SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Phuffstutter
Phuffstutter is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1994 SL2
Dizzy Engine cranks but no spark

I would like to thank everyone in advance for any answers or suggestions, as this is my first post on the website.

Now I just swapped my 1994 sl2 5spd trans into my 1992 sl1. After putting everything back together and hooking the wiring harness back up, I tried to start the engine and It would just crank. After checking fuses (all were in working order), I tested the pink/white wire on the 6 pin connector at icm, no voltage. I am stuck on what may have caused this. Being a student in the automotive field, I feel as though I am missing something very blatant. Any suggestions?

-Pat

Last edited by Phuffstutter; 11-29-2012 at 01:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phuffstutter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phuffstutter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phuffstutter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Phuffstutter

1992 SL1
1994 SL2
Dizzy Re: Engine cranks but no spark

Still no suggestions, Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ICM that may show me where each wire comes from? Would love any advice on this issue as i have been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out for the past week and a half.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phuffstutter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Engine cranks but no spark

You put a '94 MP3 in your '92 or you put a '94 DOHC and the MP3 in your '92?
If the latter (engine & trans) then it should run, but it'll never run correctly until you either hack in a '93-'94 PCM or swap the crankshaft. If you're not using a DOHC PCM with the DOHC engine, then that's yet another well documented issue.

I'm inclined to say the '92 harness isn't compatible with '93+, via: https://www.saturnwiki.com/wiki/inde...#ECU.2FHarness without hacking it.

Usually no spark is due to a bad CPS, but an incompatible wiring harness would do it too, or maybe a blown fuse (not sure which one[s]).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
fm2200
fm2200 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Happy Re: Engine cranks but no spark

Did you take any ground wires off and forget to reconnect them. Check for spark at the coils. There are many things that can be overlooked when doing extensive work as you just did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fm2200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fm2200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fm2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
WageWor
WageWor is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm2200 View Post
Did you take any ground wires off and forget to reconnect them.
That. Dear lord, that. Once had my car on blocks for two weeks tearing apart everything from the ICM to the coils to the plugs, the CPS, all of it. It was the chassis ground, right behind the under-hood fuse panel. Always start with the stupid stuff, nine times out of ten it's free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WageWor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WageWor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WageWor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Phuffstutter

1992 SL1
1994 SL2

I only swapped out transmissions. they were both manuals and everything met right up, input shafts were the same, speed sensors, housings, clutches, etc. I had not found anything saying that this couldn't be done. i have checked all my grounds and everything. i had no power at pin A on the 6 pin connector, which should have 12V at Key On Engine Off. this morning i jumped power from the battery straight to Pin A (pnk/wht wire), and the car started right up. I'm wondering if anyone knows where this wire runs to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try differentracing.com for pin outs. Did you check console fuses?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Phuffstutter

1992 SL1
1994 SL2

I have physically pulled every fuse that i can find inside the car and under the hood, checking each one to make sure that it is still in working order. I am at the point where im thinking about opening the wiring harness to trace the wire to find any shorts or breaks in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Differentracing.com , Saturnwiki, past threads for pin outs/drawings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Phuffstutter

1992 SL1
1994 SL2

Thanks for your answers, I've looked through all the pinouts, and ive checked the haynes manual, but cannot find a positive answer on how this wire is routed, some have said straight to ignition switch while others say to fuse boxes first. i am just hoping to trace the wire for the most part unless someone knows for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Phuffstutter

1992 SL1
1994 SL2
Happy Re: Engine cranks but no spark

I solved it, and i couldnt feel anymore stupid about it. must be checking fuses i overlooked one and never really saw it was bad until checking it out again. i apologize for wasting all of your time. replaced the 7.5a DIS fuse and the car started right up. as for how it runs i will let everyone know when i am finished putting everything together and take it for a test drive. Thanks All!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're not the first nor will be the last to say "I checked fuses" when none were 'removed' and examined thoroughly.

All's well that ends well with a Saturn up and running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!