SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Replacement fuel filter?

It's about time for a fuel filter change for the SC2, is there a specific brand I should get? One member of the forums said to only use the Napa/Wix filter or OEM.Why is that? Are there any particular brands to watch out for or can I use any filter? (That is right for the car )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Replacement fuel filter?

From 98 up, the fuel pressure regulator is integrated with the filter body. Only the OEM filter, the Wix 33731, or the NAPA branded Wix (FIL3731 or something like that), provide the proper fuel pressure.

GK industries makes one that may work, #GF1846 - one member tested one recently, and it provided 1 PSI over

Avoid Bosch, Fram, Purolator... anything other than the recommended filtes, unless you feel like experimenting and the store has a good return policy (and after you've researched what running lean at high throttle does to your valves )

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Ok, There's a NAPA not too far away so I'll have to check that one out. I'm leery of giving out my card information online to buy anything otherwise I'd check out ordering the OEM one online.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Avoid Bosch, Fram, Purolator... anything other than the recommended filtes, unless you feel like experimenting and the store has a good return policy (and after you've researched what running lean at high throttle does to your valves )
Tried Bosch plugs once, NEVER AGAIN. I do believe it has a fram oil filter on at the moment and no problems from that. Although it is due for an oil change this weekend if I have the time. Purolator, never tried any of their items and I don't plan on it. My family sticks with the brands we know. Always been that way. But, I ramble

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

purolator makes decent oil filters, actually. i usually use the pureones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
From 98 up, the fuel pressure regulator is integrated with the filter body. Only the OEM filter, the Wix 33731, or the NAPA branded Wix (FIL3731 or something like that), provide the proper fuel pressure.

GK industries makes one that may work, #GF1846 - one member tested one recently, and it provided 1 PSI over

Avoid Bosch, Fram, Purolator... anything other than the recommended fuel filters, unless you feel like experimenting and the store has a good return policy (and after you've researched what running lean at high throttle does to your valves )
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Ok, There's a NAPA not too far away so I'll have to check that one out. I'm leery of giving out my card information online to buy anything otherwise I'd check out ordering the OEM one online.
I understand your concern, and would like to happily suggest using PayPal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magtec View Post
purolator makes decent oil filters, actually. i usually use the pureones.
There's nothing wrong with Purolator oil filters. I think alordofchaos was only referring to their fuel filters.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

was referring to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Purolator, never tried any of their items and I don't plan on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

There's a place online that sells OEM filters for just over 30 bucks. I can't remember for the life of me what the site is, though. They are listed as NAPA gold, but underneath the Napa sticker is a Saturn part number sticker.

I found the site recommended by another member, so maybe someone will chime in with that old thread...

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Purolator oil filters. I think alordofchaos was only referring to their fuel filters.
Yes, originally I was only referring to the fuel filters

Since I've owned my Saturn, i have run only one type of oil filter, Purolator PureOne PL20195. I agree with magtec, Purolator makes an excellent oil filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Eh. Maybe I'll try them then. I guess my reason for not using them is more of because I just use the brand my family has always used (Now that I think about it, it's fram). I'll have to check and see which filter is cheaper. If it's recommended on here, it can't be bad

Last edited by ninetynineSC2; 10-06-2012 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Update

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

On the subject of what brands to avoid, do you guys have any recommendations for plug wire brands and air filters? I was thinking for the wires just go with w/e Napa has available. I already know to stick with NGK copper plugs if I can find them, otherwise just copper plugs gapped properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

My Saturn has 186k miles and just looked at the fuel filter. 21008019 part number. I pretty much only use shell gas but I think it is time for a new filter. Gonna soak the bolts hardcore before attempting to take them out. Have no idea about drilling new holes and self tapering bolts etc. Got a 5% off rockauto code I want to use

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Get the filter here:

http://www.usafilterstore.com/

It's much cheaper than rockauto.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
My Saturn has 186k miles and just looked at the fuel filter. 21008019 part number. I pretty much only use shell gas but I think it is time for a new filter. Gonna soak the bolts hardcore before attempting to take them out. Have no idea about drilling new holes and self tapering bolts etc. Got a 5% off rockauto code I want to use
For the filter/regulator use a WIX 33731 or the NAPA equivalent.
Do not attempt to remove the bolts. Lift both clips with small screw drivers and push the filter out of the holder while it is still mounted to the frame. It will bend down far enough if you warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer. Warm before disconnecting lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
jhonky

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Get the filter here:

http://www.usafilterstore.com/

It's much cheaper than rockauto.
dang! just placed my rockauto order too. 2nd time i've had to buy the wix 33731. how is it that cheaper than like every other website? google products, ebay, rock auto...all more expensive. like 80% more than that website. debating on whether i want to cancel the order now...

^thanks oldnuc I may try that way

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They buy in bulk and probably have minimal overhead. There are several places like that. You end up buying filters by the case to keep the freight cost within reason though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
jhonky

1998 SL2

not going to cancel. just take it as a lesson learned(again). i like rockauto, came to 8.18 more in the end after 2.98 shipping and 5% discount

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is why I would not get excited about the very low leader prices unless you want a case or 2 of something. Oil filters and transmission filters do not spoil so having a case of 12 is not a huge disaster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
2nd time i've had to buy the wix 33731.
Second time? Hopefully you haven't had any fuel filter failures. Owner's manual says replace every 100k miles (for 98-02) and a lot of people let that slide out to 120~150k with no problems.

OldNu's method works (no surprise ) and it was nice not having to deal with the rusty bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Anyone put an inline fuel filter in the fuel line just before the OEM one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote