SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Dead Cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
They shop replaced the engine but said something was wrong with the timing chain. They told me the found another engine and were putting it in. I gave them a couple of days and called today and they told me they had to put a sensor in and make other changes because they were putting one in from a '98. They didn't tell me they were putting in different model year.

Will this cause problems in the future? Is the 98 engine an oil burner like the 95?
When a Saturn is using a lot of oil, it could also be having oil pressure problems. The timing chain tensioner is driven by oil pressure. Chronic low pressure allows the chain to run loose and wears out fast. The '95 also didn't have an oil spray for the chain so it and the nylon guides didn't get as much lube as one might like. A new, OEM timing chain kit, with a new oil pump and oil spray for the chain, runs $250, IF you can find one. With labor, it would cost more than a used engine.

The '98 is barely different than the '95 but I think it has the oil spray for the timing chain. Still has pistons with no drain holes in the oil control rings so oil consumption will depend entirely on the previous owner(s). Good oil and filters will go further without gunking up the oil control rings. If you want a 100K mile engine, rebuild the '98 with new rings (and drill drain holes) before sticking it in your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktheviperman View Post
according to the manufactures every 800 miles 1 quart is okay in there eyes its when you have a problem were your spending more money on oil than you are on gas.....
This about what I am getting on my 99 sl2 with 165000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
ampecsu
ampecsu will become famous soon enoughampecsu will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Well virnin the motor is already being put in. I will find out tomorrow how it runs when they finish putting it in. I figure I will drive the car for another year or two. cost me 500 for a motor and 500 for the labor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampecsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ampecsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
ampecsu

1995 SL2

To put an end to this saga.....Got my car back today and seems to be running fine. Man, I haven't driven this car with this much power in a long time.

The '98 motor was said to have around 60k on it it. They put a new water pump on and timing chain, drilled something for a sensor to get it to work and so far I'm pleased. I will monitor the oil better this time around.

Total cost $1,030

Thanks to everyone on the thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
ampecsu

1995 SL2

Looks like I have to take it back in....Engine almost died at a light. Got home to check the codes.

codes 14 , 26 and 32.

14 is something about coolant temp out of range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Code 14 means the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) data that the engine computer is seeing is out of range. First check the wiring and the connector going to the sensor itself. Look for corrosion in the ends of the connector and sensor, and make sure the wiring itself isn't broken. If the connectors are clean and the wires are in good condition, then check the sensor itself, you want a sensor with a brass tip. Notice how one of these has a round resin tip that is cracked, and the new one has a brass tip. The brass tip will have the rounded shoulder next to the connector.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ects/cat/12919

Code 32 is an EGR fault. Could be something as easy as the connector not being plugged in at the top of the EGR, or the EGR is full of carbon and needs to be cleaned out. First check the EGR on the right side of the engine, does the electrical connector at the top have wires coming out of it?

Code 26 is the Quad Driver. Fix the other two first, starting with the Code 14 ECTS, and see if the code 26 doesn't go away in the process.

OBD-I codes for 91-95:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44420

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote