SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
85HP
85HP is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1998 SW2
Default Introduction from CT SW enthusiast

Hello All:

I've been lurking for awhile... finally getting around to posting.

Four years ago I bought a '93 SW1 with a 5 speed and 4 wheel disks for $150. I've got another grand into it, doing 100% of the work myself, and it is coming along nicely. The plan is to build a turbo twin-cam motor for it and install that around the time the car is no longer eligible for emissions testing. It will be a sleeper. That's in a few years, so I can pursue this project at my leisure.

Last month I splashed out $1500 on a '98 SW2, also with a stick.

My experience with these cars has been fantastic. Good handling, fun to drive, the problems are all well known and easily fixed (thanks to Saturnfans).

I'm also really impressed with the quality of the posts and the culture of the community here. There are a lot of folks here who are not afraid to do anything to their cars... this is inspiring. I also think the lack of bolt-on aftermarket parts helps this community in a way: I've always been more impressed by someone with fabrication skills than someone who just orders shiny parts from a catalogue.

I don't know if the S series will ever be collector's items, but I consider myself a collector! I'm hoping to find a couple of good first gen examples to add to the collection once I get a barn built for all of this stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 85HP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 85HP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
85HP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Introduction from CT SW enthusiast

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saturn S-series cars and of wagons. I've owned three Saturns, all wagons: 2 SW2s and an L-series LW300. I think the S-series is a great collector car from its era. Others on this forum are probably tired of me saying this.

I've gotten a lot of great tips (and even some parts) from people on this forum.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 182,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
85HP
85HP is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1998 SW2

Thanks.

I agree that the S series is destined to be a collector's car, not so much in the sense of monetary value, but in the sense of having a big enthusiast community. In fact, I think it already is.

A number of people have asked me about the '93 and they usually have a story to relate about how a Saturn was their first car and how they enjoyed it. This is a lot like the air cooled VW scene 25 years ago. Other owners usually have strong opinions about why they continue to own these cars with mega-miles. It is not just basic transportation for a lot of us.

The problem nowadays seems to be finding a first gen that hasn't been totally neglected or riced. I'm on the lookout for more.

I am really amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 85HP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 85HP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
85HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
dietz4ibanez
dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Welcome to the site! I am new here too!

2006 Saturn Vue 2wd V6 3.5L

2011 3500hd Duramax SC Dump
2010 Chevy Equinox V6 3.0L LT2
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dietz4ibanez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dietz4ibanez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote