SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Used Oil Analysis Thread for Our Engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1driver View Post
I keep thinking I should get a UOA done but I just keep putting it off. Is Blackstone still a decent lab to use?
1 st time using them and they have fast service. They are THE leading analyzer around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
sl1driver
sl1driver is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
1 st time using them and they have fast service. They are THE leading analyzer around.
Thanks for the info. I have requested a test kit.

Andy

2000 SL1 5 speed - 149k and still going strong. Slight oil usage.
New Intake Manifold Gasket, Clutch, Ects, Thermostat, IAC, TPS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl1driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl1driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

here is my newest one. i changed my valve cover to the gen 1 aluminum kind maybe 1k into this oil....is that probably the reason for the increased silicon? wanted to go 10k but wasn't sure if i should, guess i will next time
Attached Images
File Type: png uoa 8600 sl2.png (117.8 KB, 44 views)

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
i changed my valve cover to the gen 1 aluminum kind maybe 1k into this oil....is that probably the reason for the increased silicon?
If the head was exposed to air for a long time then maybe, also if you were rather messy with the RTV that could cause it too.

FWIW - My rebuilt engine had silicon in the 140 range immediately after the build (second oil, first was changed after 30 minutes and not sampled).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
jhonky

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
If the head was exposed to air for a long time then maybe, also if you were rather messy with the RTV that could cause it too.

FWIW - My rebuilt engine had silicon in the 140 range immediately after the build (second oil, first was changed after 30 minutes and not sampled).
potentially the latter. shawnv changed my valve cover. head probably was exposed to air for say 1 hour(i had to go to advance to get another gasket since they gave me the wrong one)- idk what is considered messy with rtv, but a few of my spark plug tubes had the rtv stuff on it when i changed them to magnacor

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure it goes down next time. An hour is nothing unless your/his garage is really dusty. Probably just squished out RTV causing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #27
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Very little RTV will send it right up. What are you using for an air filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
jhonky

1998 SL2

aem sri

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
aem sri
Which filter? Dry flow or oiled?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
jhonky

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Which filter? Dry flow or oiled?
Oh didn't know they had other kinds. I have the dryflow I thought

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, you would know if it was oiled. Those dryflow filters are supposed to be washed every s often. You can buy high priced air filter soap or, you can go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of Woolite soap for washing wool items. Basically fill the sink with cold water and 1 cap of Woolite and slosh filter in it until clean, cold rinse and air dry. No heat! If it has been used for a year or so it will be dirty and pass more dirt which shows up in the oil as silicon. Other than that they are great filters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #32
jhonky

1998 SL2

i bought the aem branded cleaner from their website. how often should i use it?

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #33
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The AEM dryflow is washed in cold water and Woolite if you are cheap. The filter should be cleaned when it is obviously dirty or annually just because.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #34
jhonky

1998 SL2

been on my to do list for a month or so. think it's been about a year

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #35
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up Hunt4Steve 1993 Saturn Oil Analysis Results

Received my results......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #36
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Very nice results & the Fe is low for a newly rebuilt engine. Si is a bit high, so check the air filter & airways for any leaks. A quality paper filter or Amsoil EAA filter is a good idea, the K&N's let a bit more dirt in the engine.

The legend is nice to add, but it is old as the Zinc & Phosphorous have been reduced from there on passenger car oil. Good general reference.

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Castrol Edge EP

Taking Care of a '01 SL2 10th Ann. Ed. "Silver Salute" Mobil 1 AFE

Last edited by Pitcher; 04-22-2014 at 04:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #37
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

This is interesting, There is one oil that I really noticed a difference with engine smoothness and that was with Royal Purple, With the cost of that oil who could afford it though.....

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Very nice results & the Fe is low for a newly rebuilt engine. Si is a bit high, so check the air filter & airways for any leaks. A quality paper filter or Amsoil EAA filter is a good idea, the K&N's let a bit more dirt in the engine.

The legend is nice to add, but it is old as the Zinc & Phosphorous have been reduced from there on passenger car oil. Good general reference.
Funny you should mention the Si, I do run a K&N Filter. Guess I should switch to an Amsoil Ail Filter. This reading was for 10k miles, and using only 1 oil Filter, the Amsoil Ea15k oil filter.

I think I'll get the Amsoil Air Filter and see if the Si numbers are reduced by the next 10 mile mark.

Thanks for the feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #39
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

OldNuc pointed out that the "Universal Averages" that Blackstone uses are based upon a 4k mile oil sample. Since I drove 10K miles, the numbers are a bit skewed when comparing against the "Universal Averages". OldNuc suggested that I divide the Metal Numbers by 2.5 to get a more accurate comparison of numbers against 4k miles.

In doing this, my numbers do drop substantially, which is even better. It should also be noted that I do run a K&N Air Filter. I'll be switching this out to a Wix Filter, which should bring the Si numbers down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #40
jhonky

1998 SL2

does oil go bad? i've had an old gatorade bottle full of oil for like 1.5 months now in my back seat. meant to send it, need the bottles they send

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!