SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
djns420
djns420 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Dizzy Odd question about 99 SL running at 1/4 temp gauge

Hi, I had a question I wanted to get input on. My '99 SL has 165k miles on it and has barely had anything replaced. Last year I replaced the ECTS with a brass tip one because my transmission wouldn't shift into OD or have weird TC lockup when I turned on the heater fan. After replacing the ECTS the car warms up in like 2 minutes or less than a mile of driving, but stops at 1/4 which leads me to believe my thermostat is stuck open. I've put like 80k miles on this car and I've never seen the temp gauge go past 1/4 unless I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day (then the fan kicks on at 1/2).

So getting to the odd question, if I were to replace the thermostat, am I gonna blow up the water pump, head gasket, etc. since the engine hasn't seen prolonged temps above 1/4 in like 8 years/80k? The car still gets 30-40mpg+, and the heater blows pretty warm air so I'd be reasonably content with forgoing the 'stat change if it's going to cause a cascade of problems in this car that's currently defying the need for replacement parts.

Any opinions, experiences or preferably facts are welcome. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djns420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djns420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djns420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Odd question about 99 SL running at 1/4 temp gauge

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djns420 View Post
if I were to replace the thermostat, am I gonna blow up the water pump, head gasket, etc. since the engine hasn't seen prolonged temps above 1/4 in like 8 years/80k?
No, just change it. If you did the minimal loss ECTS procedure your coolant needs to be replaced anyhow. That and, take the opportunity to inspect and/or replace the radiator hoses as well.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Before you change your tstat, on a fully warmed engine, either put a thermometer in the reservoir return stream or put a code reader to see what temp is being reported

Many people have reported temp gauges that just read low, even though the actual coolant temp is within the right range.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
dentresistant1
dentresistant1 is on a distinguished road

On my 1996 SL2, I have discovered that were are 2 types of thermostats installed at the factory: A high-flow version for engines with California Emissions (w/ front and rear cat exhaust system) where the engine runs a bit hotter, and a regular flow t-stat for the non- California emissions models.

If you run a regular-flow t-stat on a Cal emissions engine, the gauge be about half way on the temp display at operating temperature (engine runs too hot). If you run a Cal. emissions t-stat on a non-Cal engine, the temp display will rarely go above 1/4, and you won't get much heat in the winter time. The only difference between the two thermostats is how far the spring/plunger opens at operating temperature, thus affecting the volume of coolant flowing through the engine. Both versions of t-stats start open at the same temperature.

The only problem is both OEM and aftermarket t-stats are one size fits all and don't make this distinction. In my experience, most replacement t-stats are the regular-flow versions, not the high-flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dentresistant1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dentresistant1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dentresistant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The 96 model was unique in that it was initially released with a handful of modifications from the 95 model year for mandated emissions changes. One that is rather obvious is the 0.060 plug gap spec on the initial emissions certification labels. The PCM code went through multiple revisions as well.

As to multiple thermostats there is no existent Saturn data book that lists more than one single thermostat operating specification nor is there any evidence of multiple thermostats in the parts book.

What a local dealer may or may not have done and have explained away by the usual smoke and mirrors does not count as OEM.

Any information supporting 2 different OEM thermostats would be interesting to actually see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djns420 View Post
Hi, I had a question I wanted to get input on. My '99 SL has 165k miles on it and has barely had anything replaced. Last year I replaced the ECTS with a brass tip one because my transmission wouldn't shift into OD or have weird TC lockup when I turned on the heater fan. After replacing the ECTS the car warms up in like 2 minutes or less than a mile of driving, but stops at 1/4 which leads me to believe my thermostat is stuck open. I've put like 80k miles on this car and I've never seen the temp gauge go past 1/4 unless I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day (then the fan kicks on at 1/2).

So getting to the odd question, if I were to replace the thermostat, am I gonna blow up the water pump, head gasket, etc. since the engine hasn't seen prolonged temps above 1/4 in like 8 years/80k? The car still gets 30-40mpg+, and the heater blows pretty warm air so I'd be reasonably content with forgoing the 'stat change if it's going to cause a cascade of problems in this car that's currently defying the need for replacement parts.

Any opinions, experiences or preferably facts are welcome. Thanks
Our car ran cooler from the factory than some claim is normal, and had the lower rated thermostat as the original. I personally don't think I gained anything other than more available heat by replacing it when the factory unit failed. MPG actually decreased slightly with the higher temp unit.

If you are too cool or have any idle/MPG/driveability issues than it's something to be concerned with. If not I wouldn't rush out to make it run warmer myself.

But, warmer temps don't mean everything is going to fail soon either. Our OEM radiator did fail after the warmer thermostat, but they all fail sooner or later and ours was on the outer edge of normal life expectancy. Our car has had no head gasket or water pump problems at all in 140K miles, with approx 40K of that with the warmer running thermostat.

In most cases if the thermostat or seal have failed, your warm up time will be increased. If you are really concerned you can check the operating temp with a scanner or using a thermometer in the reservoir. These gauges are not very precise and between that and the various different types of thermostat units that may have shipped in cars, it' not an exact.

If it's the original thermostat, that's a lot of life for any unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote