SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
charzii
charzii is on a distinguished road

Default anti theft ??

I have a 1996 sl2 automatic. It started ticking 2 nights ago. Ticking is coming from over passenger side rear wheel...somewhere. I couldn't stop it, so I took neg. battery cable off. The next day i put cable back on and it started ticking again. I read here someplace that if you have the dome light anywhere but off, it could cause/allow the ticking. Well as much as that made no sense to me, I tried it and the ticking stopped. But my car won't start....no nothing, no dash lights, nothing. I tried to find answer here, but all I could find was a description of a keyless entry problem causing the no start. I don't have a keyless entry and I'm not even sure I have any kind of anti theft thing either. I've had car for almost 2 years...barely over 100,000 miles on it. Do any of you Saturn experts have any ideas that I can try? I am not a car mechanic by any stretch,(although I did manage to change a motor mount, with your help) but I can follow instructions pretty good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charzii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charzii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charzii is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: anti theft ??

'96-'02 if you have power locks you have keyless entry. '97-'02 also get a security system, though '97-'99 is less freaking annoying then '00-'02.

Try putting the gear selector in "N" and start it, see what it does.

If you don't have a fob to make the keyless work and you have a '96-'99 with power locks it's a ~$25 eBay fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charzii View Post
I have a 1996 sl2 automatic. ..... I took neg. battery cable off. The next day i put cable back on and it started ticking again. ..........my car won't start....no nothing, no dash lights, nothing. ...... .

The following four questions address a no-start/no dash lights/no power issue.

1-Did you put the battery cable back on?

2-If the battery is over 4yrs old then have it tested at any auto store selling batteries. A dead/dying battery.............

3-Have the alternator tested when the battery is tested.

4-Are the battery cables clean and free of corrosion? Grounds, chassis and engine?

Ticking by the passenger side may be a worn out belt tensioner hitting its own end stop when the spring wears out. A simple test; if you can press and deflect the serp belt with just your fingers or see the belt flapping while the engine's running the tensioner is worn out. Some try a new belt but find out the hard way that this isn't the cure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
2-If the battery is over 4yrs old then have it tested at any auto store selling batteries. A dead/dying battery.............
In hot climates (like Houston) where your car bakes in the sun, that would be more like 2.5 years old.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^^^ It's def. the RKE; you're describing exactly where the module is located. It's behind the trim panel next to the rear seat on the driver's side. Now it's a chicken-egg question - is the battery weak just because it's old, and causing a voltage drop which is making the RKE module tick? Or is there something funky with the module, causing a battery drain? Another possible player, since RKE is tied to the power locks, is a very common issue with our cars -- the driver's door lock switch (it could be either one, but it's usu. the driver's) gets worn, to where the rocker won't stay in the "neutral" (neither lock nor unlock) position, and it falls into the lock position, constantly firing the power locks, which runs the battery down.

One member even had a problem where his RKE module fell off its perch and slipped down to the floor under the seat, still connected, into a little pool of water under the seat cushion, and evetually shorted out.

Put a slow charge on the battery. When it's fully charged, get it load tested. If you're so inclined, you can get your own load tester at Harbor Freight. Any sign of weakness with the battery, and as said above, replace it, so you're not chasing your tail with electrical demons. Then try removing the LOCKS fuse before reinstalling the battery, and see if that makes the ticking stop. We may reach the point where we're pulling that trim panel off in order to disconnect the module, but that's not difficult.

And to clarify/confirm the above, the '96 cars have no anti-theft system (other than the the fact that it's a '96 Saturn .....).

Last edited by madpogue; 11-08-2012 at 02:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
charzii

I tried starting car in neutral..still nothing. I will charge battery tonight, just to make sure that the battery is not the problem, but the battery is only about 1 yr. old, so it shouldn't be so DEAD, I don't think.

Can I just get rid of the keyless entry thing and just have a regular power door lock car, thus eliminating all of these problems? I have never had any problems before with door or starting car and I have never had any special keys/remotes etc....just a regular run of the mill key. Why all of a sudden is it acting like this?
Is this just a Saturn thing? A GM thing?

Sorry for frustration with Saturns, but 4 days without a car and no money to have it towed to the Saturn mechanic is starting to get to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help charzii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Remote keyless entry is just for the door locks and have nothing to do with any alarm or starter interrupt. All you may have is either a battery or starter issue. Once you know the battery is fully charged or have a friend give you a boost from their car battery, try starting. A dead, no-start problem may just be a worn out starter if you're still on the original starter. If you don't mind getting dirty, crawl under the car and whack the starter body a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber or rebar; this may allow one more start and tell you that the starter is worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
I tried starting car in neutral..still nothing. I will charge battery tonight, just to make sure that the battery is not the problem, but the battery is only about 1 yr. old, so it shouldn't be so DEAD, I don't think.
Age of the battery only affects how _long_ it takes to kill it. A brand new battery will go dead with enough of a constant load.

Quote:
Can I just get rid of the keyless entry thing and just have a regular power door lock car, thus eliminating all of these problems? I have never had any problems before with door or starting car and I have never had any special keys/remotes etc....just a regular run of the mill key. Why all of a sudden is it acting like this?
Yes, actually, you can disconnect the RKE module (it's under that trim panel, as described above), and the power locks will still work with the door switches. But if it's a failed door switch at the root of the problem, it won't help you.

The RKE uses a standard GM 3- or 4-button AB01502T remote, available for cheap on eBay, and programmable in the driveway with a paper clip. No special key.

Quote:
Sorry for frustration with Saturns, but 4 days without a car and no money to have it towed to the Saturn mechanic is starting to get to me.
Owning a >10-year-old car that's paid off, it should be a given that you have annual road service coverage such as AAA, or at least towing coverage on your insurance. Think of the $100-ish per year as a veeeerrrrry cheap alternative to a car payment and higher insurance payment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
charzii

I have adjusted my attitude and I am on my way out to: 1. remove LOCKS fuse. 2. reinstall charged battery...it was way dead. 3. start my Saturn. 4. reinstall LOCKS fuse and see what happens

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
charzii

My Saturn started! Wa Hoo! Since I don't know for sure what caused the battery to go dead, I am happy to leave Locks fuse out and manually lock and unlock my door. Oh for the good old days of cheap gas, carburetors, and manual everything(except steering)

Thanks guys for all of your help and suggestions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My Saturn started! Wa Hoo! Since I don't know for sure what caused the battery to go dead, I am happy to leave Locks fuse out and manually lock and unlock my door. Oh for the good old days of cheap gas, carburetors, and manual everything(except steering)

Thanks guys for all of your help and suggestions!
Easy, disconnect the drivers side power door lock switch. When ever I closed the door the locks would go crazy and drain the battery.

96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taatman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taatman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Could be the fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
rovingjeff
rovingjeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
'96-'02 if you have power locks you have keyless entry. '97-'02 also get a security system, though '97-'99 is less freaking annoying then '00-'02.

Try putting the gear selector in "N" and start it, see what it does.

If you don't have a fob to make the keyless work and you have a '96-'99 with power locks it's a ~$25 eBay fix.
I have a 99 with power locks, what is the $25 fix??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rovingjeff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rovingjeff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rovingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingjeff View Post
I have a 99 with power locks, what is the $25 fix??
Buying a ~$25 remote off ebay, then programming with a paperclip.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote