drivetrain(Have never owned an Import)

All gears shift nicely though.

...
04 Vue 3.5L V6 AWD 242000 km
00 Impala LS 3.8 V6 Loaded 262000 km SOLD
98 SC2 5speed-265000 km SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ikiris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ikiris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ikiris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all
 
far2grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 6,714
 

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Shifting to second at 3000 almost every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikiris View Post
2004 Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 AWD. It seems as that even when i am very light on the gas, it almost always shift at or around 3000rpm. Is this normal for the crazy Honda drivetrain(Have never owned an Import)

All gears shift nicely though.
Try watching the speedometer rather than tach. I've attached an extract for you to see typical correlation of throttle setting with gear changing speeds.

The chart only shows three different throttle settings - 7.5, 44 and 100% but you'll eventually be able to fill in the blanks.

Keep in mind there's lots more than gear changes going on in the transmission. Unlike older transmissions, the 5AT (GM RPO code for Hondamatic) will engage the torque converter clutch (TCC) in all gears except 1st gear.

This is done to eliminate the inefficiencies normally encountered by using strictly fluid coupling between engine and transmission for urban driving.

The down-side of extended TCC operation is "tach-watchers" will notice subtle RPM changes - even when traveling at fixed speed on what appears to be level terrain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 ATI.jpg (94.7 KB, 8 views)

...
"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Ikiris
Member
Ikiris is on a distinguished road
 
Ikiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Posts: 400
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Shifting to second at 3000 almost every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Try watching the speedometer rather than tach. I've attached an extract for you to see typical correlation of throttle setting with gear changing speeds.

The chart only shows three different throttle settings - 7.5, 44 and 100% but you'll eventually be able to fill in the blanks.

Keep in mind there's lots more than gear changes going on in the transmission. Unlike older transmissions, the 5AT (GM RPO code for Hondamatic) will engage the torque converter clutch (TCC) in all gears except 1st gear.

This is done to eliminate the inefficiencies normally encountered by using strictly fluid coupling between engine and transmission for urban driving.

The down-side of extended TCC operation is "tach-watchers" will notice subtle RPM changes - even when traveling at fixed speed on what appears to be level terrain.
Ok cool, definitely not what I expected. Glad this is fairly normal. I have a bunch of work to do to the vehicle over the next few weeks. I just bought it last Saturday. Going to change out all of the fluids, and do the timing belt in a month or so.

...
04 Vue 3.5L V6 AWD 242000 km
00 Impala LS 3.8 V6 Loaded 262000 km SOLD
98 SC2 5speed-265000 km SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ikiris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ikiris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ikiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
RedGeminiPA
Senior Member
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough
 
RedGeminiPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,436
 

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Shifting to second at 3000 almost every time

I'll chime in...

My '04 does the same thing. My former '05, after having the torque converter campaign done, turned into a different animal. It would shift into 2nd well before 3,000 RPM. If I remember correctly, it was more like 2,400 RPM and slightly lower under light throttle.

Sadly, GM ignores the '04 under that campaign. I just think of it as being more aggressive, almost sporty and speedy.

...
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Ikiris
Member
Ikiris is on a distinguished road
 
Ikiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Posts: 400
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Shifting to second at 3000 almost every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
I'll chime in...

My '04 does the same thing. My former '05, after having the torque converter campaign done, turned into a different animal. It would shift into 2nd well before 3,000 RPM. If I remember correctly, it was more like 2,400 RPM and slightly lower under light throttle.

Sadly, GM ignores the '04 under that campaign. I just think of it as being more aggressive, almost sporty and speedy.
Thanks so much. Just glad it's not an issue, just normal. haha I do like the vehicle I have owned it for a week now. Drives great. Putting in my Pioneer AppRadio this weekend.

...
04 Vue 3.5L V6 AWD 242000 km
00 Impala LS 3.8 V6 Loaded 262000 km SOLD
98 SC2 5speed-265000 km SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ikiris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ikiris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ikiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's that time again - 1999 Saturn SL2 automatic shifting gone crazy. ncinerate S-Series Tech 15 12-10-2011 11:31 PM
Hard Time Shifting Piczaso S-Series Tech 3 02-18-2011 04:47 PM
Idles @ 3000! Help!!! miker351w S-Series Tech 4 08-02-2008 10:33 AM
Oil Change at 3000? TheMarshall 2008 Vue 8 03-03-2008 07:52 PM
Mr. 3000! ThePlainsman Outlook General 16 04-11-2007 10:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.