SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
95-SC2
95-SC2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
Default Im getting another saturn! IM BACK!

Well after my 95 SL1 i sold last jan. (which i still regret) that car was a giant project but it turned out great. so now im on to one EVEN WORSE! a 96 SW1 that is beat to hell..SOHC, 5spd with 272k on it. its gonna need the motor built on it so im going to do a decent build..maybe even go DOHC not sure. and im going to do a once over on the trans too while im at it. i have to also charge the a/c and do a TON of other maint/repairs. the interior hasnt been cleaned in at least 5 years. but for 1000 bucks i cant go wrong (even though my friend just paid 500 for it but i would do the exact same thing).
ill post some pics soon.
but in the mean time anyone have any thoughts or ideas? ive never dealt with a wagon before just coupes and sedans.

Oh before i forget are there aftermarket lights available anywhere? like projectors? or shaded or all red tails?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95-SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95-SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95-SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Im getting another saturn! IM BACK!

under the hood pretty much anything from one S-series to another within that same generation should be similar...

and if the motor needed a rebuild, I don't see how you should've been charged $1000 for the vehiccle... imho you were ripped off.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
95-SC2

1996 SW1

yeah im pretty knowledgeable about saturns..have had 2 already(sl1 & sc2) just no wagons. (plus im a certified Chrysler tech. so that helps ).
and it runs good just burns oil..so im happy paying a grand for it. since there are NO cheap cars around here for the most part...they have all been junked..a
95-98 sl2 goes for about 2500 -3000 here in good shape!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 95-SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

i agree with link... It woulda been one thing if everything else was up to snuff and you just had to focus on the motor. But with all of the other "maint/repairs" this sounds like a money shoot

Idk what things your looking to put your money into. But a bigger rear sway bar and rear strut brace would probably be very good investments for handling.

Also check out sixthsphere.com ... you need 25 posts to access the for sale section, but thats where you'll find aftermarket parts for these cars. HID conversions, sway bars, strut tower braces( real ones, not the ebay cheapos) and everything in between.

Good luck!

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeuces22 View Post
i agree with link... It woulda been one thing if everything else was up to snuff and you just had to focus on the motor. But with all of the other "maint/repairs" this sounds like a money shoot
to be honest with you, as/is there's bigger issues than the other maintenance and repairs.. just the dying/dead motor alone IMHO is more than enough reason to only charge for a few Franklins..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-SC2 View Post
yeah im pretty knowledgeable about saturns..have had 2 already(sl1 & sc2) just no wagons. (plus im a certified Chrysler tech. so that helps ).
Was just reassuring you that for the most part everything that you're familiar on your other Saturns should be the same on your SW.

Quote:
and it runs good just burns oil..so im happy paying a grand for it. since there are NO cheap cars around here for the most part...they have all been junked..a
95-98 sl2 goes for about 2500 -3000 here in good shape!
that bites...

that being said, see if you can get the all aluminimum radiator from Andy at AMR Enginnering.. and doesn't Andy have a better sway bar too?

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
95-SC2

1996 SW1

well luckily the motor is the main problem. the rest is just stuff to make it look better..like a thorough cleaning of the interior. a new p.s. headlight and a hood.
and other stuff like that. a plus though is it is 100% rust free.
also where can i find a wagon headliner? its just that flaky foam right now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
to be honest with you, as/is there's bigger issues than the other maintenance and repairs.. just the dying/dead motor alone IMHO is more than enough reason to only charge for a few Franklins..
I mean, i just saw a 99 sw2 go for $400 locally, bad head gasket... i agree with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
that being said, see if you can get the all aluminimum radiator from Andy at AMR Enginnering.. and doesn't Andy have a better sway bar too?
I think he's contemplating a possible group-buy for the 19mm rear sway bar, cant remember where i saw that. He did just do a group-buy for the front strut brace(which im part of)
theres also a rear strut brace group-buy started... supposedly this is a big improvement for wagons and they look solid(check the mods section)... i dont think the radiators shipped out yet, so you could probly get in on that but theyre $285 shipped

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
..a 95-98 sl2 goes for about 2500 -3000 here in good shape!
Where would that be?

Maybe it's time to sell my $800 car for $3,000

I think the group buys are usually posted in the Mods forum, and on 6s

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
95-SC2

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Where would that be?

Maybe it's time to sell my $800 car for $3,000

I think the group buys are usually posted in the Mods forum, and on 6s
south florida. i just looked on craigslist...theres a 98 sl1 with a blown head gasket for $1800

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
theres a 98 sl1 with a blown head gasket for $1800
Quote:
south florida.
that explains everything... everything is so over priced in south florida...

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

wow, $1k for a car with 272k miles.......

Guess I got off with a good deal on mine at $400 and 193K miles.

With that many miles, you may want to take a real close look at the Cam shaft.

I looked all over for decent Camshafts, and found a so-so one in Florida. I would NOT recommend "4URPARTS.COM". A guy there named Billy was supposed to send me pics of the Cam before he sent it out. When I received the Cam, all communication from him stopped. He was my best friend before the Cam arrived at my door, and then after that, I was dropped like a hot potato..... really bad service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
95-SC2

1996 SW1

[QUOTE=hunt4steve;1955327]wow, $1k for a car with 272k miles.......

Oh yeah? what should i be looking for? i've never had any problems but this car hasnt had a great life. (and it wont until i ofically own it..the kid that has it untill i get my money is an idiot. and a doesn't know a damn thing that i havent taught him) but it will soon be back to its former glory

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

[QUOTE=95-SC2;1955332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
wow, $1k for a car with 272k miles.......

Oh yeah? what should i be looking for? i've never had any problems but this car hasnt had a great life. (and it wont until i ofically own it..the kid that has it untill i get my money is an idiot. and a doesn't know a damn thing that i havent taught him) but it will soon be back to its former glory
Check my thread on redoing my car. There is a pic of a camshaft that has been toasted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
95-SC2

1996 SW1

[QUOTE=hunt4steve;1955359]
Quote:

Check my thread on redoing my car. There is a pic of a camshaft that has been toasted.
sounds like a plan..thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!