SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
desertrat
desertrat is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default So if Saturn was founded January 7, 1985.....

.....what was Saturn doing till July 1990 when they drove the very first Saturn off the assembly line in Spring Hill, Tennessee??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to desertrat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help desertrat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: So if Saturn was founded January 7, 1985.....

planning, building, training. choosing dealer network. only dealer groups with the best csi were eligable to own a saturn territory. designing and planning a car. building a plant in spring hill. saturn built a company that to this day has changed the way cars are sold and how people are treated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
txsaturn
txsaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
saturn built a company that to this day has changed the way cars are sold and how people are treated.
Have you bought a car recently? The treatment and experience hasn't changed much since 1990....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

true. it does depend what part if the country you live in and what dealer group you buy from. alot of rough dealers out there but gms goal was to have the saturn way go to other gm dealers/ did it work? mostly id say no.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsaturn View Post
Have you bought a car recently? The treatment and experience hasn't changed much since 1990....
OK

how come Saturn was all about no pressure, no haggle? and boy, everyone else LOVES to do both of those things.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
txsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
how come Saturn was all about no pressure, no haggle? and boy, everyone else LOVES to do both of those things.
The no pressure, no haggle sales approach looks great on paper, but failed miserably as far as Saturn goes. Most car buyers are concerned about getting the best possible deal and have been programmed that paying "sticker" for anything is just unacceptable. It's been a long time, but when I looked at new Saturns their sticker prices were competitive against the competition, but you could get large discounts against MSRP elsewhere.

As much as a lot of people on this forum want to act like Saturn revolutionized something/anything, they just didn't have a substantial or lasting impact on the industry. They were a niche player at best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help txsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

people waited in line to buy saturns at sticker price. at one time in 1994 we had no inventory and 328 sold cars coming for customers. even at the end when things had changed so many came to buy new saturns because of the way they had been treated over the years. it wasnt just the sticker price it was the whole program and it did work. you would have had to have been there at the time and went thru saturn training which many companies pretty much copied the training word for word.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
txsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
people waited in line to buy saturns at sticker price. at one time in 1994 we had no inventory and 328 sold cars coming for customers. even at the end when things had changed so many came to buy new saturns because of the way they had been treated over the years. it wasnt just the sticker price it was the whole program and it did work. you would have had to have been there at the time and went thru saturn training which many companies pretty much copied the training word for word.
Yet they never made a profit and were shut down.....

I'm not denying their early success. It created a lot of fanboys. However, it really didn't "change the game" in any meaningful way. None of the remaining brands or major dealer groups in this nation have adopted any of Saturn's actual sales tactics. Scion would be the closest, but it's hard to call them a big success, either.

I know all of us, at some point, were fans of the brand. However, let's not exaggerate how innovative or revolutionary the brand was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I'm not denying their early success. It created a lot of fanboys. However, it really didn't "change the game" in any meaningful way. None of the remaining brands or major dealer groups in this nation have adopted any of Saturn's actual sales tactics. Scion would be the closest, but it's hard to call them a big success, either.

I know all of us, at some point, were fans of the brand. However, let's not exaggerate how innovative or revolutionary the brand was.
Fair enough, but two points to make.

1. I don't know if Scion is a major profit center for Toyota. I think the Lexus line does that all by itself. What Scion does is get people in the door to consider Toyotas and Lexuses (Lexii?) when it comes time for their next car.

2. GM gave Saturn a greater degree of autonomy in the early days than Toyota has ever given Scion. For Saturn, the reeling-in process by its parent company began around 1995 or so, about the time the S-Series was due for its refresh.

Scion was fortunate enough to have the backing of parent company Toyota from the outset. Toyota provided vehicles from the company's global portfolio to market here under the Scion nameplate, and Scions are sold through the Toyota dealer network. Not all that revolutionary, either, if you ask me. Scion is Saturn done with greater corporate support and less inter-divisional hostility.

Other than that, I am in agreement with the observations in your post.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Well, it appears that GM IS trying to change the way dealers sell cars (ie. the Saturn way). Chevy is introducing no-haggle pricing and return guarantees on their cars. This was just recently announced. I guess" better late than never". Now, if they would just bring back polymer body panels----

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
txsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
Chevy is introducing no-haggle pricing and return guarantees on their cars.
These are temporary sales incentives/techniques. No haggle pricing is just to clear out 2012 inventory and only lasts until September 4. The return scheme is also effective only until September 4.

So really, this has nothing to do with Saturn. Rather tried and true sales schemes to make customers think they're getting the best deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

The 2 Saturns we have purchased were for my Wife. She loved the Saturn way of one price, no pressure. She said for a Woman it was a huge plus and feather in the cap of Saturn.
I was, and am still more skeptical of it. But these were her deals so whatever she was happy with was fine.

Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

thats why saturn had such loyal customers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
.....what was Saturn doing till July 1990 when they drove the very first Saturn off the assembly line in Spring Hill, Tennessee??
As mentioned in another post- they were hiring people and training people, etc.

You do realize that Tennessee was one of approx. Eleven states that was vying for the building of the Saturn plant, right? There was Millions of dollars that was tied up in the building/decision/incentives of where to place the plant, with Tennessee being the front runner.

Building the first NEW carline that GM had in close to 80 years at the time was no small feat. I think one of the biggest things that took the longest was the specialized UAW contracts, etc. with GM to make everything work. Then when you figure in the placement of the original dealerships (438?) that were built from the ground up....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Oh really... Guess that "Chevy, love it or we'll take it back" ( I just threw up a little in my mouth) was all Chevy's idea..

As well as "Chevy, once price for everyone. Everyone pays the same guaranteed low price" They just introduced is GREAT! ( Really am vomiting now )

Both are Circa SATURN 1991.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Oh really... Guess that "Chevy, love it or we'll take it back" ( I just threw up a little in my mouth) was all Chevy's idea..

As well as "Chevy, once price for everyone. Everyone pays the same guaranteed low price" They just introduced is GREAT! ( Really am vomiting now )

+1 on that--see post #10 above.

2008 Vue RL--traded
2011 Volvo C30--mine
2011 Volvo XC60-wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
txsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post

About a month late to the party. Further, read my later post:

Quote:
These are temporary sales incentives/techniques. No haggle pricing is just to clear out 2012 inventory and only lasts until September 4. The return scheme is also effective only until September 4.

So really, this has nothing to do with Saturn. Rather tried and true sales schemes to make customers think they're getting the best deal.
Not to mention several others from last month in this forum discussing this very thing. Thanks, though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
txsaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
+1 on that--see post #10 above.
Again, it's a model year end closeout scheme, not a shift in the way Chevy sells car. I know it's hard to understand, but still.....

The point came up as a part of the discussion that Saturn somehow changed the way cars were sold. Fact of the matter is that Saturn did diddly squat to change how cars were sold. The strongest evidence to the contrary is a month long sales scheme to clear out prior MY inventory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

One thing I don't see posted here is that Saturn helped to change the customers' experience when getting their cars SERVICED. I'd venture to say it was more influential than the sales experience, and in domestic dealers (at least ones around here) the effect has been lasting. Customers, especially women and younger males, are treated much better than they had been traditionally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #20
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

To the naysayers here, I share this article as being one of the best about the Saturn story I've seen:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/08/sat...g-failure.html

Saturn really was a game-changer... unfortunately, GM didn't really want to change its game (though others have pointed out that there is some legacy left by the Saturn way of doing things).

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 179,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote