SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
RK05Vue3.5
RK05Vue3.5 is on a distinguished road

Default Daytime running lights wiring diagram?

On my 05 Vue (V6 auto 2WD), the DRL's have stopped working.
First, I'll point out that at dusk/dark, the lights come on and work normally with the switch in auto.
In the daytime after starting, the lights should come on after putting in gear (or is it when releasing parking brake?), and dashboard light should indicate they are on.
Now, the indicator light comes on briefly, then blinks a few times and goes out. The lights themselves do not come on or flash.
Manual says the DRLs use the highbeams at reduced brightness. Highbeams work fine under normal conditions. I have swapped out the DRL relay underhood with no change.
Finally, the question. Is there a power resistor somewhere, similar to that used by cooling fans, to provide the reduction in brightness? If so it would be worth checking as everything else has checked out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RK05Vue3.5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RK05Vue3.5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RK05Vue3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
dleclerc
dleclerc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Daytime running lights wiring diagram?

I had the same thing happend to me last year and there is a resistor to dim the headlight for daytime running light. the resistor is at the LF corner (front driver side) of the vehicle, behind the headlamp assembly attached to the frame rail.

Denis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dleclerc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dleclerc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclerc View Post
I had the same thing happend to me last year and there is a resistor to dim the headlight for daytime running light. the resistor is at the LF corner (front driver side) of the vehicle, behind the headlamp assembly attached to the frame rail.
Looks like this . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...0&d=1297051002

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
RK05Vue3.5

Thanks for the info. But I can't find anything that looks like the pic. Hard to tell size or location. Not a lot of open real estate behind the headlight; just battery and WW fluid.
Do I have to remove the headlight?
I recently replaced the battery, so wondering if it could have been bumped during that; but I just don't see the resistor anywhere obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0923-1.jpg (99.1 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RK05Vue3.5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05Vue3.5 View Post
Thanks for the info. But I can't find anything that looks like the pic. Hard to tell size or location. Not a lot of open real estate behind the headlight; just battery and WW fluid.
Do I have to remove the headlight?
I recently replaced the battery, so wondering if it could have been bumped during that; but I just don't see the resistor anywhere obvious.
You'll have a better chance to locate by looking from underneath (left side frame rail/bumper support - see second thumbnail).

You could test resistor if you have ohmmeter. See first thumbnail of how I checked mine.

Remove DRL relay and insert one meter lead in the socket (see photo - the socket mates with pin 30 of removed relay).

Connect other lead to battery negative post. Circuit resistance should be less than 2 ohms (see 1.7 ohm indication on my meter).

I've also attached a DRL schematic (third thumbnail).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRL Resistor Test.jpg (136.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DRL Resistor Location.jpg (147.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DRL Schematic.jpg (133.4 KB, 26 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
RK05Vue3.5

Default Re: Daytime running lights wiring diagram - (where to buy resistor)

Thanks for the great info. Just revisiting this finally. I balk a little at the $55 price I've seen for the resistor (saturnparts.com). Any avenues to a better price?
TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!