SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Aftermarket fog/driving lights

I'd like to replace the stock lights with aftermarket lights, from what I understand I would need to use a relay so I don't fry the wiring for it. My question is, what wires would I tap to get the aftermarkets to use to stock fog switch? Would I be able to do this without taking anything off in the interior and only being under the hood?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Aftermarket fog/driving lights

Run a 10amp (20a? depends on the lights) fused line from the battery (might be easier to use the 7mm bolt for the fuse box, put additions on top so the battery line is in direct contact with the fuse box) to a relay, then the power to the aftermarket lights. Tap into one of the stock fog light wires (driver side is probably easier) to switch the relay on/off.

This way they'll be powered by the battery with new, probably larger than stock, wiring and still work 100% like stock.

Use soldier and heat-shrink for the connections, crimps/quick-disconnects are good for testing and verifying but bad for a permanent outdoor install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Ok. While we're at it, any recommendations for lights?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
FullNelson13
FullNelson13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Ok. While we're at it, any recommendations for lights?
Hella Micro DE fog lamps. great, great fog lamp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FullNelson13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FullNelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Can you replace the bulbs in the Hellas? I know some lights you can't. And just to make sure I understand this I should use the stock foglight wire only to power the relay?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
FullNelson13

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Can you replace the bulbs in the Hellas? I know some lights you can't. And just to make sure I understand this I should use the stock foglight wire only to power the relay?
http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_Micro_DE_Wiring.aspx

check that out sir

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FullNelson13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Thanks for that link. Now I'm actually debating getting both more powerful fog lights AND some driving lights and simply having them side by side, with the fogs operated as normal (with the low beam) and the driving lights wired with the highbeams. Thoughts on this? I'd use relays and wire them either to the UHJB or battery for power.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
FullNelson13

1998 SC2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Now I'm actually debating getting both more powerful fog lights AND some driving lights and simply having them side by side, with the fogs operated as normal (with the low beam) and the driving lights wired with the highbeams. Thoughts on this? I'd use relays and wire them either to the UHJB or battery for power.
That would work. Just piggy back the high beam wire to switch on a relay for driving lights. so when you want high beams, the new driver lights would come on. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Getting new powerful fogs for normal use is always a good call as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!