SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Scott71
Scott71 is on a distinguished road

Default 03 Saturn starts then stalls out right away.

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my 03 Saturn Ion. When I turn the key the engine turns over and starts but then quickly stalls out. If I keep doiong this my battery dies and I need a jump just to get me back to that stage. I have no idea what might be causing this.

The first time it happened I got a jump start and the car fired up fine. Driving it had no issues at all. After a couple days this problem happened again. It took several jumps before it would start up and again I would drive it and everything was fine.

Now this has happened again and it's stuck at work. I have repeatedly tried to have it jumped but thats not working either. The key turns the engine over, the car starts up, then immeditely shuts off as if it was a stall.

I had a mechanic take a look at it and he hooked his computer up to it. He said I have a few codes. One for an oxagen sensor, the other a heat sensor, and then he said a code of P1599. I looked into this code and see it had to do with the engine running ruff. My engine runs perfect once the car is running.

Can someone please offer some advice or suggestions at to what it might be. I dont want to spend alot of money trying this or that to see if it works.

Thanks,
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott71's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott71 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott71 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 Saturn starts then stalls out right away.

1-Mileage?

2-Maintenance done?

3-Is the security light ON or flashing while starting?

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Scott71

124664 mileage

The car has not needed any maintence for the past 2 years, everything has been running fine.

The security light comes on when I put the key in the on position. When I turn it over and it stalls the light beings to flash.

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scott71 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

@124k miles there are a few items that needs to be replaced; spark plugs and fuel filter every 100k miles. Not replacing them sets you up for any issues by neglecting periodic maintenance. Were these done or not?

Security remaining ON or flashing when starting or after releasing the ignition key back to the ON/RUN position usually means the factory Passlock theft deterrent system is active and disabled all the injectors - the very feature to deter theft when an actual theft is attempted without an ignition key. In this case, leave the ignition switch ON for at least 10-minutes until the security indicator changes state then cycle ignition OFF for a re-start. This is one element of Passlock resetting taking only 10-minutes. Hopefully this only occurs once and not repeat.

Why Passlock became active and shut down the car isn't worth guessing. There are many posts about original ignition switches being over greased (new) and causing no-start issues until they were replaced. Worn ignition lock cylinders and keys may play a role in inadvertent Passlock activation. There are millions of Passlock systems in the S/L/Vue/Outlook/Ion/Aura(?) models that are trouble-free.

If you have the owner's manual, review security.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

To simplify it down... If you have a Spare (Newer/Less Worn) Key... It may have a better chance of avoiding the Passlock issue.

Saturn once tried telling me to try a bunch of different things to fix my "No Start" issue (Because of the Ignition not recognizing my Key in -17F Weather... Take my word for it a Hair Dryer has a hard time warming up -17F air to anything near warm.) when I should have just grabbed my Spare Key from in the house and it fired right up.

It also never hurts to make sure you aren't hanging several pounds of useless Key Chain from your Ignition Key either... it can lead to abnormal wear over time.

Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Scott71

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for the reply. I'm sure this must be the passlock issue. Over the past couple days now I have been trying to reset this code but can't seem to do it right. Here is what's going on.....

My key use to get stuck when trying to turn the car over. With just a few jiggles of the key I could get it to turn over. I figured this might be a problem so I got a new igition switch. When I got it this thing was all in parts, each of the tummblers were in seperate bags. Luckly for me I knew someone who could assemble it and installed it. The key turns now like a dream come true.

After this was installed I went ahead to reset the passlock as described with the 10 minute ON position. I did this 3 times but it did not work. I did notice that my passlock light was no longer on. This is what happens....

I turn the key to ACC and wait for the beeping to stop. I then turn the car over and it stalls out. I see the passlock light flash 3 times then it goes out. I continue to wait the 10 minutes then I turn the key to the ACC position, wait 5 seconds, then try to turn it over again. Same thing happens, the light flashed 3 times then shuts off.

Also my battery is now dead and in a few hours I will go buy a new one. I had the car on a battery charger while I was attempting this 10 minute reset. Im am also going to go buy this electronic part LS1328 and install that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for the other procedure about Passlock. The 10-minute reset is for a short tamper mode while the 'relearn' procedure is the 30-minute routine.

Whatever electronics you're buying, it may interfere with GM's Passlock that works. Ions have the distinction of being one of the first to use logic signaling between the ignition switch and bcm or pcm to 'ask' it to power the starter. Conventional ign switches actually send 12v to the starter solenoid to begin the starting procedure. Removing the 12v signal from the ignition switch and using low voltage logic signals allowed a smaller ignition switch but over greasing caused early electrical contact issues that became the infamous "no-start" issue requiring ign switch replacement/relearn.

The 10-minute reset is one of two procedures. The 3, 10-minute ign switch cycles is for Passlock parts that are replaced and require 'marrying' these parts electronically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The tumblers are on the cylinder, not the switch : facepalm:, two very different parts. Replace the SWITCH.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Scott71

Ahh ok, that was my mistake. I will be getting a new switch today.

I do have a concern about the "flashing" light that should be on my dashboard. When I turn the engine over the light flashes 3 times then goes out.

Does this mean the security is not engaged and there is another problem? Or is this something I shouldn't be worried about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this security flashing or something else? Please be specific as no one sees what you see and posting requires specific descriptions to lessen confusion.

Security flashing is the ignition switch requiring replacement as mentioned and is telling you that Passlock doesn't like what's going on and killing the injectors until its satisfied; a relearn of the present ign switch or replacement. The ign switch contains part of Passlock circuitry and must be 'learned' when its replaced otherwise Passlock will lock the engine from running. Wear and tear on the ignition lock cylinder may be interfering with Passlock sensing and causing intermittent activation of Passlock. Security consists of turning the ign switch simultaneously with the lock cylinder for Passlock circuits sensing mechanical movement and electronic sensing in synch. Out of synch between mechanics and electronic sensors may be interpreted as a theft attempt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Scott71

Dizzy Re: 03 Saturn starts then stalls out right away.

Hi,

Again I want to thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem I'm having. It is the security light which flashes 3 times before going out.

I turn the key to start the engine, it starts then the injectors cut off and the engine stalls. Once that happens the security light flashes 3 times then goes out. This happens while the key is in the "ON" position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Scott71

UPDATE:

I got the new switch and installed it. Now the security light is flashing and I just began the 10 minute relearn process. I pray this works.

Just to be 100% clear, after the 10 minutes am I to turn the key to the "ACC" position, wait 10 seconds, then try the engine again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott71 View Post
Hi,

Again I want to thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem I'm having. It is the security light which flashes 3 times before going out.

I turn the key to start the engine, it starts then the injectors cut off and the engine stalls. Once that happens the security light flashes 3 times then goes out. This happens while the key is in the "ON" position.
passlock is killing the engine, the switch is bad.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Scott71

Thumbs Up Re: 03 Saturn starts then stalls out right away.

Everyone on this thread has been extreamly helpful. My car is working now and I appericate everything. You saved me alot of money and aggravation.

I hope anyone experincing this problem has a chance to look into this thread for the right kind of help to fix the problem.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!