SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
konjiki7
konjiki7 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2001 SL
Default Saturn SL2 Spark-Plug blasphemy

I'm new to the world of Saturn but not to building and working on cars.

I ready a lot of different post about spark plugs and had actually did you spark plug test of my own. Most notable a new plug on the market Nitrode spark plugs.

I was interested in testing them mainly because in theory they should work well. I also thought so with the E3 plugs too.... I was sadly mistaken.

Auto-light/ Champion coppers
These are the standard plugs a ran in my last Saturn.

In the current 99 Saturn SL2 DOHC I pretty much tried everyplug in the local stores and took them back... In all honesty when i read about certain plugs not working well S series i was a little skeptical. Credit to the posters who provided that info because it was very accurate...

99% of plugs outside of basic copper plugs simple do not work well. The two percent that did I included below.

So I made list below of what my experience was with various plugs using the following ranking system.

Start-up performance
Idle
Efficiency/mpg
Throttle response
Price

Ratings are poor/average/ great

Auto-light/ Champion coppers(these perform exactly the same in my sl2)

Start-up performance -average
Idle - poor/average (slightly below average idle consistency)
Efficiency/mpg -average (36mpg)
Throttle response - poor
Price - Great

NGK NGK BKR5ESA-11(I choose heat range 5 slightly better performance noticeable when i have passengers and driving up hills)

Idle - average (smoother then Auto-light/ Champion coppers)
Efficiency/mpg -average(36mpg)
Throttle response - great
Price - Great

Denso copper (very similar to NGk)

Start-up performance -Great
Idle - average
Efficiency/mpg -poor(34.5mpg)
Price - Poor

E3 plugs

Probably the worse plugs you could run on S series car. I don't have anything against E3 because they were the best plug for my old 95 Subaru legacy.

Idle - poor
Efficiency/mpg -poor(30 mpg)
Price - Poor

Bosch +4

Idle - average
Efficiency/mpg -poor(32 mpg)
Throttle response - average
Price - Poor

Nitrode SP-NP21( Hands down the best performing plug so far... Idles smooth as my 240sx that has a JDM motor that features coil on plug which is extremely impressive.)

Idle - Great
Efficiency/mpg -Great (37.5 mpg)
Throttle response - Great
Price - Very Poor

Final thoughts

Nitrode plugs are extremely impressive new approach that actually works great with the gm waste spark ignition. The only major trade of is price and availability as jegs is the only major carrier of the part.

NGK's can give you 80% of what the Nitorde plugs are capable of. It really comes down to preference and budget.

I personally love having a very smooth idle which helps cut down on noisy plastic pieces in the interior and allows me to not have the radio on all the time. New motor mounts would probably make the sputtering misfire system less noticeable. Engine response is very important to me as I nice to be able to stay in a high gear in traffic. The engine performs much better from 2k to 5k so for me the Nitrode plugs are worth it. The only things about this plug I'm unsure of is longevity... with that said i can't imagine these being change as frequently as copper plugs.

I will also be testing these on my street/track driven 240sx. The car is turbo so it uses sp-np21c vs sp-np21's. The plugs are similar enough to post results. If these perform well initially I will sneak these into my dyno tuning session with my 240sx.

I hope this information is as helpful as previous post on this subject!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to konjiki7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help konjiki7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
konjiki7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
Default Re: Saturn SL2 Spark-Plug blasphemy

I'm also curious how long they last being that they're $9 a pop. The Yttrium bridge is interesting. I'm guessing it just provides a path to the ground electrode, extending the length of the spark. During your experiment, how constant were the other variables in your test (driving style, highway/city mix, outside temps, where you got your fuel, same coils and wires,...)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Banjoman
Banjoman is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Interesting post, sounds like the NGK would be a good choice. I haven't heard of the Nitrode plug before. Truth be told, I don't know what plugs are in my SL2, I checked if there was oil in the plug holes, (none!) but since they looked shiny and new, I left them alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Banjoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Banjoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Interesting post. It would be better to have objective measures rather than a ranking. For example, the mpg numbers are good, but need more info as mentioned.

