SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
linxx
linxx is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 1996 saturn Keyless Entry RKE

If someone could help I would REALLY appreciate it.
My girlfriend has a 1996 Saturn SL1, her remote quite working and we got a new battery for it, the vehicle doesn't respond to the remote any longer, so I got another off ebay. I need to know how to program the vehicle for the new remote if someone could help, i would really appreciate it!!!!!

Thanxs alot,
-Linxxs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Search the board here - somebody posted them a couple of years ago. I have 'em somewhere, but it would take a while to find them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
satwag
satwag will become famous soon enough

If she has the owners manual, I believe there's a procedure for reprogramming the original remote after battery replacement, and welcome to the board.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satwag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satwag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
First try to clean the contacts on the back of the remote keyless entry transmitter, also called a "fob." Open the fob by prying off the back piece and remote the circuit board. Carefully rub each of the contacts with a pencil eraser. There will be four contacts even though only three of them are used. Be careful because the circuit board is thin and can crack. I clean these contacts on my 1996 Saturn fobs about once a month when it seems the battery is weak or dead and this does the trick each time.

Second check that the polarity of the battery is correct as indicated in the fob.

Third try a new CR2032 battery, but you've already done that.

Okay, here is how to get your 1996 Saturn to recognize the new fob(s):

For programming new fobs or synchronizing old ones, the top right terminal need to be jumped to the 4th one from the left end in the top row of the ALDL port. Multiple Saturns can be programmed to one fob, and up to 4 fobs can be used with 1 car. All fobs must be programmed in the same session, or they will not work. It can be set to sound the horn or to be silent when activated.[list=1][*]Jump the #4 and #8 terminals together, and listen for the locks and horn to cycle. This indicates that the system is ready to be programmed.[*]Hold both the Lock and Unlock buttons at the same time for at least 8 seconds, until the locks cycle again. Each fob can be set to chirp, or be silent, individually.

To hear the horn when locking, leave the ignition off.

To keep the horn silent, cycle the key to the run position.
[*]Repeat this procedure for each fob to be programmed.[*]After all reprogramming is complete, remove the jumper wire and test all fobs to ensure they work properly.[/list=1]

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
BobVVue02
BobVVue02 is on a distinguished road

Default Does this work on '01 S-series also

David,

Great instructions!. Do you think that would work on my '01 SC2? I would like to program it to use the '02 Vue FOB so I only have to carry around one FOB for the Saturns.

Thanks!

BobVVue02 (aka Bob 01SC2m)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobVVue02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobVVue02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Dazed Re: Does this work on '01 S-series also

Quote:
Originally posted by BobVVue02
David,

Great instructions!. Do you think that would work on my '01 SC2? I would like to program it to use the '02 Vue FOB so I only have to carry around one FOB for the Saturns.

Thanks!

Thanks! I owe this one to Chris H.

I tried this procedure on a 1997 SC2 with RKE and it did not work, so there is a chance that it won't work on your 2001 SC2 either. I'm sure that there is a similar trick to getting one fob to work both your 2001 SC2 and your 2002 VUE. Hopefully one of the Saturn Techs will see this thread and tell us how to do it.

One warning: if you do this and your Saturns are parked next to each other when you press the buttons on your fob, both Saturns will respond!

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
LoveMySL1s
LoveMySL1s is on a distinguished road

Idea

Something else you should clean inside the RKW fob, is the backside of the black rubber "buttons". I ran across this on my '96 SL1 when I cleaned the metal contacts and replaced the battery, but still had sporadic operation and limited range on the RKE.

It turns out my rubber buttons had some black "dust" on the backside that interfered with making contact on the metal strip. I suspect the previous owner may have used some type of contact cleaning chemical that is causing the rubber button to slowly disintegrate.

Just wipe the backside of the black rubber buttons with a white handkerchief or towel. If you see black on the white, the residue may be preventing a clean connection with the contact strip when the RKE button is pushed. No chemicals are necessary -- just wipe it off with a cloth each time you clean the metal contacts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoveMySL1s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySL1s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Does this work on '01 S-series also

Quote:
Originally posted by BobVVue02
David,

Thanks!

Hmm, I don't think that would work... and you also have to program the FOBs on 2000+ cars with a Tech-II.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #9
geeminator
geeminator is on a distinguished road

Where's the receiver at in the car?...I have a 97 SL2 and have issues w/mine after buying a new battery and carefully cleaning the FOB's "guts"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geeminator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geeminator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #10
HumpMan
HumpMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by geeminator
Where's the receiver at in the car?...I have a 97 SL2 and have issues w/mine after buying a new battery and carefully cleaning the FOB's "guts"
I could be wrong, but I think the SSS and RKE stuff is all together. When I had to have that module replaced on my '97 SC1, I think I was told that the SSS/RKE module is back in the "C" pillar near the back window (on right side?).

BTW, I did use the synchronizing procedure outlined above with some key fobs and my '97 SC1. Seemed to work just as described.

Alas, now that I have a '03 VUE I won't be able to sync my own key fobs. I guess it was inevitable. Being able to easily do this is likely considered a security flaw.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #11
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

The instructions for 97-99s are different. 96s didn't have the security system, and 97s+ did. Search the forums for correct programming instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #12
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2
Default Re: 1996 saturn Keyless Entry RKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m
First try to clean the contacts on the back of the remote keyless entry transmitter, also called a "fob." Open the fob by prying off the back piece and remote the circuit board. Carefully rub each of the contacts with a pencil eraser. There will be four contacts even though only three of them are used. Be careful because the circuit board is thin and can crack. I clean these contacts on my 1996 Saturn fobs about once a month when it seems the battery is weak or dead and this does the trick each time.

Second check that the polarity of the battery is correct as indicated in the fob.

Third try a new CR2032 battery, but you've already done that.

Okay, here is how to get your 1996 Saturn to recognize the new fob(s):

For programming new fobs or synchronizing old ones, the top right terminal need to be jumped to the 4th one from the left end in the top row of the ALDL port. Multiple Saturns can be programmed to one fob, and up to 4 fobs can be used with 1 car. All fobs must be programmed in the same session, or they will not work. It can be set to sound the horn or to be silent when activated.
  1. Jump the #4 and #8 terminals together, and listen for the locks and horn to cycle. This indicates that the system is ready to be programmed.
  2. Hold both the Lock and Unlock buttons at the same time for at least 8 seconds, until the locks cycle again. Each fob can be set to chirp, or be silent, individually.

To hear the horn when locking, leave the ignition off.

To keep the horn silent, cycle the key to the run position.
  3. Repeat this procedure for each fob to be programmed.
  4. After all reprogramming is complete, remove the jumper wire and test all fobs to ensure they work properly.
Ok, I realize that this is an OLD thread, but I maybe getting a new RKE for my car, and when you say jump the 4 and 8 together, you mean take like a peperclip, and bend it, one end in the 4 and one end in the 8??

I understood it to be one in each. but i know im probably wrong.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #13
David 93 SL2m
Master Member

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Post Re: 1996 saturn Keyless Entry RKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylLeeOHS30
Ok, I realize that this is an OLD thread, but I maybe getting a new RKE for my car, and when you say jump the 4 and 8 together, you mean take like a peperclip, and bend it, one end in the 4 and one end in the 8??
Yes. I don't have my 1996 SC2 anymore so I cannot verify this procedure anymore. But others might...!

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2
Default Re: 1996 saturn Keyless Entry RKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m
Yes. I don't have my 1996 SC2 anymore so I cannot verify this procedure anymore. But others might...!
Ok so the way I understand it is that you take a paperclip, bend it and then put one end in the #4 terminal, and one end in the #8. I think that its said that one of these is 'hot' the one is a 'ground'? Do you know which one I should insert the paperclip into first?

Also, I'm buying a RKE for a 97 SL2, and im gonna try and use it on my 98 SL2. Does anyone know for sure if it will work?

Thanks Alot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread