SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
MeanGreen
MeanGreen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Loss of Power and Squeak

So I was on the highway today and driving into a very strong headwind and when I floored it to pass another car I noticed a squeaking noise coming from somewhere on the car and the RPM's just held really high and I wasn't really going anywhere. Upon normal driving, it did just fine, just when I floor it and the rev's build up it seems to lose all power and the squeak noise comes back.

I drove it on normal streets and the same thing happened. Parked it and pulled on the throttle and couldn't hear it, moved under the car and had my friend pull the throttle and I could hear a squeak from the catalytic converter/downpipe area. I've had a CEL on for a long time since I burnt my downstream O2 sensor when I had a misfire, but never had any power issues till now. Am I correct in assuming both my O2 sensors are cooked as well as my cat? I haven't checked to see if any additional CEL's were added, but priced up the 2 O2 sensors and the cat on eBay for about $270, am I fixing my problem with that or is there more I should be checking?

Sorry for the novel, just had to explain it in full.

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-FE5 Suspension with Pedder springs
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MeanGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Loss of Power and Squeak

Be careful, the cat is integral with the downpipe, and should be replaced as an assembly. You drove around for who knows how long with a bad o2 sensor and misfires instead of fixing them, which very well may have caused more issues. Try fixing what your very is telling you is wrong before you worry about the "new" symptoms

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah I priced up the whole cat/downpipe assembly. I also need a new exhaust manifold gasket as well. Just checking if there were other things that I should check?

Also, does the factory downpipe have a flex pipe in it? I'm guessing that's where the squeak is coming from a leak in it, thus not sending proper amounts of exhaust past O2 sensors, running lean, etc

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I'm trying to remember if the flex pipe is on the downpipe or the cat back, iirc, it's right where the cat back bolts to the downpipe, on the downpipe.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah, checked under the hood when the engine was cold and I can literally spin the outer bit of the flex pipe on the down pipe...I think I found my culprit! Good thing the whole assembly is one pipe, new cat and flex pipe all in one, definitely will solve a lot of problems

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!