SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
84conv
84conv has a spectacular aura about84conv has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Time has Come to Replace my 98 SL2 with an 04 VUE, What should I know?

Ok, My 98 SL2 is dying a slow death after 430,000 good to me miles.
So today I am driving by an 04 Vue for $2,995.00 with 136K on it and it looks Super Clean. It is a 2.2L with a 5 Spd. No rattles, reasonably good pep, 4 good tires, Black exterior with minor rear bumper rash, no scratches, no visible leaks, PW PL and AM/FM. What should I look out for? Does the rear storage thing come out as I carry things around for work. What should I replace or check on it once I get it. I have had 2 new S series cars and 3 used ones since 96 and drive about 40 to 50K miles a year. I do most of my own maintence and the 2.2L looks pretty easy to work on. Also the used car dealer is going to replace a slightly noisy rear wheel bearing (truthfully it sounded ok to me) and put a new battery in it. He would only budge down to $2,900 and I gave him a $50 depisit. Any help appreciated!!!

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 84conv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 84conv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
84conv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Time has Come to Replace my 98 SL2 with an 04 VUE, What should I know?

To good to drive an S-Series? Oh I see how it is...What's wrong with your SL2?

96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taatman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taatman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
84conv

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Time has Come to Replace my 98 SL2 with an 04 VUE, What should I know?

Starting to leak oil from front main seal. Needs front stuts and springs $180 a piece plus alignment and what ever else is loose (maybe control arms) and two front tires $600 total. Also needs right rear wheel bearing. Lately seems all I do is fix it (really needs new drivers seat). I've been looking for another clean 5 spd S series, but they are getting hard to find or they want too much $$ for it. I've always wanted a VUE since they came out and if I do not like it, my wife says she would drive it and give the minivan to my daughter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 84conv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I've stacked 60 12x12 paverstones in my back cargo area- right on top of everything. It put the rear suspension on the bumpstops but no effect on the rear storage thing- it folds down and lays flat.

Brakes are a bit of a weak spot on VUEs. So is a noisy front end (end links and strut mounts). The engine is easy to work on, but at 100k miles, all mine has needed is some spark plugs, some oil, new coolant and a new battery.

I've had 2 s-series before and the VUE is a nice upgrade over them.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

They're noisy!

I love my '07 Vue, but you really hear the bumps.

Bad enough that one of my summer projects is going to be trying to figure out where to put the noise absorption sheets.

I think because of the way that the rear wheel wells are part of the cabin space, that it makes the noise worse. So that's probably where i'll start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

^^compared to my 2 previous S-series, my VUE is solid and quiet. It has a few squeaks and rattles, but nothing like either one of my S-series.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a good price - I'd have no issues buying it.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

That sounds like a pretty good price.

I have a rule of thumb for what I think makes a good deal. If I can get about 10 cents a mile, that's pretty good new or used.

So if you spend ~$3000 you should try to get 30,000 miles. I think a VUE is good for more than that, unless it has the VTI transmission.

I have mixed feelings about the cargo organizer. Sometimes it is helpful, sometimes not. You can't remove it from the floor panel *(well maybe you can if you really want to) but it just folds down and hides.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
84conv

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Got it yesterday! Odd though, PW PL and Cruise but just AM/FM radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
gaurdien
gaurdien will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

We have an 02 5sp 4 with 213,000 on it Have done the minor stuff, oil and filter on a regular basis. I also just redid the front end brakes(two calipers,pads and rotors). The sway bar end links are a week spot but not a major issue to change out yourself. And just check the plugs. Also i might have a am/fm cd radio from an 04 laying around. Will have to look and see, if you are interested pm me here.

Good things are happening..........., somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaurdien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaurdien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
^^compared to my 2 previous S-series, my VUE is solid and quiet. It has a few squeaks and rattles, but nothing like either one of my S-series.
huh, that's really funny to me. I gave my SL2 to my son, and it was a good bit quiter than my Vue is on the road.
maybe because it was a 10th anniversary special?
not sure, but I really hear the road in my '07 Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84conv View Post
Got it yesterday! Odd though, PW PL and Cruise but just AM/FM radio.

Looks almost identical to the one I just got. Nice little wagon. Not sure what folks are talking about with "noise over bumps". Tight solid car IMO. Wife likes it but hates the 5 spd. She's now making noises that she'd almost like me to sell it and get an auto rather than learn the 5 spd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84conv View Post
Odd though, PW PL and Cruise but just AM/FM radio.
Ya, strange. On the bright side it has a standard 2din opening so you can buy any GPS units for cheap and have it all for around $250 and about 30 minutes install time.
I don't think it is noisy, it is not super quite but not super noisy. It does have a bunch of sound insulation in doors and cabin.
If it has a stock clutch, get ready to replace it soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
84conv

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Well. Happy to report that after almost 25k, the only problem I have had is a faulty coil pack. Replaced it for around $90 from Auto Zone. It is cupping/chopping the drivers side inner rear tire though. Been rotating them to try and stay ahead of it getting real bad (Uniroyal Tiger Paws).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Cavell
Cavell has a spectacular aura aboutCavell has a spectacular aura aboutCavell has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L

25k miles in 6 mo? Oh, yeah, u put a ton on ur sl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
jeff kirschke
jeff kirschke is on a distinguished road

got an 04 5 spd replace fuel pump 75.00 junkyard out of proven 40k milage vehicle not cause i had too but seemed sensible and simple ( all plastic and qui ck connects) and also timing chain and all sprocketsn idlers wich seemed fine. original clutch seemes to do a qt of oil bout every 600 miles also replaced the big anodized control arm bushings up front, seemed to help with the bump steer syndrome lol. awesome vehiclelove it get 25 mpg in town every tank, every time. final drive ratio Will keep you out of speeding tickits on the highway however. that is if you have mercy on her and feel what she feels. ha ha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff kirschke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff kirschke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeff kirschke is offline   Reply With Quote