SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
blue91lx
blue91lx is on a distinguished road

Default Car heats up at a stop?

Hey all,

My 97' SC2 has always ran right at or right above the 1/4 mark on the temperature gauge, regardless if I'm moving or sitting still. Recently, at a stoplight or in a drivethru, the car heats up to a little over 1/2 on the temp gauge. I've started driving before it increases anymore.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm only concerned because it has never done this before.

Thanks!

2003 Mitsubishi Evolution - Fully Built Weekend Car
96' Saturn - Daily Driver, soon to be 24 Hours of Lemons Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue91lx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue91lx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
Default Re: Car heats up at a stop?

it sounds like the thermostat needs to be replaced. proper operating temperature should have the needle just under the halfway mark (the radiator fan won't turn on until the needle almost hits the red, about 3/4 on the gauge).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Do you know if your ECTS is good?
Do you know the condition of your thermostat?
Have you checked your coolant level?
When was the last time the coolant was changed?

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

On a '97 expect the temp gauge to sit at about 3/8 scale when on the open road. If the car is not moving and the A/C is off (so the radiator fan is not spinning) the temp gauge will slowly climb to a bit under 3/4 scale at which point the fan should turn on and stay on until the temp gauge drops below 1/2 scale. (The '95 and earlier will go a bit above 3/4 scale before the fan come on.)

If the temp gauge stays at about 1/4 scale or below on the open road the t-stat is likely stuck open and that will result in slow warm up, reduced fuel economy, and slow/weak heat in winter.

On a '96 and newer model year a bad ECTS usually results in inaccurate temp gauge readings (typically low), a variety of driveability issues, and unreliable radiator fan turn-on..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

is fan turning on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
dbsanfte
dbsanfte is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

This is only a problem if the fan isn't turning on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbsanfte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbsanfte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
blue91lx
blue91lx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Do you know if your ECTS is good?
Do you know the condition of your thermostat?
Have you checked your coolant level?
When was the last time the coolant was changed?
I do not know if my ECTS is good, however, it's behavior is rather consistent in the manner I described. Once I get a chance this weekend I will check.

Thermostat I was told was replaced not too long ago, but who knows.

I replaced the coolant when I did a water pump last month, and it's still right on the money .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
On a '97 expect the temp gauge to sit at about 3/8 scale when on the open road. If the car is not moving and the A/C is off (so the radiator fan is not spinning) the temp gauge will slowly climb to a bit under 3/4 scale at which point the fan should turn on and stay on until the temp gauge drops below 1/2 scale. (The '95 and earlier will go a bit above 3/4 scale before the fan come on.)

If the temp gauge stays at about 1/4 scale or below on the open road the t-stat is likely stuck open and that will result in slow warm up, reduced fuel economy, and slow/weak heat in winter.

On a '96 and newer model year a bad ECTS usually results in inaccurate temp gauge readings (typically low), a variety of driveability issues, and unreliable radiator fan turn-on..
The bolded portion is exactly as I have been describing. The needle sits above 1/4 on the open road (appears to be 3/8), and all of these 'tests' have been done with the AC off. I will let the car run today with and without the AC on to determine.

My Evo had an open t-stat and had the normal symptoms, and the Saturn behaves nothing like that, which led me to believe it was normal. The only reason why it had just started I think is because I stopped using my AC as soon as I started noticing this, (duh, me)

I would've quoted all of you, but multi-quote wasn't working well on my browser it appears. Again, thank you all!

2003 Mitsubishi Evolution - Fully Built Weekend Car
96' Saturn - Daily Driver, soon to be 24 Hours of Lemons Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue91lx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue91lx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

A correctly operating T-stat for 96+ opens at 3/8s(195F, halfway between 1/4 mark and 1/2 mark). A failed T-stat usually opens just a hair above 1/4. Keep in mind this is only when the T-stat opens, it doesn't indicate the temp reading. If you're driving consistently there should be enough airflow through the radiator to keep the temp at 3/8ths. In town there isn't so the temp reading is largely decided by the radiator fan. The PCM uses a hand full of variables to decide when the fan turns on, but generally it comes on around 1/2 for 96+.

Replace the t-stat if it doesn't stay at 3/8ths while driving. Check the coolant system/levels, and whether or not the fan is coming on around 1/2. If both tests pass you're fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote