SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default 2001 saturn sc2 front bumper support

on a 2001 saturn sc2 has anyone replaced this part:

Bumper/Fascia. .
This fits your 2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 COUPE.
Stock Code 21112623
Fitment Notes

Your Price $ 67.47
Installation Instructions N/A
Additional Notes
Alternate Stock Code
Categories Body > Bumpers
Assemblies Z27 BUMPER/FRONT-ABSORBER, BAR & COMPONENTS;
Manufacturer GM

here's a pic of it on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...e372c0&vxp=mtr

if so what's involved? mine is cracked something wacked it i guess. does the front bumper cover have to come off? it almost looks like it can be replaced by pulling it back after disconnecting the 2 push pins underneath on each side, nuts on each side & the center nut holding it in place...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 2001 saturn sc2 front bumper support

Done it?.. no but, from the manual it doesn't look like too much..

That says to remove the bumper cover and then the fascia support. It appears that the support is held to the impact bar by three nuts?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Done it?.. no but, from the manual it doesn't look like too much..

That says to remove the bumper cover and then the fascia support. It appears that the support is held to the impact bar by three nuts?
well i don't want to have to remove the cover. it almost looks like i can slide it out from the back...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
well i don't want to have to remove the cover.
I had my kids (ages 11 and 15 at the time) remove the bumper cover on my SC2 as a demonstration to them that cars can be easy to work on

on my '97, there are three 7mm (IIRC) nuts holding the fender liner to the back of the bumper cover on each side, then three push pins in the middle under the hood latch area and some underneath. Twist the light bulb sockets out, push the cover forward off teh support pins. Maybe 15 minutes?

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ontfascia.html

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I had my kids (ages 11 and 15 at the time) remove the bumper cover on my SC2 as a demonstration to them that cars can be easy to work on

on my '97, there are three 7mm (IIRC) nuts holding the fender liner to the back of the bumper cover on each side, then three push pins in the middle under the hood latch area and some underneath. Twist the light bulb sockets out, push the cover forward off teh support pins. Maybe 15 minutes?

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ontfascia.html
well the thing is if i take the cover off & it gets twisted the paint will crack. i don't want to get into that. the piece is only cracked on the bottom on one side, really just a cosmetic defect. maybe i will just jb weld it & it will be ok...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

By all means! If you can rig it in place, do it!
Think how glad you'll be you saved the money the next time you nail something at expressway speeds (1/4 sheet of drywall took out my first facia support).

You could always make an aluminum splice from roof flashing with rivets & backer-washers....all smeared both sides with JB Weld and painted black.

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 8 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
well the thing is if i take the cover off & it gets twisted the paint will crack.
Hmmm, I guess I didn't really pay attention to my bumper cover paint, as it is kind of cracked from the previous owner, anyway

You can always put some boxes and stuff underneath the cover to keep it from twisting or flexing when you slide it off.

What I did is slide the whole bumper off at the same time, after getting all the fasteners off, rather than getting one side entirely off and lowering it, then moving to the other side. I didn't think it flexed enough to cause the paint to crack (I remember it being pretty strong), but it's been a while.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

I'm a clutz when it comes to maintaining my car but I found it very easy to remove and reinstall without any torquing.

The worst bit was re-attaching to the lining of the wheel arch. Needed to get new plastic bits but instead used self taping screws.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
By all means! If you can rig it in place, do it!
Think how glad you'll be you saved the money the next time you nail something at expressway speeds (1/4 sheet of drywall took out my first facia support).

You could always make an aluminum splice from roof flashing with rivets & backer-washers....all smeared both sides with JB Weld and painted black.
you don't understand. it's only cracked on the driver's side edge. not on any structural area. when ya lay under the car you can see it stick out on both sides & it runs the length of the bumper cover. soemthing on the road jumped up & struck the edge of it & it had a 2" crack in it. i have no idea how that happened without any bumper cover damage. wierd....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!