SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
rklein
rklein is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Headlight upgrades for SCs

I've seen a lot of posts about people putting HIDs in SLs, but nothing about headlight upgrades to SCs.

Have you done anything with your SC's headlights? Tell us about it! And post pictures! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rklein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rklein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rklein is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Headlight upgrades for SCs

Just swap out the stock bulb for this clear one that'll accept a H4 bulb: http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merc...HDLITB/UP31389

Then get a decent H4 bulb to put in it. Not any harder to do then changing the stock bulb.

If you mean the dim lighted '97-'02 SC's that have the same headlights as the SL & SW's then I don't see the point in your question...they're the same lights & housings....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
rklein

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If you mean the dim lighted '97-'02 SC's that have the same headlights as the SL & SW's then I don't see the point in your question...they're the same lights & housings....
What?

2002 SC2 headlight housing:

vs
2002 SL2 headlight housing:

I don't know if the bulbs are different, but the housings sure are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rklein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

They're put together the same way and use the same 9005/9006 bulbs every S-Series not a '91-'96 SC/SC2 use's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
rklein

2002 SC2

I see your point, but I think the lenses are sufficiently different (something like a fresnel lens (is it glass?) in the SL vs. a nearly planar plastic lens in the SC) that they aren't really comparable. I wouldn't be surprised if the reflectors are different, too.

Personally, I'm most interested in HID upgrades. I've seen posts where people used a kit to replace the halogen bulb with HID, but that seems to be frowned on because it puts the light source in the wrong place relative to the reflector. I also saw one post where someone epoxied the guts of a projector HID lamp from another car into the housing of an SL. I'm not sure that would fit in an SC housing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless you research carefully, not using a projector housing specifically designed for HID's with the integrated metal cut-off to eliminate the upper beam pattern from blinding opposing traffic, any installation of HID's in anything other than a projector housing with this cut-off plate is basically turning a low beam into a high beam light, period. Google HID's to learn why projector lamp housings are designed with the cut-off plate to focus and aim only half the light output onto the road without blinding anyone. The key is the combination focused lens with cut-off plate to make HID's work as low beams. Any HID used in any other light housing will simply become a high beam. HID's used as high beams don't have the cut-off plate..........................

The other major issue to consider with a HID retrofit is whether your Saturn uses daytime running lights. If your low beams are used as DRL's then HID's will not work as DRL's in some circuits are wired as a series circuit - low beams wired as DRL's will make HID's flicker, fail or only light up one lamp, not both. When manually switched to low beam or automatically as in DRL mode, the circuitry changes to parallel wiring so both low beams receive 12v. Series circuits wire both lamps in series to reduce the current - reducing current in a series circuit doesn't work with HID's since two ballasts require 12v to each unit. DRL wiring two ballasts in series reduces the voltage and current, negating HID use.

If your low beams aren't used as DRL's then you can modify your low beams to fit projector assemblies. This may be the only way to go to have the best of HID's while not blinding opposing traffic.

Lenses can be glass or plastic as long as they're designed to withstand the intense heat generated from HID's. To throw some confusion your way; my L300 uses low beams for DRL's and they're projectors with cut-off plates using plain 55w halogen lamps, no HID's. If I give up DRL's by removing the DRL relay, I can retrofit HID's into these projectors since they have the cut-off plate that eliminates blinding opposing traffic. The trade off is that I give up DRL's for HID's. In NYC I don't need HID's at night. I like DRL's so the choice to remain stock is to replace the old OEM lamps with Silverstars and polish the worn out lens covers. I would love to have HID's but do not want to give up DRL's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a perfect testimonial against incorrect HID retrofits; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...97#post1933597, post #8.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
MeMongo66
MeMongo66 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Best bet for an SC is to buy the best bulbs you can find. I have yet to find anything with higher wattage, but have had good luck with PIAA bulbs, They are a bit pricey, but I have gotten good life out of the ones I have used. The light output is noticeably better. Find good bulbs and make sure you keep the lenses polished up nicely. That alone can make a HUGE improvement.

2001 SC2 269K+

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Rear discs
Eibach springs
Kyb struts
K&N filter.
Sunroof Dr. Module

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MeMongo66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MeMongo66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MeMongo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

So, there are no options for the SC1 headlights.....I've seen on Honda's the entire headlight can be replaced.....nothing for the SC1?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
So, there are no options for the SC1 headlights.....I've seen on Honda's the entire headlight can be replaced.....nothing for the SC1?
Assuming you are talking about the '93 SC1 in your info, look into stuff for the '91-'95 SL/SL1/SL2, since you have the same headlights as the sedans. I'm not aware of any aftermarket options, though.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
gold00sl
gold00sl is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklein View Post
I also saw one post where someone epoxied the guts of a projector HID lamp from another car into the housing of an SL. I'm not sure that would fit in an SC housing.
Yes you can retrofit in a 3gen sc, I have retrofitted a sc before.

Here's a write up for a 2gen, but it's basically the same for 3gens

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...-a-2nd-gen-SC*

Also check this site out it has alot of info on retrofitting

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gold00sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gold00sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gold00sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
rklein

2002 SC2

Thanks! That's just the kind of thing I was looking for. Now to pick up a spare pair of headlight assemblies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!