SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #61
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Used Oil Analysis Thread for Our Engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Ok, I see it now. That's interesting.

I found a Bob is the oil guy page on it. He also ties in the reductions in zinc/phosphorus requirements with shearing.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

So since my oil was down to the lower end of the range, would that mean it was time to change the oil?
Not really as it would not keep shearing way down. Time to change the oil rests usually on TBN. If the oil got VERY old, it would start thickening up. You only had 3k miles on a highly rated, extended performance oil.

If you would have paid $10 more for the TBN number, you would've seen that it was most likely still way up in the mid-single digits. Any TBN number 1.0 & below is too little of the additive package left. I personally would never drop below 2.0.

The Amsoil 0w-30 you put in will also last a very long time.

What oil filter did you screw on?

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Castrol Edge EP

Taking Care of a '01 SL2 10th Ann. Ed. "Silver Salute" Mobil 1 AFE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #62
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I used a standard length WIX filter. WIX51348 or WIX51348XP. For my last order to RockAuto, I ordered a couple of XP's but not really sure if that's what I used in the car this time. Oh man, your going to make me crawl back under there and find out.

I doubt that I'll use this oil more than a year. That's what Amsoil recommends. That won't be much more than 4k miles. Although, Oldnuk has posted that he extends his OCI more than a year.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 AM   #63
ayge
ayge is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

for my car 178 k im going cheap dino oil changed every 3k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ayge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ayge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #64
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
For shearing (thinning of the viscosity), I'm observing both of the viscosity results as compared to the ranges.

Virgin M1 EP 5w-30 is 10.6 & 59.8... Notice that yours sheared down to the bottom end of the 5w-30 range, which is somewhat normal in these engines. In most other engines, it usually doesn't shear down much.

Look at my first 2 UOA's on page 1. You'll notice the conventional AC Delco sheared down to a 20 grade oil (8.12), but the Synthetic Pennzoil Ultra did not (9.77) as it is a more shear-stable & stout oil.

Scroll down some, you'll see other Conventional oils (PYB) sheared down, but Full Synthetic Amsoil HDD (Heavy Duty Diesel) did not shear as it is a very stable oil.
Shear on Hunt4Steve's Amsoil signature series 5w-30 was 1.25% in 10k miles and shear in my Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 was 13% in 3k miles.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #65
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The big difference between the Amsoil Signature series and The series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is the zinc and phosphorous content. You can draw your own conclusions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #66
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

If an overhead cam engine is thoroughly broken in as mine is, do you need the increased zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP), especially with the signature series excellent shearing characteristic?

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #67
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

I'm about to switch my motor over to full synthetic. Napa has house bround synthetic for 3.79 qt till the end of february. What is a good quality oversized oil filter I can use with that and what is the fill up amount? Capacity for the 1.9 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #68
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreen View Post
I'm about to switch my motor over to full synthetic. Napa has house bround synthetic for 3.79 qt till the end of february. What is a good quality oversized oil filter I can use with that and what is the fill up amount? Capacity for the 1.9 DOHC
Get the NAPA Gold #1516 while you're there. It's the extended length & an excellent oil filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #69
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Get the NAPA Gold #1516 while you're there. It's the extended length & an excellent oil filter.

Would the engine having been driven 155k lightly ( By the past 2 older owners) with normal engine oil. Would switching to synthetic now be a good choice? I'm trying to do as much preventive maintenance to get this car to last me to 255k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #70
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The big difference between the Amsoil Signature series and The series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is the zinc and phosphorous content. You can draw your own conclusions.
As I understand the issue, the reduced zinc (ZDDP) could cause more wear in the cam lobs and lifters. That should show up in the wear metal iron in these used oil analysis reports. In the one UOA (not much of a sample size) with HDD oil, the iron is 2 ppm per 1,000 miles. That's about the same as other UOA's including mine with M1 EP oil. It would be nice to see a few more UOA's on our engines with higher zinc content oils to draw a better conclusion.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Old 04-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #71
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

couple of notes about my latest. i don't think my previous amounts of added oils were right. no way i bounced up that much. perhaps it was a quart more for the others(other than the 3900 mile one), example 2.25 instead of 1.25 quarts added

the silicone on the one test was from changing to a gen 1 valve cover

this particular test had 3 1150 mile trips, twice from NC to TX, and once from TX to NC, and a 1300 mile roundtrip to Iowa and back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest oil test.JPG (134.1 KB, 25 views)

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #72
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

In August 2013 the engine had 193k miles. In March 2015, 130k miles?

1993 SL2 AT - 182k miles
running Valvoline HM 5w-30 + LM2009 & PSL20195

TCW3 dosed fuel

Goldie: a dame to kill for...watch out squirrels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #73
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

I have a nice list of UOAs tracking the terminal illness of an engine. It is coming out for a crank and bearing replacement this summer if it hasn't spun anything by then... well it will still be getting a crank and bearing replacement, will just be more painful post catastrophic failure.

http://i.imgur.com/d8TZg9y.png

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #74
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
In August 2013 the engine had 193k miles. In March 2015, 130k miles?
Should be 230, not 130

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #75
sidney004
sidney004 has a spectacular aura aboutsidney004 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

You guys are going to love this one! As some of you may recall from my previous threads; due to the relatively high oil consumption of my 228K SL1, I've been topping it off with used drain oil from my other vehicles, either Amsoil 5W-40 with 12,000 miles on it or Amsoil XL 5W-30 with 10,000 miles on it. I've been using a Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter. The initial fill was with Walmart 10W-30(Warren Oil Co.) and the new filter. I added about a quart of used drain oil every 1000 miles to top it off. I ran it for 21,000 miles or 20 quarts of used drain oil. I am a firm believer that the quantity of oil is more important than the quality of oil in these cars. I cut the filter open and examined it, very little debris, no visible metallic particles. I probably could of run it another 20,000 miles with no concern of plugging up.
Aluminum 27
Chromium 3
Iron 123
Copper 28
Lead 3
Tin 0
Molybdenum 84
Nickel 16
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 48
Silicon 22
Sodium 64
Calcium 3883
Magnesium 430
Phosphorus 1443
Zinc 1737
Barium 0
cST Viscosity @100C: 12.0
Fuel: <1
Water%: <.1
Soot: <0.1
Base Number: 2.40 mg KOH/g
Oxidation: 30 abs/cm
Nitrification: 23 abs/.1mm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sidney004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sidney004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sidney004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #76
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The question this UOA does not answer is the level of particulates and their size. The only problem with what you are doing is the engine will concentrate all noncombustible materials. The metals will slowly increase over time until drained. The TBN has to be watched that the oil does not go to an acid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #77
sidney004
sidney004 has a spectacular aura aboutsidney004 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The question this UOA does not answer is the level of particulates and their size. The only problem with what you are doing is the engine will concentrate all noncombustible materials. The metals will slowly increase over time until drained. The TBN has to be watched that the oil does not go to an acid.
Agreed, a particle count would have helpful. I believe that the 2.40 mg KOH/g is indicative of the acid neutralizing capacity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sidney004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sidney004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sidney004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #78
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Sidney004: Your Al, Fe and Cu are way too high. Check out our previous UOA's here so you know what I mean.

What we don't know is: Did it carry over from your other engines or is it from this engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #79
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Any thoughts on my oil analysis? This car is mainly driven around town and it was exactly 9 months between oil changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7N...ew?usp=sharing

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF
Wife's: 98 SW2, 130k, auto trans, bought 01/2014
Mine: 07 Focus wagon, 5 speed, 380k km, bought 02/2015
02 SL sold after 3.5 years of faithful service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 AM   #80
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

^ It's shedding Fe double or triple more than average or than it should.

Definitely change the Air Filter with a quality one like NAPA Gold and clean & inspect
the air intake system for leaks, then do another UOA to compare..

Which Synthetic was in it? Which oil did you put in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!