SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
firetech
firetech is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default New member from Canada

Just introducing myself, im sure I'll be on here often. Live in the Barrie, Ontario area and needed a vehicle to do my 150km/90mi daily commute to Toronto. Heard alot of good things about saturn from a co-worker--- and a neighbour. I have been commuting in a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 v6 auto, love the little truck but it was costing me $25 - $30 per day, my neighbour claims he does his 320km/200mi daily commute on $18 in his SC .....WOW! So I took the plunge and started looking for a Saturn commuter vehicle, my concept of a commuter car is a cheap older car that I won't mind piling the miles on, but because it is older it shouldnt have to many power options to break or become disabled and finally it has to be a standard. SOOOO... I found a trade in at a local Volvo dealer, test drove it and bought it on the spot. It is a 2001 SC1, 3door, SOHC, base model with 114,000Km/70,000mi, requires nothing for safety, has a valid e-test and is if fantastic overall condition. All for $1500. Unfortunately the only items I would prefer to have and don't is a sunroof and A/C (and of course the car is black!). So when the hot weather rolls around I'll use my Magnum on the days when A/C is needed. I have been a licenced mechanic for too many years to remember so the maintenance falls squarely to me. Is there any pointers you guys can give me or any things I should be watching out for??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firetech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firetech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firetech is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2
Default Re: New member from Canada

Welcome to the forum!

You're going to love this car for the fuel economy. With a daily trip like that, you should see the 40s if you have a stick and pretty close if it's auto.

Just change your oil like it's a religion and be scrupulous about maintaining the cooling system and you should be spared major trauma. The SOHC is susceptible to head cracking but will last if you take care of it.

S series are quirky beasts but also very satisfying to work on. Anything comes up, just search the archives and you will find plenty of answers.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
firetech
firetech is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default Re: New member from Canada

When you say the SOHC is suceptible to head cracks, is there a mileage that goes along with that and what are the normal indications that I should be concerned, eg milkshake coolant, coolant in the oil or on the ground??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firetech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firetech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firetech is offline   Reply With Quote