SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
83trekker
83trekker is on a distinguished road

Default Siphon gas from my 99 sl1

Saturday night I had a guy turn in front of my wife and took my Saturn out, its most likely a write off, and we just finished putting gas in the car, how can I Siphon it out?

Man I am going to miss my car, that 99 sl1 was the most reliable car I have ever owned, 208K KM on it and still the front was all original and drove straight as an arrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 83trekker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 83trekker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
83trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Siphon gas from my 99 sl1

Unplug the fuel line from in front of the left rear wheel, direct it into a suitable container. Use a jumper wire to jump pins 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay. Unplug jumper when the container's full or the tank's empty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
83trekker

What do i unplug it from, i was looking at the fuel filter there and they have some weird looking connectors on the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 83trekker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

If this is what the fuel filter & regulator look like, then the connections appear to be normal fuel line connectors (I've never needed to look at a '98+ setup before...)

There should be a black plastic "shell" around the nipples, with a differently colored pair of tabs inside it. You have to compress both tabs, then pull the line off. It might be better to unplug it after the regulator (probably the single nipple side), so that fuel isn't coming out at whatever super-high (maybe variable) rate the pump can give.
Like this filter for a '91-'97, the end at the bottom shows what I mean. You compress the clear/white tab's:

Heck, maybe you'd find it easier to unplug the fuel line from the fuel rail on the engine and unclip it from the frame rail to try getting it outside the car by the driver side wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
83trekker

Mine i think looks like the first pic, i was changing the tire last tuesday when i glanced at it, so i wasnt looking at it at that time to drain the tank. Just seen it, cause it was there and notice the ends on it. So i should be able to pop the ends off just by cimping them, i gues all i need is somewhere to get a rubber hose off to stick in jerry can.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
fetchitfido

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

The second one was only to show what the connector I figured I failed at describing looks like

You should be able to take them off by just squeezing the outer part of the white tab, but if it's stubborn you may have to poke a screwdriver into the "window" where the locking part of the tab is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

create a suction... take a section of an old garden hose and suck it out, just move your mouth away before it gets in your mouth :P

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

9/23/2012:currently running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (uncle gets an awesome deal so I figure I'd try it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

There is a quite effective anti siphon trap in the 98 and newer fill tube.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There is a quite effective anti siphon trap in the 98 and newer fill tube.
There is Anti siphon in all generations. And it is quite irritating.

In my SL2, there is a disconnect right under the drivers side door. Not quite sure for Second generations though. I haven't checked the SC.

93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all

Last edited by Yerboogieman; 10-27-2012 at 07:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yerboogieman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yerboogieman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The older ones are much easier to defeat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The older ones are much easier to defeat.
Yeah I hear there is a ball you can take out. But I forgot to do it when I was fixing some issues.

93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yerboogieman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yerboogieman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote