SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
dustinbashaw
dustinbashaw is on a distinguished road

Default Head rebuild and timing questions

My 2000 saturn ls is having issues. I parked it with it running just fine one night, and went to start it the next day and it would turn over but not start. I checked the fuel pump and a few other things. I then checked the compression which was basically below 50psi in all cylinders. I have 2 questions:
1. How much will it cost to have the head redone and new parts for all of the timing if i do all the labor and work myself?
2. what would have caused this issue? Because it looks as if the chains are all still intact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dustinbashaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dustinbashaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dustinbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Head rebuild and timing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinbashaw View Post
My 2000 saturn ls is having issues. I parked it with it running just fine one night, and went to start it the next day and it would turn over but not start. I checked the fuel pump and a few other things. I then checked the compression which was basically below 50psi in all cylinders. I have 2 questions:
1. How much will it cost to have the head redone and new parts for all of the timing if i do all the labor and work myself?
2. what would have caused this issue? Because it looks as if the chains are all still intact.
Welcome to the Forum and I'm sorry to learn of your difficulty. Did you hear any excessive noise from the chains at start up attempts on the next day, or any other unusual sounds? A couple of ancillary questions: what's the current mileage? What's the maintenance history regarding the engine?

Adequately answering questions of cost depends, as you know, on the exact cause of the problem. If you want to gauge some parts costs take a look at http://www.rockauto.com for engine parts.

Causes could stem from a timing chain jumping teeth and thus the engine out of time, or if in the block, a main bearing failure. Either way these are only guesses from hundreds, or thousands of miles away. There's not yet enough information for an accurate diagnosis. Please view and read through the following thread regarding a recent timing chain issue.

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=187747

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
dustinbashaw
dustinbashaw is on a distinguished road

I did not hear any unsual noises, or anything that would make me believe something is wrong in the engine. the current mileage is 150,000 and what do you mean by engine maintenance history? as far as i know the oil and everything has been changed regularly, and i don't believe the timing has ever been changed or checked before.
I am just debating on what is the most cost effective way of fixing and where i should start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dustinbashaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dustinbashaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dustinbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Regarding maintenance history, it is just that, a history of the vehicle's regular maintenance. If you've been the original owner then it would be expected that you'd be certain of it's maintenance record. There is no servicing of the timing chain recommended. Neither you, nor anyone else, would have performed any servicing there prior to an event such as this.

Okay: there were no unusual noises, we assume the oil level is sufficient, and we accept that the maintenance has been kept up with regularly. If you've not already done so, then the next thing to determine is whether or not the timing chain has jumped any teeth on the gears. Refer to the previous thread above and it's link for cam sprocket locations with no. 1 piston at TDC.

From the Haynes Manual, there is a pointer on the timing cover and a notch on the crank pulley which must be aligned to set no. 1 piston at TDC. Once this is done you'll be able to determine if the engine is or isn't timed correctly.....hope this is helpful.

I empathize completely with the cost issue. I face that myself with my own vehicles, and if it were my car, I would be pursuing this just as you are.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote