SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
twistiert
twistiert is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Car heats up in traffic

Hey guys I tried to do a search but couldn't really find anything with my same problem. It just started happening one night the coolant light came on but the car didn't over heat. Now in traffic the temp gauge heats up to 3/4 I usually start driving before I can tell if it gets hotter but driving the temp gauge goes back do to 1/4 way. I can't decide if its a temp sensor or the thermostat. Both hoses are full and seem hot. Thanks in advance for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twistiert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twistiert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twistiert is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Car heats up in traffic

Start with replacing the ECTS and check the connector for corrosion and the wiring for splices. Correct a corroded connector by replacement and any splices must be soldered and shrink tubed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
twistiert

1994 SC1

Thank You I will try that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help twistiert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
twistiert

1994 SC1

If the ECTS is bad would it still cause temp gauge to raise? I see these cars use two different sensors one for the gauge the other for fan control?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistiert View Post
If the ECTS is bad would it still cause temp gauge to raise? I see these cars use two different sensors one for the gauge the other for fan control?
Depends on the year. You should put your vehicle information in your profile so we know what car you're talking about when you make a thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
twistiert

1994 SC1

O I'm sorry I thought I did it's a 94 SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistiert View Post
The gauge is the single wire sensor and only provides a signal to the gauge. The fane and cold enrichment is provided by the ECTS, the 2 wire sensor and if it is bad then it will never switch on the fan.

And the short answer to your question is --Yes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote