SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
kevster0522
kevster0522 has a spectacular aura aboutkevster0522 has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1
Default Re: Revs High when Clutch is pushed in

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Well, then I'm thinking that all that talk about T-stats and ECT aren't really germane. There should be virtually no difference in engine operation when sitting in neutral with the clutch pedal out or when the clutch pedal is pushed in. I have to assume you are sitting in neutral when the clutch pedal is out, otherwise the engine would be trying to move the car and there is much more that we have to ask. Obviously (?) if the engine is trying to move the car and you push the clutch pedal in it will rev up because it is no longer under load. Point is, we need the complete and exact story, and if I am right and engine speed is changing when clutch pedal is pushed in and trans is in neutral, then there is something going on down in the trans or clutch area; forget about engine temp for this revving.

Edit: forgot about the crank, that too can get affected when clutch pedal is pushed in.
The fact that it only happens when the engine is cold and not when it is warm says that it is engine temp related. It could very well be my driving style also. I usually only give the engine a split second between letting off the gas and pushing in the clutch. I'm sure if I gave it a full second with no gas and then pushed the clutch in the revving would be very minor or non-existent.

Either way I think the new stat was a job that needed to be done and the problem is pretty much resolved.

1995 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevster0522's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevster0522 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevster0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you brake down to less than ~1500 RPM or so when the engine is less than fully warmed up and then while still rolling disengage the clutch you will see an RPM jump. This is only abnormal behavior if it happens when stopped

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Okay, I understand now, this is happening while driving and shifting. Yep, driving style is the big factor here. I can make an engine stall or rev to rev-limit by just a slight variation on how I work the clutch. Agreed, cold-start WUE and fast-idle parameters can influence how the engine runs cold and how you have to control the clutch/throttle for best results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote