SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
ampecsu
ampecsu will become famous soon enoughampecsu will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Dead Cylinder?

1995 SL2 manual -154400 miles

Possible related history:

Tune up and valve cover gasket ( oil was getting on a spark plug) 2 months ago /car has been burning oil like crazy for past year or so (2 quarts/100 miles) / new egr valve year ago / new catalytic converter 5 yrs ago

other history: New water pump 1 month ago after it failed / junk ac compressor, new radiator cap, new ignition switch

Symptoms:

Past two weeks been shaking at idle (top motor mount failed user "Richpin's" pen test) but shop today said it was ok. / 3 days ago car made a low vibration after shifting into 5 gear. / Car barely takes off in first. / use to blow bluish smoke on acceleration, but now blows a whiter color.

What the shop said today:

Dead cylinder (1st I believe), they took out spark plug that was covered with oil and cleaned it to see if the cylinder would "come back to life" but it did not. Said that the problem was internal and sent me to another shop. They want 60 to diagnose again would not give me a ballpark based on what I told them.

What is you guy's take??? Cost??? What would you do????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampecsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ampecsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Dead Cylinder?

Do a compression test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
ampecsu

1995 SL2

Well after driving the car another couple of months it started having trouble getting moving from a stop. After about 5 difficult start-and-get-it-movings, it finally quit at a stop sign on the way to the shop.

They say I need a new engine or a rebuild. They want to charge 900 to swap a motor that I have found.

MY QUESTION is. would a twin cam (dohc) motor from a 1995, model UNKNOW, go in my car no problem.

The engine has 112,000 pulled from a wreck. (so he says) for $500. WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE FOR A SHOP TO SWAP MY MOTOR?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
MY QUESTION is. would a twin cam (dohc) motor from a 1995, model UNKNOW, go in my car no problem.
a '95 DOHC from any model s-series will be a direct drop-in.

part of the problem with getting used motors for these cars is that unless you are familiar with the vehicle the motor came out of, you can never be entirely sure what you're getting. you seem well versed with the oil burn issue. 112k is pretty low mileage for a '95, and unknown motors are generally better to get from wrecked vehicles if possible (you can be fairly sure it's a runner).

$500 for the motor isn't absolutely terrible. not sure how much it should cost to have a shop install it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
ampecsu

1995 SL2

the guy said 500 or best offer. I called and just asked some questions about it. I call him back and make an offer if I can find someone to put it in for fairly cheap. Otherwise I am getting rid of it. Its really been a pain in the ass really.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
ampecsu

1995 SL2

thanks for the answers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Intimidating at first but, really isn't once you've done it. If you have the tools/place it's a pretty easy DIY weekend project.

If not, check the "services / automotive" section of your local craigslist. I'd bet you could find someone there that would do it for ~$300/400. Ask for references.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
ampecsu

1995 SL2

Hey guys, I made some calls and a shop asked me what size the motor, 2.4 or 2.5 I believe. All I knew was SL2, dohc, and twin cam. How do I find this out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

It's a 1.9.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
ampecsu

1995 SL2

Thanks. thats what I figured, but he said that the twin cam had two types while the sohc had one. Maybe I shouldn't go with that shop, huh LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

sounds like a head gasket with the white smoke and blue is oil burning usualy

go on ebay and look at them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
1995 SL2 manual -154400 miles

Possible related history:

Tune up and valve cover gasket ( oil was getting on a spark plug) 2 months ago /car has been burning oil like crazy for past year or so (2 quarts/100 miles) / new egr valve year ago / new catalytic converter 5 yrs ago

other history: New water pump 1 month ago after it failed / junk ac compressor, new radiator cap, new ignition switch

Symptoms:

Past two weeks been shaking at idle (top motor mount failed user "Richpin's" pen test) but shop today said it was ok. / 3 days ago car made a low vibration after shifting into 5 gear. / Car barely takes off in first. / use to blow bluish smoke on acceleration, but now blows a whiter color.

What the shop said today:

Dead cylinder (1st I believe), they took out spark plug that was covered with oil and cleaned it to see if the cylinder would "come back to life" but it did not. Said that the problem was internal and sent me to another shop. They want 60 to diagnose again would not give me a ballpark based on what I told them.

What is you guy's take??? Cost??? What would you do????
oo oooo if its not a head gasket do what i did, buy a 400$ saturn on craigslist thats newer and steal the good parts of your old car, itll save you a crapload of money in the long run if you cant rebuild your own engine
i had a 95 that blew a valve suddenly in -7 degree weather because a spark plug was loose(i think)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

also if you switch cars make sure you keep the ultra light sawtooh wheels from you 95 if you have em,(95 sl2s had 15inch alloy sawtooth wheels, lightest satirn wheel ever made, i have em, and i love em! they look great on a 99 sl2)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
ampecsu

1995 SL2

the diagnosis was, was valve and timing chain, something broke inside. something along these lines

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #15
ampecsu

1995 SL2

ENGINE SWAP!

can anybody refer me to a thread? I going to maybe attempt to swap it myself and I need to know EVERYTHING outside of take out the old and put in they new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

For the first rebuild we followed these (yes it is a SL1 but essentially the same on any automatic):
Engine Removal Part 1
Engine Removal Part 2

If you lower the engine as much as you can after it's separated from the transaxle you get clearance for the downpipe flange and won't need the prybar like Rich did @ ~4:00.

When it burned a valve a few months ago we just removed the head and TC and left the block in place.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
ampecsu

1995 SL2

They shop replaced the engine but said something was wrong with the timing chain. They told me the found another engine and were putting it in. I gave them a couple of days and called today and they told me they had to put a sensor in and make other changes because they were putting one in from a '98. They didn't tell me they were putting in different model year.

Will this cause problems in the future? Is the 98 engine an oil burner like the 95?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member

2002 SL1

Typically all saturn engines burn oil after around 80,000 miles of use. 95 to 98 should be able to use the same sensors i belive it changes at 2000 to 2002.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member

2002 SL1

For some reason saturn didn't put oil drains in so it gets clogged up there and eats away until it lets oil in the cylinders i plan on driving mine till its dead. according to the manufactures every 800 miles 1 quart is okay in there eyes its when you have a problem were your spending more money on oil than you are on gas.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
ampecsu

1995 SL2

thanks for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!