SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
marines079
marines079 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Saturn SL2 High RPM's when switching gears

I have a Saturn SL2 2001 and when I start the car the RPM's shoot to about 2000 then slowly falls to about 900 (standard idle). Then at times when I come to a stop the idle sits at around 1300 and I have to break or the car will creep up. Lastly, sometimes the car will spike to 3000 when I shift gears to park from drive.

First I took apart the throttle body to clean it and the IAC valve - no fix

Then I sprayed throttle body cleaner all around the manifold/throttle body/engine to see if there were any leaks and to see if the idle would change - no signs of anything (I also had a guy from advanced auto who knew more than me and he said he doesnt think it's a leak and he also doesn't think its the IAC valve because it holds an idle with no issue)

So I took it to a transmission shop thinking it was a tranny problem but they hooked it up and found no issues with my transmission. They said It had an EGR fault code on it.

Then they told me the EGR valve would cost me 300 and about 100 for labor. So I called advanced auto and ordered the exact part for 100 and I researched it takes 2 bolts to remove. Before I bought the part I took off my EGR valve to clean it and it wasn't HORRIBLE.

Should I just buy the EGR valve? I really don't want to waste 100 bucs on something I can just clean. The car is 11 years old but only has 115k miles on it.

This is NOT me or my car but my car does something similar: add this link to youtube dot com --> /watch?v=rToC4-we3K8

What else can I clean - What else should I trouble shoot before buying a new EGR valve?

THank you so much in advance for reading my car's life story. If you give me the right answer I'm sending you 5 bucs on paypal lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marines079's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marines079 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marines079 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2
Default Re: Saturn SL2 High RPM's when switching gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by marines079 View Post
I have a Saturn SL2 2001 and when I start the car the RPM's shoot to about 2000 then slowly falls to about 900 (standard idle). Then at times when I come to a stop the idle sits at around 1300 and I have to break or the car will creep up. Lastly, sometimes the car will spike to 3000 when I shift gears to park from drive.

First I took apart the throttle body to clean it and the IAC valve - no fix

Then I sprayed throttle body cleaner all around the manifold/throttle body/engine to see if there were any leaks and to see if the idle would change - no signs of anything (I also had a guy from advanced auto who knew more than me and he said he doesnt think it's a leak and he also doesn't think its the IAC valve because it holds an idle with no issue)

So I took it to a transmission shop thinking it was a tranny problem but they hooked it up and found no issues with my transmission. They said It had an EGR fault code on it.

Then they told me the EGR valve would cost me 300 and about 100 for labor. So I called advanced auto and ordered the exact part for 100 and I researched it takes 2 bolts to remove. Before I bought the part I took off my EGR valve to clean it and it wasn't HORRIBLE.

Should I just buy the EGR valve? I really don't want to waste 100 bucs on something I can just clean. The car is 11 years old but only has 115k miles on it.

This is NOT me or my car but my car does something similar: add this link to youtube dot com --> /watch?v=rToC4-we3K8

What else can I clean - What else should I trouble shoot before buying a new EGR valve?

THank you so much in advance for reading my car's life story. If you give me the right answer I'm sending you 5 bucs on paypal lol
Happened to the SL, but the RPM's wouldn't go down. What I did was this. First, look on the backside of the throttle body for two sensors that are hooked up, and unplug them. It should run kinda crappy, but your idle should be low. If this happens, it's one of those two sensors up there IAC and something else, and you get to play the game of figuring out which one.

For me, it was both. I know I replaced the IAC, and the EGR just gave up completely on life (kept jamming, even when I soaked it overnight) but I forgot the third one I replaced.

(I hope this makes sense, I'm really tired right now)

93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yerboogieman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yerboogieman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

welcome to the forums!

Did you clean your EGR following the richpin video? Checked the pintle operation?

Next, you want to find the actual code number and post it here (and/or search that number here) - it will begin with the letter "P" followed by 3 numbers (e.g., P0405)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181514

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
marines079

2001 SL2

I have 6 codes for my saturn sl2 2001
They are: P0404 P0405 P0403
C0037 (left front wheel speed sensor circuit low... I just had the bearing replaced in the front left wheel?)

The problem is that I have higher than normal rev when I start the car and at some point in my commute I notice it revving when shifting. When coming to a stop light, if I coast it in neutral for several seconds it still will not reduce the idle speed until sitting stationary for 3-6 seconds.

I have checked for leaks, cleaned TB,IAC, EGR, and had transmission tested. Should I check the ECTS Sensor? Thiking that if the temp is off it will rev at wrong times to heat up the engine.What should I check before I replace the EGR valve as I do not know how to test it?

I cleaned it and pushed in that little valve (It didnt move much but it did like 4cm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marines079 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

An EGR valve range/performance code (P0404) indicates that the EGR valve position sensor is shot (or that there is a wiring flaw). The sensor works like the TPS, and its operation can be confirmed with an ohmmeter. Measure resistance between the center terminal and each terminal next to it, one at a time, while moving the pintle smoothly in and out. This is best observed with a mechanical meter. If the resistance doesn't change smoothly in one direction for one direction of pintle movement, then the sensor is shot. Resistance should change in one direction only, smoothly. It should not jump around or move forward, backward, and then forward again.

The only cure for a bad EGR valve sensor is to replace the entire valve. O'Reilly, among others, sells a valve with a lifetime warranty. Save your receipt. Replace it for free the next time it fails.

The TPS is also a very common cause of high idle. It is tested like the EGR valve position sensor. Commonly, when the idle stays high, it can be reset by flicking the ignition switch off and back on quickly. TPS replacement is the only cure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
marines079

2001 SL2

Well guys.. thanks for the help! I replaced the TPS but that wasn't it so I finally dug into my pockets and bought a new EGR valve. BAM fixed the idling issues!

Thank you for this forum. Saved me over 300 dollars and I learned a ton.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!