SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
ls2slammer
ls2slammer is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench 2000 Saturn Ls2 won't crank

My 2000 Saturn LS2 6cy sedan was always in good mechanical health until one day after it sat for about 2 weeks. That morning I jumped in, turned the key, all the usual dash lights came on and then the security name shut off..like always...but no cranking

Things I tried:
--Did a battery jump but to no avail, also tried the lights when attempting a start but they didn't dim at all.
--Checked all fuses..they looked good
--Swapped 2 (#8567)"underhood" relays with the horn relay..no change
--Since battery was very old I dropped in a new one...no change

Observations:
On turning the key and depressing the brake I could hear the brake relay as well as the engine fuel pump make a short sound, but no big click, like a starter solenoid kicking in.

What I'd like to know:
I looked for the starter but can't see it..I wish I had a under hood visual so I could locate it.

Any ideas?
...Thanks for you help...Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls2slammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls2slammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls2slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: 2000 Saturn Ls2 won't crank

Sorry, V6's weren't in the S-Series so most people in this section won't be able to help with specific details.

The easy, simple way to find the starter in any vehicle is to follow where the positive battery cable leads. One side/wire always goes to the under-hood fuse box and another, larger, one goes to the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
ls2slammer

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I must of had V6s on the brain. I'll make the change.

I did trace the positive wire from the battery and it went to the fuse box under the hood. Thanks for replying..Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ls2slammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

You have power to the car. There is an interlock on the transmission range/neutral switch that electrically locks out the starter. Try shifting to neutral and try cranking and then back to park and repeat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
midway
midway will become famous soon enoughmidway will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your starter location

As you walk up to the front of the car, lean over and look at the side of the engine next to you on the flywheel end, you should see it there.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 22Lstarter.gif (108.1 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have automatic trans, neutral safety switch will be no the trans at shift cable connection. Lean over left fender and look down towards the back side of case, you should see shift cable, wire harness and swirch. If you have manual trans, the clutch switch is on the pedal bracket under dash. I can email some service manual info if you could PM an email address.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Do you have an L series or a S series car, the info I looked up is for L series. should basically be the same, not sure. I ask because you have posted in the S forum but say you have a L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
ls2slammer

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i Midway,

My Saturn is a 2000 Ls2, 6 cyl, 5 passenger, 4 door.

So what you're saying is if I stand on the driver's side looking down in to the engine compartment I should see the starter as you pictured it.
I was planning to have someone turn the key, (of course while in park), while I see if a dc voltage is being applied to the starters input wire...

If I see zero voltage and all the fuses/relay are good then I'd guess the key lock or the neutral switch(I have no idea wher ethat is) might be the trouble. That's why I'm looking for an electrical diagram/schmatic in order to trace the line from the key lock to the starter.

...Thanks, Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
ls2slammer

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Email is: stmikepb@comcast.net

Thanks, Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2slammer View Post
.....My Saturn is a 2000 Ls2, 6 cyl, 5 passenger, 4 door....
Whether you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, all starters are wired the same way; the large RED battery cable is attached to one large starter solenoid terminal and the smaller gauge wire (purple?) is the START signal from the switch. When the ign switch is turned to the START position, 12v can be measured on the small wire. To do this safely while under the car, disconnect this wire from the starter solenoid and measure it with either a 12v test light or multimeter. Have someone turn the ign switch to the START position and you measure this wire for 12v; if 12v is measured (as long as the ignition switch is held to the START position then the starting circuit including the Park/Neutral safety switch is fine - the starter is worn out. Left connected to the starter solenoid, this 12v START signal powers the solenoid that closes a large set of battery contacts to power the starter to crank the engine.

You can also bang the starter body a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber and try starting. A start simply means the starter is worn out.

If you have to disconnect any wiring on the starter, disconnect the battery negative cable first then disconnect any wiring by the starter before reconnecting battery negative cable for testing the starting circuit. Not doing this and inadvertently shorting the small terminal to the large terminal can result in powering up the starter (good ones) immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (179.6 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was working from your info on the left of 2000 L Series 2.2L which is the 4 cyl, V6 changes the location of the starter, V6 starter is mounted on the firewall side of the engine, not easy to see. If you lean over the right fender and look at the firewall side of the engine you will see the starter mounted to the engine right above the transaxle. I can scan and email some of the service manual Monday when I get to work, I have a lot going on today at home, I may be able to get some copied and saved later today.

fdryer has given you the instructions for testing in his post, he has a lot of knowledge to share. I have not changed a starter on the V6 but I am going to have to learn soon, my starter is starting to refuse to turn the engine at times, I will say it is going to be fun learning, probably not a bad job once you have done it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You have an email

REWARD EXCELLENCE!