SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
03vueswap
03vueswap is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Thumbs Up VUE 5 speed swap *info please*

I am in the process of locating my parts now.
Vti swap for 5 speed. I have a 100k 03 vue 2.2 with all of the factory options except running boards.
I have read through a lot of helpful forms here but before I find my donor vehicle or parts; I have a few questions.
1. Does my donor need to be a certain year with matching options?
2. What are the differences in the two 5 speed manual transmissions available, or will either one work the same?
3. What is the best way to keep my 100k millage on the dash?
4. Or I would like a revision from someone on the whole process?
I don't want to get everything installed and find out I should have used parts, wiring, or anything from a diffrrent year make or model.
I just want to find the right donor, that has all of the right parts.
I will post step by step pictures when doing this process. Hopefully then these questions can all be answered for the next guy fixing this time bomb.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03vueswap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03vueswap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03vueswap is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: VUE 5 speed swap *info please*

Okay well im having the parts and tranny pulled off of here to hopefula 2004 vue tomorrow. I hope that I dont need any paticular parts from any other years; because this is coming from one vehicle at a yard with a bundle price of 700... I understand that there are two different 5 speed available with these years and I don't know the differences nor do I know what of which the type is of the one I am getting my parts from.
So either way if anyone gets a glimpse of this thread please send me any useful information you have for this project.
Also I will be taking/posting pictures of this swap to create answers for any future swappers.
T
H
A
N
K
S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 03vueswap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03vueswap View Post
Okay well im having the parts and tranny pulled off of here to hopefula 2004 vue tomorrow. I hope that I dont need any paticular parts from any other years; because this is coming from one vehicle at a yard with a bundle price of 700... I understand that there are two different 5 speed available with these years and I don't know the differences nor do I know what of which the type is of the one I am getting my parts from.
So either way if anyone gets a glimpse of this thread please send me any useful information you have for this project.
Also I will be taking/posting pictures of this swap to create answers for any future swappers.
T
H
A
N
K
S
There was only one manual transmission used in the 2002-2007 Vue. It is a Getrag 5-speed.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

Thanks, I noticed two on car-parts.com just different vin numbers were optioned.. anyhow I guess im all ready to go, ill have my parts pulled by tonight/tomorrow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Don't forget you will need the computer from donated vehicle. Seems like I read lots of problems not changing harness and computer cause throttle sensor did not read correct due to speed sensor reading was used different on auto and standard. Wish you the best. I think odometer is stored in BCM so I don't think you will change mileage. If so then you have to purchase BCM from dealer and get the right mileage reprogrammed.

Last edited by tiger862; 01-29-2013 at 01:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

So project was delayed. I have the engine/tranny out and my parts should be in tomorrow.. Question is... do I need the BCM from the manual car, &?#2 Is do I also need the speed sensor to be changed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
So project was delayed. I have the engine/tranny out and my parts should be in tomorrow.. Question is... do I need the BCM from the manual car, &?#2 Is do I also need the speed sensor to be changed?
You will not need the BCM, but you will need to pair your BCM to the PCM before it will start if you are using the PCM from the donor vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

Okay so besides the hardware parts; the only electronics I need are these? 1.ECM, 2.ENGINE harness, 3.PCM. (with the vin number to match the electronics from the donar) correct?
Then my electronics guy can program these parts to my BCM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Okay so besides the hardware parts; the only electronics I need are these? 1.ECM, 2.ENGINE harness, 3.PCM. (with the vin number to match the electronics from the donar) correct?
Then my electronics guy can program these parts to my BCM?
PCM and ECM are one in the same part in this case. Your mileage and VIN are stored in the BCM. You need the PCM because the one you have can't simply be reflashed for use with a manual transmission.

Here are a couple links to some threads that I think you'll find helpful:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92403
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132958

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

Also after reding through all these other forums on this site. It looks as though they all brought the bcm over from the manual car. My electronics guy said he could program my current auto bcm to my new ecm from the manual car. Im just unsure of what electronically I will entirely need. The stealership told me the BCM computers are made to only be programmed one time.
I ordered everthing I could today. And besides hardware it included the ecm and the pcm or maybe those two things are the same. Aghhh I just dont flipping know what is what or who is right about what. New bcm needed? New ecm needed? Can they be reprogrammed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Also after reding through all these other forums on this site. It looks as though they all brought the bcm over from the manual car. My electronics guy said he could program my current auto bcm to my new ecm from the manual car. Im just unsure of what electronically I will entirely need. The stealership told me the BCM computers are made to only be programmed one time.
I ordered everthing I could today. And besides hardware it included the ecm and the pcm or maybe those two things are the same. Aghhh I just dont flipping know what is what or who is right about what. New bcm needed? New ecm needed? Can they be reprogrammed?
Clear any thoughts of needing a PCM - stands for powertrain control module and is used for 3.5 (Honda) Vue.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Clear any thoughts of needing a PCM - stands for powertrain control module and is used for 3.5 (Honda) Vue.
I think some clarification is in order.

PCM -Powertrain Control Module
ECM - Engine Control Module
ECU - Engine Control Unit
ECC - Engine Control Computer
These are all generic terms that refer to the exact same part: the computer that is responsible for engine (and sometimes transmission) management. This is the part that you need from your donor vehicle. To be politically correct, the Powertrain Control Module is the only one from this list that would correctly refer to a computer that controls both the engine and transmission since the word "powertrain" by definition includes both the engine and transmission.

BCM - Body Control Module
This part is the computer that controls accessories and features that are not related to the engine or transmission such as HVAC controls, theft-deterrent features, keyless entry, interior/exterior lighting, etc. You do not need this from your donor vehicle. You will reuse your BCM. The BCM stores unique vehicle information like the VIN, odometer mileage, and RPO (regular production option) configurations. It may need to be reprogrammed to reflect the change from auto to manual transmission (yes, the stealership can do this).

After installing the PCM from the donor vehicle, you will need to perform the Passlock Relearn procedure that is outlined in the attachment below.

programming-theft-deterrent-system-components.pdf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Do doubt about it ... there is confusion ... and I'm just a bystander.

If you have an automatic transmission with 3.0 or 2.2 - the transmission control modules (TCM) and engine control modules (ECM) are separate units.

If you go from auto trans (CVT) to manual trans the original functions routed through the TCM must be rerouted to ECM.

It makes most sense to use the ECM and ECM harness from the manual transmission donor.

The existing BCM should not hiccup unless the ignition cylinder is altered in some way.

Otherwise turning the key will send same Passlock voltage to the BCM which should forward fuel request to ECM enabling fuel flow.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

Possibly one of my last questions..
Nuetral safety switch. I didn't ge5 this wiring off of the donar. I have access to the donar for anything else I run into.
Just curious without having the shop manual. Where should I route this wire too? Between my ignition I assume but where? Do I need to change any dash wiring? The only wiring and electronics I have from is the ecm & the engine harness. Do I have to change anything besides the engine harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Possibly one of my last questions..
Nuetral safety switch. I didn't ge5 this wiring off of the donar. I have access to the donar for anything else I run into.
Just curious without having the shop manual. Where should I route this wire too? Between my ignition I assume but where? Do I need to change any dash wiring? The only wiring and electronics I have from is the ecm & the engine harness. Do I have to change anything besides the engine harness?
I've attached thumbnail for typical 2.2 starter interlock circuit for either MT or AT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.2 Start Interlock.jpg (154.7 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
03vueswap

2003 VUE 2.2L

Alrighty things went well. Car is 99% in tact now aiting for my computer programmer to come by on monday. Until then I need to figure out how the shifter cables mount up to the tranny, I have them clipoed to the steering in place, but I just cannot figure out what the galvinized ring fits around.
Also I didn't drill the whokes for my clutch plate. I removed the dash down to the heater assembly. Biggest headache of the whole project. I also founf that when doing this there are two bolts holding this plate that are inside the top of the cowell below the windshield wiper motor.
Besides that everything was as easy as pie. I did everything in my two car garage.
With 5" tall jacks, the car must be leveled front and rear, with 30" of clearance from the bottom of the front bumper to the ground.
And then singlr handedly lower them simultaneously until all the way down.
Re-installation was fun. I place the eng-trans directly below the motor mounts, on the legs of the cherry picker. Than I just adjusted my chains on the picker to raise everything to place.
Easy as pie, ONE MAN ARMY!
Thanks everyone that read and replied.
If you are attempting to swap your vti for a manual don't fret, this is very laid out step by step user friendly
No lift - just a couple of jacks, lumber and two rachtet stramps to go around the engine/trans down to the 2x4's under the engine mount and placed the jacks below the boards. One on the left and right.
Sorry typing moved around on the last 7 lines. Smart phone my ass. Anyways thanks everyone.
I am picking up my neutral safety wire today. Where do I interrupt my ignition exactly. I want this to be factory. Picture of this and the shifter cables would be greatly appreciared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
ryanB3
ryanB3 is on a distinguished road

I can get you some pics of the shift cables tomorrow. The Vue doesn't have a neutral safety switch (at least in my 2004). The only protection is a clutch switch inside the cab. I can get some photos of that as well.

Have you gotten your clutch hydraulics working yet? That's can be fun :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanB3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanB3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
tpiguy
tpiguy is on a distinguished road

You can just cut the starter wire (yellow) to the ignition switch and interupt it with the clutch switch. The clutch cables go under the manifold (there is a clip to retain to the rack) and to the trans, if you pull back the ring on the cable they will slide onto the bracket, they can be a bear.

You will have to do a relearn on the theft system, the BCM sends a unique password to the ECM, it will need to learn the new password from the BCM, the theft light may go out but the ECM will store a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tpiguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tpiguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote