SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #41
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Used Oil Analysis Thread for Our Engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
does oil go bad? i've had an old gatorade bottle full of oil for like 1.5 months now in my back seat. meant to send it, need the bottles they send
You can send it in, no problem. It won't change. Give it a little shake & you're good to go!

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Castrol Edge EP

Taking Care of a '01 SL2 10th Ann. Ed. "Silver Salute" Mobil 1 AFE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #42
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
You can send it in, no problem. It won't change. Give it a little shake & you're good to go!
awesome. its some valvoline maxlife with a pure 1 filter. 9000ish miles

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #43
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Used Oil Analysis Thread for Our Engines.

I figured out how to upload a non-picture image from a PDF on Tinypic, by utilizing the Snipping Tool & saving as a JPG.

So, here are the last 2 UOA's from Creampuff, the 2000 SL2.

Pennzoil Ultra on the left, Conventional AC Delco on the right. Notice the Conventional shearing way down & the Synthetic not...

Not bad though, eh??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #44
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

This just in from Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...uly-1-2014.php

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #45
jhonky

1998 SL2

Anyone ever used something other than Blackstone? I see amsoil got one that's like 33. And I saw something out of the corner of my eye that I believe was "oil analyzers". Anyone use those before? I think I am gonna go like 13k on this oil.

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #46
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
Anyone ever used something other than Blackstone? I see amsoil got one that's like 33. And I saw something out of the corner of my eye that I believe was "oil analyzers". Anyone use those before? I think I am gonna go like 13k on this oil.

never used anyone other then blackstone. the personal details he gives you is well worth my continued patronage. i used him for my TA during race seasons, and regular changes on my truck. he's suggested not even thinking about the oil for at least 5k, and said this current change is good for 7500 miles. i tow up to around 5k lbs with my truck at times, and this is with regular dino oil, whatever name brand is on sale, and a fram TG (the only fram i'd use is the TG).

once i put more miles on the saturn (95 SL2 with 23K original miles....THAT is a creampuff), ill see how the wear and intervals go.

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #47
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I just mailed my first ever oil sample to Blackstone -- Mobil 1 with 5700 miles on it. Just drained at 203,240 on the clock from my 1998 SL2.

Hopefully all comes back well!

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #48
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

1998 SL2 - 240k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
1995-SC2
1995-SC2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

have you had any issues getting a sample, I could not get the 1/4 pvc hose to go all the way down into the oil pan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995-SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995-SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995-SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #50
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That size will not fit, too large.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #51
colonelhogan44

1998 SL2

I just took the sample when I drained the oil...

1998 SL2 - 240k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #52
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Today, I went to mail an oil sample to Blackstone Labs.

My neat little package contained: little plastic oil bottle wrapped in absorbent; placed in a baggie; placed in a plastic bottle; placed in a Tyvek bag; surrounded by packing peanuts; placed in a cardboard box.

When prompted by the screen, I replied, "Yes, it does contain liquid." The teller asked what it was. I said used motor oil for Blackstone Labs.
He said I couldn't send oil.
I said I could and that it met USPS standards. I then wipped out the card and read it: "Yes. You can send it. It’s not hazardous. Sometimes the post office thinks it is, but we have a letter you can print out (go to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-letter.php) ..."

The USPS Counter Guy said, "just a minute." He says to the guy next to him, "Hey, can we send oil?"
The guy says, "What kind of oil?"
I said, "Used motor oil sample."
He said, "We can't send motor oil."

There were 10+ people waiting, so I left not wanting to stop the world for my oil sample.
(I should have told him it was a dried 'bola pâté sampler from Liberia and I'm sure that would have been fine NOTE: That Was A Joke!)

So, do I lie and commit mail fraud next time? There are plenty of local authority figures who would love to crack my head on the pavement and throw me in the holding cell and notify the local news paper to include me in the crime blotter feature - and I'm not even including those who are "on the take!"

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #53
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Print the letter out and then ask to speak with the postmaster when you get static. You might have to read the Domestic Mail Manual to them but the letter gives you the section and paragraph so you can print that out as well, it is on the USPS site.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-letter.php

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #54
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Hello -

Here is mine at 266K miles :

As requested from this thread :

Cost of 1999 DOHC engine rebuild?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203358

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #55
jhonky

1998 SL2

i really wanted to do mine, but did an mmo soak on the pistons before i changed the oil. hadn't done one in like 40k miles. figured it would mess with my figures...but went about 12k on m1 ep

perhaps next oil change at another 12k i will

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #56
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #57
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Thanks for doing the UOA & posting Sid!

Our 1.9L engines continue to have excellent results with low wear metals.
It did shear a bit, but that is usual with the Twin Cam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #58
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Thank you for starting this thread.
For "shearing", are you looking at the iron?
Hopefully someone will post a UOA for Rotella T6. It would be interesting to see if the wear metals are less with more zinc/phosphorus (ZDDP).
As I posted elsewhere, I'm using Amsoil 0w-30 presently but it will take me many moons to have enough miles on it to do a UOA.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #59
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

For shearing (thinning of the viscosity), I'm observing both of the viscosity results as compared to the ranges.

Virgin M1 EP 5w-30 is 10.6 & 59.8... Notice that yours sheared down to the bottom end of the 5w-30 range, which is somewhat normal in these engines. In most other engines, it usually doesn't shear down much.

Look at my first 2 UOA's on page 1. You'll notice the conventional AC Delco sheared down to a 20 grade oil (8.12), but the Synthetic Pennzoil Ultra did not (9.77) as it is a more shear-stable & stout oil.

Scroll down some, you'll see other Conventional oils (PYB) sheared down, but Full Synthetic Amsoil HDD (Heavy Duty Diesel) did not shear as it is a very stable oil.

Last edited by Pitcher; 02-05-2015 at 08:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #60
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Ok, I see it now. That's interesting.

I found a Bob is the oil guy page on it. He also ties in the reductions in zinc/phosphorus requirements with shearing.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

So since my oil was down to the lower end of the range, would that mean it was time to change the oil?

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation