SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default unused fuse problem?

I was looking for unused fuse locations in the panel in the interior today and noticed I only seem to have one. That one is for the sunroof (which I don't have). I saw two or three other spots that looked like they could have fuses but when I put my test light on them they didn't seem to have power with the key on OR off. (Test light works and was properly grounded). Are they actually spots for fuses or is it something I'm missing? I know one was to the left of the sunroof fuse and the other one/two were above and to the right of the lighter/outlet fuse. Shouldn't those get power?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Re: unused fuse problem?

Also, why would I have a fuse in the sunroof spot if I don't even have a sunroof? Does it run something I didn't see in the owners manual?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you have power windows then the sun roof is powered from the window relay which is only closed - energized when the key is on so if equipped with either option you got the sunroof fuse. That circuit also feeds the rear wiper and washer in a SW. In your case it is a spare fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Ah. Any ideas why the other empty fuse spots wouldn't have power?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Gostlrs
Gostlrs is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Because the relays or main fuses for them won't be installed in the engine bay. This is true on all the other cars I have owned....Saturn could be different, but normally all the wiring is there for most things & you can install the relays/fuses to get them to work. Since these were kinda made to order back in the day...they might not of installed all the extra things to go with it.

Current Rides
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
1994 Nissan Hardbody
1994 Mercury Capri XR2 (#350 of 366 Made)
1993 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gostlrs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gostlrs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gostlrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Ah. Any ideas why the other empty fuse spots wouldn't have power?
Because there are no fuse connectors on the pins and/or there is no power circuitry attached to the back pins. There are different wiring harnesses for the major options in these cars, not all cars are wired identically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

When you say no fuse connectors on the pins or no fuses/relays under the hood, would I be able to plug fuses in the empty spots under the hood and in the interior and test again to see if its getting power? When I tried them without the fuse I wasn't sure my test light was able to get far enough in to make a good connection to be sure wether there was no power or it was a connection issue.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The wiring is probably not there and jamming a test probe into those empty holes can buy you problems that result in spending money.

It is not a matter of plugging in a relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That panel is powered from a single continuous power source which is already over loaded and switched power from the ignition switch. There is no unlimited source of toy power inside the car.

So exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Mainly just curious. Whats on there that makes it overloaded already?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Everything that is always on except the exterior lights. The various loads are listed in the owners manual. If you do not have one they have many at the pick and pull, just pick up a clean one for your year car.

The major cause of problems is the things that get plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Would using the 15 amp sunroof fuse location with an fuse tap to power a few LED light strips cause the F-5 issue or would the fuse blow instead if somehow the lights took that much power? The lights would be switch powered and only on if I dropped something.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do you have power windows? If not you will have to install the window relay in the I/P panel and then the Sunroof fuse has power when the key is in run. This is fed from IGN-3. Te hot end of the sunroof fuse is A2 on the 68 pin gray plug on the back of the panel, this is where to pick it up instead of fuse taps. You need to check for wires on A2 as you may have what you need already half installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Yep. Got the power windows. Will check for wires behind there. How do you recommend doing that? Just peekin through the other side? Just out of curiosity what would make that location work better than fuse taps? Sorry if these posts seem repetitive

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Fuse taps are ghetto.

Grey plug a is against a long edge and 2 is 2 rows up. might be 2 wires, orange and c-1 is electrically the same spot, single orange wire. The wire at c-1 goes up to the steering column plug. First find out if the wires exist and then where they go can be looked up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

and as long as I have a fuse, LED lights would blow the fuse before it'd cause the f-5 issue (if LED's would even take enough to cause that)? This is what I'm most concerned about.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That circuit is switched through the ignition switch through IGN-3 and not the continuous switched f-5 circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

I was doing some thinking and while ideally I'd run a wire from the battery with fuses and whatnot to accomplish this, hypothetically, would the 15 amp sunroof fuse/circuit be able to power LED lights, a CB radio and another power outlet if they're wired through that to receive power with each device having its own fuse?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No. Wire a separate stand alone sub panel fed from the battery. Th eLED lights are not a problem, it is the other stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #20
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Thats what I figured. Is there any easier/alternative way to get the wire into the car besides going through the wire bundle in the firewall?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!