SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Need help (transmission/clutch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Common sense in vehicle maintenance says: same transmission, same engine - must work.
And it turns out that sometimes they don't. I was 100% at one point that the 1.8L engines in the current Cruze and Sonic were a straight swap, but there's always stupid little things that can make individual parts not cross-compatible. A recent example is the coil packs for our cars. The Astra coil pack is about three times the cost of the Cruze coil pack, and you'd think they'd be a straight swap. Turns out the stupid electrical connector is different, which means that the entire wiring loom inside the engine compartment might be different too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
This is NOT a car you're going to want if you are looking to be cheap. Think MB parts costs with similar reliability. You're not going to want to hold onto this car if a $600 clutch job scares you.
When I read "MB", I thought you wrote "MGB" and wanted to punch you in the face.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Phatfire I pm'd you back from last night, not sure if they sent. Astra La Vista and I have been talking and he suggested these parts are what I should order. do you agree ? Im about to order them now just seeing if you agree https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Sorry Part nUmbers:

CK9912
NSC0010

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
AstraTurf
AstraTurf is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the clutch on my wife's '09 Astra at 80k mi and ran into even worse problems with part availability. It is a Canadian '09, imported to the US as a used car.

The complete kit was not available from GM dealers in the US or Canada. None of the US sites such as RockAuto have them either. My competent and knowledgeable independent shop gave up trying to find parts, even though he specializes in European imports. Thanks to phatfire6 and this thread, I was able to track down the correct parts in Europe.

If you are looking for parts, search for Opel Astra H 1.8L (140 bhp, petrol engine). For the clutch, be sure they specify "from engine 20KC3241". All US and Canada Astras are engine number 20KC3241 and later.

I ordered a LuK kit from Mick's Garage. A comparable kit from SACHS was also available, and the same parts were available on BestPartStore.co.uk and others. I chose Mick's Garage because they had the lowest price including shipping to the US. Other sites charged $120 for shipping, Mick's included shipping and priced everything in USD.

The part number is LuK Clutch Kit 621305033, which includes the pressure plate, clutch plate, and central slave cylinder (CSC). Old guys like me should note that the CSC design incorporates the throw-out (or releaser) bearing into the slave cylinder.

Cost of the LuK kit was $320 including delivery. Kit came via the USPS in 5 working days. Labor cost to install it was $690 here in north central Indiana. My mechanic said the parts worked well and was pleased with the feel of the pedal.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, my wife's Asterisk is now back on the road. I guess I won't be using it to teach my teenagers to drive a stick.

AstraTurf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraTurf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraTurf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
crzyalbo
crzyalbo is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

it is the same kit as in the Chevrolet Sonic. they can readily be found at any dealer here in Canada...but the price....the price you purchased your entire kit is about 1/3 the price from the dealer here. I changed out my clutch last year and paid nearly $800 cdn with some discounts for parts alone. I did the clutch with a buddy so it only cost be a case of 24.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crzyalbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crzyalbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote