SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Dizzy My $397 2002 Saturn Vue V6... What will it need

Ok, Ok... I am a newbie here.... And your probably wondering how one got a Vue so cheap and that it probably doesn't run for **** being so cheap...

Well..... The Original Owner died July 2nd, 2012 and her sister brought it up from San Diego, CA to Portland where it has basiclly sat since then. I need a second vehicle and my current $75 1996 Oldsmobile (he was being deployed and it needed a new home STAT earlier this year) is, well, awful.... So, after some discussion... Here is "Viki" the Vue... 2002 3.0 V6 AWD with 160K

I have not been able to find ANY threads on common issues on these older VUE's... I know there are some.. But what are they???

It runs great, idles awesomely and drive nice... It does have what I think is the end link noise though...

What reciepts I do have show: Oil Cooler, T-stat and o2 sensor at 91K miles.. Full timing belt, water pump, full fluid exchange (rear diff, trans, etc) also at 91K (2007).... Brakes 2x's, 1 set of rear brakes... New washer nozzles, wipers, 2 sets of tires, Intake manifold bolts and springs at 45k miles, Rear lateral link assemblys, LR Hub and Bearing at 92K, Trans pan gasket and seal at 105K, NEw upper radiator hose at 116K and multipul oil changes...

I am sure there has been other work, and Brenda (the sister) had brakes and a few things done before she brought it up here (but they dunno what and Elliot lost the reciept)..

So when do I worry about a second T-belt change and Water pump change... What do i need to look for to see if its been serviced, changed or what ever

Basicly, What have I gotten my self into..... I know the price is right.. I have about $500 (maybe $700) to spend for immidete work and a new used winshield and rear liftgate struts..

Thanks in advance and any and all help will be loved, appricated and needed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vicki the vue.jpg (200.3 KB, 50 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: My $397 2002 Saturn Vue V6... What will it need

To add:

The "Service" light with the wrench is illuminated....

The other VUE is her room mates... Its also a 2002 and its has so many things fixed... But the owner drives it very hard and is kinda rough on it..Also he hasn't maintained it well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
red1
red1 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Running great?
Everything new/replaced should live as long as the service manual recommends, from the mileage installed...for mine..03..3.0 liter...I need to replace the timing belt at 100k miles..which is due right now...for yours, add whatever the manual says to the mileage it was replaced at...for the sevice light..some part stores or (if you ask nicely) gm locations will read the codes for very little..

Milo (Nix the Burnt Orange Gm Name) colored AWD 2003 DinoMite Vue..127K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
LaboysToy
LaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really niceLaboysToy is just really nice

2008 VUE 2.4L

Is it a 2.2L ECOTEC or does it have the Honda Built 3.5L V6? If its the ECOTEC, you do not have a Timing Belt, You have a Timing Chain and do not need to replace it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LaboysToy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LaboysToy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LaboysToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

Mine has the Opel L81 V6..... Not the Honda and not the Ecotech.....

I am trying to just get a good footing as to what i may have to do

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Awesome score!

It sounds like it's been pretty well maintained. You could change the RDM (rear diff) fluid, and new transmission fluid wouldn't hurt. If everything else looks clean, it should be good to go. The timing belt should be good for 100k, so figure you have 30,000+ miles or so before it needs done again.

As for the Service Vehicle Soon (wrench light), it has to be read by very advanced scanners, such as the GM Tech II at the dealer. Your run of the mill scanners at AutoZone won't read them.

Another thing you may want to have done, is have the moonroof (looks like it has one) drains flushed. A friend of mine said our local Chevy dealer does it for $19. Better safe than sorry, as a clogged front drain could leak water onto an electrical connector for the transmission.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

Elliot Found The Reciept-

They had the following done in July

New Front Pads and Rotors
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New Rear Wheel Cylinders
Brake Fluid Flush

This was done at the Former Saturn (now Kia) dealer....

They had noted the Service light was on and the AC Pump is seeping.. WTF is an AC Pump???

I have driven it a bunch today and noted the following...Maybe because its been sitting, maybe otherwise....

It usualy takes two cranks of the key to start it....
There is some vibration when in drive at a stop light
Also noticed some shudder or vibration when coasting
Cruise control doesn't work
Gas Pedal is very touchy and sensitive

Also there is a smell of oil, it had leaked from the left front corner onto the exhaust pipe..But I am thinking this has been fixed by the valve cover gaskets... Should I check further I wonder

How durable are the throttle body's on these SUV's???

Going in monday hopefully to diagnose the service light and cruise control (as I have to have that) and check the vehicle over again, as I am MR. Paranoid and wanna have the thing in tip top shape

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

".....and the AC Pump is seeping.. WTF is an AC Pump???"

A/c compressor seeping refrigerant oil? Look under the a/c compressor for tell tale dye - its greenish yellow (factory). If you see dye then a leak has occurred to the a/c system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlincub321 View Post
Elliot Found The Reciept-

They had the following done in July

New Front Pads and Rotors
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New Rear Wheel Cylinders
Brake Fluid Flush

This was done at the Former Saturn (now Kia) dealer....

They had noted the Service light was on and the AC Pump is seeping.. WTF is an AC Pump???

I have driven it a bunch today and noted the following...Maybe because its been sitting, maybe otherwise....

It usualy takes two cranks of the key to start it....
There is some vibration when in drive at a stop light
Also noticed some shudder or vibration when coasting
Cruise control doesn't work
Gas Pedal is very touchy and sensitive

Also there is a smell of oil, it had leaked from the left front corner onto the exhaust pipe..But I am thinking this has been fixed by the valve cover gaskets... Should I check further I wonder

How durable are the throttle body's on these SUV's???

Going in monday hopefully to diagnose the service light and cruise control (as I have to have that) and check the vehicle over again, as I am MR. Paranoid and wanna have the thing in tip top shape
I have a few thoughts - but most important next step is capture code(s) causing the service light. Codes might point to causes of vibration in drive - at idle.

Needing to crank more than once could be fuel leaking back into tank due to faulty pressure valve. Try turning key on for three seconds - then off - back on and then turning to start. If engine starts using this method it could be a problem in tank (tank must be dropped to fix or learn to live with).

I believe oil leaks around valve/cam covers are a common 3.0 ailment. New gaskets are a short-term fix because a faulty PCV system will build pressure and "push" gaskets out in short-order.

Regarding cruise control - does the LED light when you select cruise ON? If no - there's a 2 amp CC fuse in IP fuse box (next to seated front pax's left foot). If fuse is good and power light does not light - could be bad switch or failed clockspring coil(s). Repost if you have meter or test-light and are willing to troubleshoot CC wiring.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

Is there a permanent fix for the PCV system/oil leak

I think my fuel pump is going out... I can flip the key to the on position, let it sit there for 35-40 sec to about 1,5 minutes and she will start first crank... You can also here some audible Fuel Pump Noise and it sounds sickly...

Car is going tomorrow to have the Service light checked and be tested for fuel pressure/fuel pump..The service light has become intermittent as I am driving the car more and more this weekend

The light is on for the cruise control..... Elliot seemed to recall them telling him it was some brake or sensor?????

Gotta get its fuel pressure checked, service light diagnosed and go from there...

The ac seems to work fine, but I will get it checked

The vibration at idle left... I am thinking motor mounts

Getting a new PCV valve may not be bad either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I think my fuel pump is going out... I can flip the key to the on position, let it sit there for 35-40 sec to about 1,5 minutes and she will start first crank... You can also here some audible Fuel Pump Noise and it sounds sickly...

Car is going tomorrow to have the Service light checked and be tested for fuel pressure/fuel pump..The service light has become intermittent as I am driving the car more and more this weekend

The light is on for the cruise control..... Elliot seemed to recall them telling him it was some brake or sensor?????

Gotta get its fuel pressure checked, service light diagnosed and go from there...

The ac seems to work fine, but I will get it checked

The vibration at idle left... I am thinking motor mounts

Getting a new PCV valve may not be bad either
The fuel pump should run for two seconds when key is turned to ON. The pump will turn off and won't run again until key is turned to start (CRANK), or turned OFF - then back ON - resulting in another two second run.

Unless otherwise necessary ... for first cold start of day - turn key ON and pause there for two or three seconds (IPC lights are all on - then most cycle OFF) before turning key to crank - see if this makes a difference.

The PCV system (no PCV valve) uses a hose from engine air intake to create crankcase vacuum to "pull" harmful fumes into engine for burning.

A common test to determine if the PCV system is operating normally is to remove the oil dipstick and check for a vacuum at dipstick opening with engine running at 1500 RPM. Positive pressure at dipstick hole indicates a blockage in PCV system.

If you have positive pressure at dipstick opening: (a) hose could be clogged, or (b) oil separator could be clogged. You, a mechanic, or dealership should be able to rapidly identify a clogged PCV system. Repair is generally DIY but tools, mechanical skills, tech data and medical supplies will be needed.

Regarding cruise control ... there are two switches attached to brake pedal. Both must sequence properly for cruise to work. One switch is also used for brake lights so is easy to check.

There's at least one diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for out of sequence switching - so perhaps this is causing the IPC light.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

It sort of does... Turning the key on sort of helps, and sort of doesn't.... If its parked on a hill, it doesn't... It also sometimes doesn't help at all

Oh nice, No PCV valve ... So I will have to dig around and clean the PCV system my self.. The oil in this rig is super clean... So I doubt the oil seaporator would be clogged...

I am going to get the Service light checked and the fuel pressure and such checked at the Buick/GMC dealer (our local chevy outfit here in Beaverton are a bunch of numnuts)

Thanks for the info on the PCV system and the slow crank...

I intended to run this thing into the ground, and god willing let me get another 100-120K outta it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The oil in this rig is super clean... So I doubt the oil seaporator would be clogged...
Fresh crankcase oil does not indicate the separator is not clogged. I hope it isn't but would hate to see you push those new cam cover gaskets out over next few months.

See this thread for more oil separator related data ... along with other possible useful 3.0 information ...

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...=172549&page=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

One more thing to add to the list... I may just order one and replace it any way

They (Braley and Graham Buick-GMC of Portland) has it now..They rightly admitted they hardly work on Saturns, but they have the books, knowldgeable technicians and such..... Wonder if I should worry?? There taking there time to Diagnose and look over it (which is good, I guess)....Our local Chevy outfit has awful reviews and they've treated my buddy like crap (and raped him on some costs)...... The guy's at Buick said all Saturns tech's left and went to Cadillac here in Portland... I bet that would be a pricey service visit..Right up there with my Mercedes or worse....

Thanks for the info.. This is quite helpful

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

What was the outcome?

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

I haven't had time to deal with it further, other than, it seems to be starting better the more I drive it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!