SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
rcote20
rcote20 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default 03 Ion Coolant warning/check engine light.

We have an 03 Ion 2 sedan that appears to be full on coolant, however it recently started chiming "coolant" on the odometer a few seconds after starting it. Also, the check engine light came on at the same time, but we haven't had a chance to pull the code yet. Any ideas? Coolant sensor in coolant tank? We've got 134,000 miles, and I just flushed out coolant and put fresh coolant in it in December, and it has been good ever since up until now. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rcote20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rcote20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rcote20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: 03 Ion Coolant warning/check engine light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcote20 View Post
We have an 03 Ion 2 sedan that appears to be full on coolant, however it recently started chiming "coolant" on the odometer a few seconds after starting it. Also, the check engine light came on at the same time, but we haven't had a chance to pull the code yet. Any ideas? Coolant sensor in coolant tank? We've got 134,000 miles, and I just flushed out coolant and put fresh coolant in it in December, and it has been good ever since up until now. Thanks!
If the Tank hasn't been changed/serviced during those 134K miles... Then you are correct the sensor might have bit the dust (assuming the wire connection is good).

Might not hurt to check the Coolant is still -34F (50/50 blend) and get the code(s) pulled sooner rather then later. They probably aren't related... has the vehicle been performing oddly at all otherwise? Did you recently fill up with gas or check your gas cap?

Removing/Replacing it on the Gas Filler Neck just to make sure the seal looks good and to see if it clicks shut properly can't hurt. I recently replaced mine after the old one randomly wouldn't seal properly anymore (Seal was significantly cracked...) if it's dirty give it (the cap and the filler neck) a gentle cleaning with some paper towel.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

how do you get dust on a sensor submerged in coolant... the sensor fails, you need to replace the whole tank. :facepalm:

get the code read, you might be having any number of issues there... a common one is the gas cap, but until you get the code read, guessing is stupid (the coolant sensor will not set a code)

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
how do you get dust on a sensor submerged in coolant... the sensor fails, you need to replace the whole tank. :facepalm:

get the code read, you might be having any number of issues there... a common one is the gas cap, but until you get the code read, guessing is stupid (the coolant sensor will not set a code)
BIT! BIT the Dust!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Lol, misread

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
jlahood
jlahood is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post

I also have the same issue with the coolant chimming after start up. Can you not just replace the sensor or do you have to but the recovery tank also?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlahood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlahood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlahood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The sensor is a permanent part of the tank.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Update: Took car to my mechanic because coolant level is not low, and I wanted to have the check engine light scanned. When we hooked up the OBD II scanner to the car, it said: Error, cannot link to vehicle. (Or something of that nature). We then disconnected the battery for five mins, and obviously the check engine light went out, but the coolant warning stayed persistant. We again tried hooking up the scanner to the car after reconnecting the battery, and it would not connect. Any ideas? Computer issue, or something we're missing? Please help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rcote20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The cel, coolant message, and no communication aren't related. The front power outlet fuse is blown, so the scanner can't be powered on (the most common cause). The coolant tank needs ro be replaced, that's where the coolant message comes from. Disconnecting the battery does NOTHING.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

If the Fuse is OK... Your Mechanic might not be using a modern OBD II Scanner that supports the CAN Protocol which is required to communicate with the ION's computer. Have the Mechanic check the specs on that scanner to confirm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy Re: 03 Ion Coolant warning/check engine light.

Update: I went to Advance Auto and used their scanner. I pulled seven codes which each appeared twice.

P0031
P0037
P0135
P0141
P0458
P0498
P0520

Not sure what's going on here, but the car is running as good as ever with no sputtering or anything note worthy. The coolant light also started chiming the moment the check engine light came on. The coolant level is perfect. Thanks everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Update: I went to Advance Auto and used their scanner. I pulled seven codes which each appeared twice.

P0031
P0037
P0135
P0141
P0458
P0498
P0520

Not sure what's going on here, but the car is running as good as ever with no sputtering or anything note worthy. The coolant light also started chiming the moment the check engine light came on. The coolant level is perfect. Thanks everyone.
Depending on the scanner model the duplicate codes may actually be "pending" codes. So it's just telling you that it's repeating or a returning issue that hasn't gone away.

Did you have Advanced Auto clear the codes after you wrote them down? See if they'll come back (which they probably will). While you wait for them to come back... start looking up what each code means and see if any of them have things in common and start checking things off the list.

Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan

They allow us to use them in the parking lot, and I did not clear the codes because I wasn't sure if I would need them to be there in case I brought my car to the dealer. Any ideas what could be causing all of this? I find it hard to believe that I have that many lurking problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
They allow us to use them in the parking lot, and I did not clear the codes because I wasn't sure if I would need them to be there in case I brought my car to the dealer. Any ideas what could be causing all of this? I find it hard to believe that I have that many lurking problems?
Sounds like it's time to do some reading at http://www.obd-codes.com/ . Write down the codes and take some notes of what each code means... see what kinds of issues are related to each and what item(s) should be checked/repaired to fix. Look for common failure points or "easy" fixes that cost little or will take little effort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

First impressions... seems like bad electrical connection(s) are commonly associated with many (all?) the codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Since most of the codes are referring to the upstream oxygen sensor, is that a good place to start? Also, on the coolant light... I had a jumper put in when we unplugged it just to see if it would go out, and it did not. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
hoggman
hoggman is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

im having the same issue on my wifes 2007 ion.yoou have to change the tank because the sensor is all in one.apparently its tricky underneath because of a nut you have to remove.good luck to you
steven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoggman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoggman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan

What I'm saying is that a jumper should turn out the warning light, but it's not? Also, I was going to buy the oxygen sensor but don't want to waste my money if someone thinks there could be a different issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Are you out of warranty or not? While its a little moot, your car is yours and doesn't belong to any dealer. This means you can reset your SES indicator/error code(s) at any time, period. If the error still exists then one/several/all will return at the next engine start/run/drive. If none return (hopefully) then you have no more concerns. A return of any error code(s) simply means the error(s) will need to be addressed.

2-The low coolant switch, if I'm not mistaken, is generally wired in the open position with full coolant. Logic here dictates that a float sensor magnetically keeps a sealed reed switch in the open position, leaving the low level coolant light OFF. When coolant goes below a certain level and this float drops out of range of the reed switch the switch closes and sends a ground signal to the bcm to turn on the low level indicator. Disconnecting the sensor should turn off the indicator. Did you try leaving the jumper off and sensor disconnected?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
rcote20

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Yes, we disconnected the sensor without putting a jumper in it, and it still happened. Would it be a good idea to clean connections on the computer, and reset the check engine light before purchasing the oxygen sensor. It's not expensive for the sensor, but obviously I don't want to be wasting money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!