SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
02RedVue
02RedVue is on a distinguished road

Sad 02 v6 awd stuck in snow only front wheels spin??

Hi guys.. I'm very new on here, well I got my vue about 7 months ago and since have look on here for many and many of things from how to change front wheel bearing (witch was a lot of horror stories, but it wasn't bad at all) to how to fix the oil leak when its really cold out. That was the beat thred ever btw.. thank you guys for that. Anyway this is my first post but I was really pissed to night I got stuck in the snow and only the front wheels would spin.. its an 02 awd v6.. was just wondering y that was???? That's my main question but also wile trying to get it out I tried putting it in Low and didn't word then I and so I'm wondering also what the I gear is on the tranny... well thanks for reading!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02RedVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02RedVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02RedVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 02 v6 awd stuck in snow only front wheels spin??

Something's odd here. With AWD and traction control (unless you temporarily disabled it) none of the (front) wheels should spin. In awd mode the rears should have engaged. I realize this question may seem stupid but is there a drive shaft connecting the front xmission to the rear?

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Something's odd here. With AWD and traction control (unless you temporarily disabled it) none of the (front) wheels should spin. In awd mode the rears should have engaged. I realize this question may seem stupid but is there a drive shaft connecting the front xmission to the rear?
AFAIK you can't have traction control and AWD (true for 04-07 Vue's - not sure about 02-03).

The AWD prop-shaft should rotate any time front wheels turn. The RDM notes rotation speed and drives rear wheels to match prop-shaft.

Several owners have removed prop-shaft to avoid cost of repairing RDM and others have done so to improve MPG. I suggest the OP check to make sure the shaft is installed on the 02 Vue.

Based on normal ops for 04-07 Vue's with V-6 ... placing gear selector to L "should" lock the transmission to 1st (and possibly option to shift to 2nd).

The shift commands are sent from gear shift console to transmission control module through connector C-200 (behind kick panel next to seated drivers left foot).

Corroded C-200 contacts can cause electronic throttle control issues, shifting problems, HVAC fan problems, noisy radios and many other glitches.

I think my first step would be to make sure I had a prop-shaft installed and next step would be to check condition of C-200.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
02RedVue
02RedVue is on a distinguished road

OK.. well there is no traction control.. and I looked under it and there is a drive shaft going to the rear end.. but like I said no spin out of back wheels, even in low

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02RedVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02RedVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02RedVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02RedVue View Post
OK.. well there is no traction control.. and I looked under it and there is a drive shaft going to the rear end.. but like I said no spin out of back wheels, even in low
I put my Vue on four jack-stands to test AWD.

When front wheels spin - the drive-shaft (also referred to as prop-shaft) spins and rear wheels should also spin.

To repeat - with all four corners in air - all tires should rotate at same speed. If rear wheels are not rotating it could be due to low, or no, VersaTrak fluid in the rear drive module (RDM).

If RDM has fluid - you can assume something is messed-up internally.

By the way - if you lift the Vue to try AWD test - do not rev the engine in any gear as this will cause transmission to up-shift rapidly and could either scare the heck out of you, or damage a few rotating parts (don't ask how I know).

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote