SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
captaintrips
captaintrips is on a distinguished road

Default OBD2 diagnostic codes....?

I got a stripped down 99 saturn sl2 sold to me with no catalytic converter and a bunch of other parts missing/broken.. Anyway I have gotten just about everything fixed, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get this check engine light to turn off!
here is what i get from my scanner...

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
================================================= Vehicle VIN:
Not present Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown Vehicle Calibration
ID: Not present Current Fault Log ------------------ ECU
reports no current faults Pending Fault Log ------------------
ECU reports no pending faults Historic Fault Log
------------------ ECU reports no historic faults Other
discovered fault codes (possibly pending, current or
manufacturer specific)
---------------------------------------------------- P1651:
[Chrysler] Fan 1 Relay Control Circuit [Ford] Power Steering
Pressure Switch Input fault [Mazda] Power Steering Pressure
Switch Circuit [Dodge] Fan 1 Relay Control Circuit [Jeep] Fan 1
Relay Control Circuit [Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Data Bus
Powertrain missing messages [Volvo] Control module, internal
fault. Faulty signal. P1650: [Chrysler] Control Module Output B
Circuit [Ford] Power Steering Pressure Switch out of Self-Test
Range [Mazda] Power Steering Pressure Switch Out of Range Fault
[Dodge] Control Module Output B Circuit [Jeep] Control Module
Output B Circuit [Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Data Bus Powertrain
Missing message fr.instrument panel ECU [Volvo] Camshaft reset
valve. Signal too high. C1000: Unknown code - More information
may be available on the web B2TAE: Unknown code - More
information may be available on the web End of report.

I have checked all dash lights, all seem to be working fine. (including both check engine lights) replaced cooling fan relay, unplugged wire harness going to a/c compressor, checked all fuses and such. any other ideas?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captaintrips's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captaintrips reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captaintrips is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: OBD2 diagnostic codes....?

Your variable power steering is not plugged in. Back of the power steering pump at the pressure line area. The connector used to be/should be red, 13 years out of the factory dirt covered red.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
captaintrips

I'm a bit new to fixing cars. where about would that be? i took a picture to give u an idea of where im looking (hopefully around the right area.. lol)

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/c4pta1ntr1ps/IMAG0053.jpg (im looking around the power steering reservoir. is it underneath it or should it be in plain view?)

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help captaintrips reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I can't see the pic because photobucket is blocked where I am, but if you go through the richpin06a videos you should see one for the PS pump.

edit - from what you describe you are in the right general vicinity
the PS pump is below the reservoir

Searched, couldn't find a good picture

I thhink the hose that ssicarman refers to is #8 or 9 in this illustration.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...modelYear=1999

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 12-07-2012 at 11:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

How about a nice richpin06a video of where the connector is skillfully hidden?

These are all located by entering richpin06a saturn into the YouTube search box. You modify the search by adding what you are looking for, in this case EVO will do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVNkBejm_Go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If that's how Torque outputs it's data, how does anyone figure out WTF is going on and decide it's worth whatever it costs? On top of the crap output it seems to be saying the codes are for nearly every make EXCEPT GM/Saturn

My Actron 9180 has pending and active codes in different sections and clearly gives the code number as well as the generic description.

The PS Pump is below the reservoir, attached to the shaft that the pulley is on. The connector you seem to need is under the pump and rather hard to see and get to even when you know exactly where it is. I don't see why it not being connected would cause a code to set anyway, never bothered anyone on Sixthsphere from what I've seen.

Heck, 6s seems to have a better answer in post #5 here (to the only code I can decipher from the log, P1650): http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...ice-light-turn (PCM not seeing the transmission, when it's an autotragic)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
captaintrips

So I pretty much got a pcm for an auto trans and its a 5 speed.....great. how do i fix this? How do I tell which pcm I have in the first place? lol

Last edited by captaintrips; 12-07-2012 at 01:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
captaintrips

I also found this while searching for the 1650/1651 codes
saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171005
Seems it could be a burned out bulb?

edit: I may have found a burned out bulb or two. are the trunk light and the one to the side of it supposed to come on when i turn the key but dont start it?
if so I have found my problem I know the trunk light isnt working... would that cause those codes?

Last edited by captaintrips; 12-07-2012 at 02:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

trunk ajar may not set the code but the upshift light does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
captaintrips

The upshift light is working.. Any others that would cause the code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DTC P1651 Fan 1 Relay Control Circuit

From our How-to library..........................http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44822, page 5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
captaintrips

I have already replaced that relay... Next? Lol

Thanks again :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintrips View Post
So I pretty much got a pcm for an auto trans and its a 5 speed.....great. how do i fix this? How do I tell which pcm I have in the first place? lol
If you have an upshift light that is nagging you to upshift for fuel economy, you have a manual PCM.

The auto PCM does not send a signal to the upshift light (would be kinda pointless ) and would set a bunch of transmission codes.

Might be something else on that fan relay circuit? Don't have schematics handy, so no help here - sorry

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are there any mods done to this car that are overlooked? Some members are afraid of the temperature needle going way over into the red before hearing the cooling fan turn on and wired in a switch to manually turn on their fan. There are only two basic ways to wire a manual fan switch. Other mods like remote starting, aftermarket alarm, etc., may be causing this error code. Separating mods can be as simple as searching for loose wiring that stands out from factory wiring harnesses and bundles taped to ensure chafing doesn't rub insulation against sharp metal edges. Aftermarket wiring usually hangs out and never tied neatly with many tell tale splices, wire taps, and electrical tape that unravels in a year or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote