SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
trock859
trock859 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
Default don't buy a Gates thermostat

Here is why you don't want to buy a Gates thermostat.

This is less than 3 years and about 13K miles since I installed it. I hate to think about where the pieces of the seal are wedged.

I replaced it with a Stant, but they looked exactly identical. I wonder if they were from the same manufacturer in China.

This info is probably on here somewhere, but one hint:

Use your 1/4" drive 10mm socket and extension, then adapt it up to a 3/8 drive rachet. The smaller diameter of the socket will allow you unbolt the housing with much less trouble and without taking the hose off. The deepwell socket with a short extension worked the best for me.

I also drained the radiator and engine block for a change of coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trock859's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trock859 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trock859 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: don't buy a Gates thermostat

*yawn*.. Stants will eventually do the same thing; it's happened to me and alordofchaos once.

I believe this is more to do with the design of the stat, not whether or not it was made in China or India or Vietnam or some other communist dictatored country that day (though to be fair it does have some significance..)

1/4" drive ratchet huh? When I tried undoing the t-stat housing using my 1/4 drive ratchet it wouldn't budge.. when I do the thermostat I usually use a 10mm deep well socket hooked to a 3/8" ratchet. with some clever temporary hose stuffing I can free the thermostat no problem.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The Gates seems to fail sooner though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I replaced mine with OEM (Made in Germany). They tend to consistently fail before I put 100,000 miles on them. The seal degrades, but is still intact.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Looks like every single Stant I've replaced in these cars. It's gotta be something with the crap design or crap location.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The Gates seems to fail sooner though...
It used to be, anyone sayng Gates failed sooner was fightin' words! Now, it is a sign of end times.

I will stock-up on O.E.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

I thought they were going to be a good part as well...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

the replacement thermostat i just got from NAPA looked like a cheap piece of crap as well. unfortunately it wasn't priced like a cheap piece of crap. so far it seems to be functioning better than the old one, though. only time will tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magtec View Post
the replacement thermostat i just got from NAPA looked like a cheap piece of crap as well. unfortunately it wasn't priced like a cheap piece of crap. so far it seems to be functioning better than the old one, though. only time will tell.
The NAPA part is exactly the same as the Stant (different box, same exact part from the same manufacturer). Stant is the go-to thermostat for most of us, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, however, the NAPA branded one costs significantly more.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

yeah. the stant branded thermostat wasn't available same day at any of the local stores, so i got the napa one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
trock859
trock859 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
It used to be, anyone sayng Gates failed sooner was fightin' words! Now, it is a sign of end times.

I will stock-up on O.E.
I was expecting better from them myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trock859's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trock859 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trock859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

The 4 year old (I'll have to go check) thermostat I got from Autozone (85 celcius and made in Germany) is still hanging in there.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I've had the Stant in my car for over five years and over 60,000 miles. Still going strong.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

I had a Stant do exactly that in 2 years, around 40,000 miles. IIRC

Japanese Hybrid: $30k, 50mpg: burns Gas + Electric
Saturn Hybrid: $500, 40mpg: burns Gas + Oil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

These thermostats have a design defect in that the turbulent flow past the main disk tends to tear up the seal. As both Gates and STANT build these things in batches by the low bidder every batch is a bit different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
*yawn*.. Stants will eventually do the same thing; it's happened to me and alordofchaos once.

I believe this is more to do with the design of the stat, not whether or not it was made in China or India or Vietnam or some other communist dictatored country that day (though to be fair it does have some significance..)
You got at least a few months out of your first Stant unit right?

I do agree that design is probably a larger function of how long they last. The last one I got was the made in Germany unit from NAPA, and is not the same design as the ones that duplicate the Stants.

The sad thing is a cheap and good unit shouldn't be hard to find when dealing with thermostats... we aren't dealing with rocket science here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

LOL, seriously. Our backup car is my wife's 2003 Honda Odyssey with 200,000 miles on it. Still has the factory thermostat, which functions perfectly. Warms up in 5 minutes in winter, still never overheats pulling our popup camper up Rocky Mountains. Go figure.

Not to say it's a perfect car either. Took me about 10 hours to do the timing belt job on that car. Possibly harder than doing the chain on a Saturn.

Japanese Hybrid: $30k, 50mpg: burns Gas + Electric
Saturn Hybrid: $500, 40mpg: burns Gas + Oil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
You got at least a few months out of your first Stant unit right?
I've been kinda using the "what did you do to your saturn today" thread as an online spot for some non-routine maintenance things (in addition to the notebook I keep in the car)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nt#post1817914
Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos on 12/2/2011
Replaced the thermostat... again. Last replaced on 8/21/2009 at 102,555 miles. Just replaced at 136, 258 miles; had been failing for a month or two when I noticed. So the darn thing only lasted about two years, 34k miles. Stant 14279 both times.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The type of antifreeze has an impact as well on the life of that seal on the main thermostat disk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The type of antifreeze has an impact as well on the life of that seal on the main thermostat disk.
details?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!