Rather than something like, price good, it would be more informative to have something like, price, $2.50 per plug. And how you rank, criteria, etc., would be good to know as well. For example, how did you measure "throttle response"?

if you want to experiment more, you could try the Autolite APP3926 double-platinum. $4.50 each, but I got them on sale/rebate/discount for $2.50 or so.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
latner
latner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I have 35000 on a set of these:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/SparkP...mIrFusion.aspx

Still idles smooth and getting the same mpgs that I was getting when I installed them. I think I got them at autozone for $7 or $8 bucks each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to latner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help latner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

nice post i like it when someone does the hard work for me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

Interesting info, even if anecdotal. Thanks for posting it!

I have a car closing in on a plug change, might be tempted to try them out to see if I get the same results you did.

If (and I realize this is a big anecdotal if) one can improve MPG by 5, then I figure putting on 300miles a week will pay for themselves (over NGK) in about 4-5 wks.

Worst case is they perform worse, and I replace them and am out maybe $20 on a cheap, interesting experiment.

At best I get a good MPG boost, and can share with everyone so they can too.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
konjiki7
konjiki7 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Interesting post. It would be better to have objective measures rather than a ranking. For example, the mpg numbers are good, but need more info as mentioned.

Rather than something like, price good, it would be more informative to have something like, price, $2.50 per plug. And how you rank, criteria, etc., would be good to know as well. For example, how did you measure "throttle response"?

if you want to experiment more, you could try the Autolite APP3926 double-platinum. $4.50 each, but I got them on sale/rebate/discount for $2.50 or so.
I realize to some degree some of this is subjective... with that said this how I've defined "throttle response...

1. Constant throttle position to full open
2.Full throttle pull form stand still
3.Uphill

During my daily commute i have to merge on a highway with average speeds of 70-85mph. It's very noticeable when you hit the gas and the engine is "lazy"(struggle to move through it's power band) or "laggy"(delay response to throttle input).

The nitrode plug while pricey has produced very crisp and response driving experienced. After driving my first Saturn to 250k i thought the misfire ignition system was simply rough and not capable of smooth operations.

Ultimately I was shocked by how much more i enjoy my car because these plugs. Enough so to share it with others in hopes it may help some people out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to konjiki7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help konjiki7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
konjiki7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Saturn SL2 Spark-Plug blasphemy

I have to chuckle a little bit.

This is not meant in any way negatively toward konjiki7 whose results are rather interesting. Nice writeup BTW.

I am in the middle of testing a spark plug mod idea that seems to give me about 80% of what the Nitrode plugs are all about.

I have nothing against the Nitrode plugs. They make more sense to me than almost any of the other exotic plugs I see out there. I'm just frugal.

I will be posting the details and final results of my mod in a week or two after I have run another couple of tanks of gas through it. So far I am very happy with the results.

Sorry for the teaser......

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

This interests me also, due to my commuting environment, I found another place to buy these:http://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=28269 they list it only for the coupes but looking at the Pilot PDF they install in:

SC:
2002-95
L4-1.9 (8) w/FI

2002-91
L4-1.9 (7) w/FI

1994-93
L4-1.9 (9) w/FI

SL:
2002-95
L4-1.9 (8) w/FI

2002-91
L4-1.9 (7) w/FI

1994-91
L4-1.9 (9) w/FI

SW:
2001-93
L4-1.9 (7) w/FI

1999-95
L4-1.9 (8) w/FI

1994-93
L4-1.9 (9) w/FI

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

If they improve the efficiency of the power train and are durable and reliable, then why not?

Someone else - please buy these just to verify and back-up the above post and confirm for us that are awaiting these much anticipated results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Back in 1998 Bosh stated that their Platinum plugs will work like dog crap in a waste spark ignition system (which the S-Series uses).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosch
The problem that Bosch has acknowledged when using their Platinum plugs in engines with waste spark ignition systems stems from the tendency of electrode metal to get transferred depending upon the polarity (direction of current flow) of the spark.
In waste spark ignition systems, 1/2 of the plugs always see reverse polarity sparks.
Given the very narrow platinum center electrode of the Bosch Platinums, performance will be degraded more significantly when reverse polarity sparks will cause material to be transferred from the large ground/outer electrode onto the narrow platinum center electrode's exposed end surface.
Currently driving ~500 miles a week (~110 miles/day), getting 36-38mpg on gas and maybe 400mpg on 5w30 with sub $3 plugs with my '96 SC2.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

Currently driving ~500 miles a week (~110 miles/day), getting 36-38mpg on gas and maybe 400mpg on 5w30 with sub $3 plugs with my '96 SC2.
Best typo ever. I'd like to meet that car.

I'm considering them in my next plug/wire change. Looking for more info now.

Helplessly in love with my:
White 95 SC2. Automagic ~ 144K
Engine swap, 20k less than body, burns no oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post

This is not meant in any way negatively toward konjiki7 whose results are rather interesting. Nice writeup BTW.

I am in the middle of testing a spark plug mod idea that seems to give me about 80% of what the Nitrode plugs are all about.

I have nothing against the Nitrode plugs. They make more sense to me than almost any of the other exotic plugs I see out there. I'm just frugal.

I will be posting the details and final results of my mod in a week or two after I have run another couple of tanks of gas through it. So far I am very happy with the results.

Everytime I see one of these multiple center electrode plugs I go and look in the book of ancient knowledge and discover that it has been done before. The secondary center electrode may actually cause it to function correctly in a waste spark system though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Well, I bit the bullet, and spent 48 bucks for a set of 4 from the link I posted. My only concern is longevity. but I have to admit I only drive my car for mostly short trips 10 miles or under, not much highway or long distance.

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle Dazzle View Post
Best typo ever. I'd like to meet that car.

I'm considering them in my next plug/wire change. Looking for more info now.
That wasn't a typo I'm adding a quart of 5w30 roughly every 110 miles. Only smokes sometimes when taking off in the morning and if I take it above 3500rpm (or spend over 1/4 mile in-gear off-throttle downhill). I know I can swap an engine in a day, I've done it before, but I don't trust it to go right enough to start Friday night and be 100% ready for Monday morning.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
That wasn't a typo I'm adding a quart of 5w30 roughly every 110 miles. Only smokes sometimes when taking off in the morning and if I take it above 3500rpm (or spend over 1/4 mile in-gear off-throttle downhill). I know I can swap an engine in a day, I've done it before, but I don't trust it to go right enough to start Friday night and be 100% ready for Monday morning.
Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about oil for the 400, should have put mpQ, not mpG xD
I'm planning on rebuild, or modification to eliminate my oil burning, which is bad.

Back on topic, I don't need plugs and wires for another 20k miles, but this just joined my list of products to check out. If it can survive my engine, it'll become a keeper

Helplessly in love with my:
White 95 SC2. Automagic ~ 144K
Engine swap, 20k less than body, burns no oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you are really oiling plugs just change them more often and use the cheap NGKs from RockAuto. Nothing has ever allowed making spark plugs last in an oil burner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
toggenburg
Advanced Member
toggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to all

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

1998 SW2
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Hello Fetchitfido...I PM'd you about your oil usage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post

Still playing with the side gapping eh?

I didn't even look at the Nitrode plug until today. It actually has some logic. It's really just a side gapped plug with a "jumper" electrode. And as much as people think there can't possibly be a better mousetrap, there often is.

I must admit I haven't toyed with side gapping on the Saturn, but have run some fairly large gaps on the stock system, idle be damned. There are reasons you often see big gaps, side gapping, indexing and such at the race track.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote