SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
soulbmx
soulbmx is on a distinguished road

Default Installing fog lights on an 03 Vue.

My 03 vue has no fog lamps. Just a plastic grill where they could go.

If I order some of the ones that will fit in those lower bumper spots, what do I wire them to? And should they be on their own switch? I use them for driving through a farm land valley that gets really foggy for a good part of the year in the evenings.

I saw some of eBay relatively cheap, but there is no info about wiring.

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulbmx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulbmx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Kyle51895
Kyle51895 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Installing fog lights on an 03 Vue.

If you go to a junkyard you might be able to get the harnesses and switch assembly from a higher trim VUE cheap. I considered doing it because it is pretty cheap, but I actually prefer the looks of the non-foglight version. You could also check rockauto/ebay for the switches, that is if you want the stock look. The stock location for the fog light button is right next to where it says "VUE" on the dash, by the panel dimmer.

2003 Saturn Vue - 2.2L Ecotec - 5 speed Getrag Manual Transmission
Mods: 2006 VUE Redline Gauge Cluster, Red Climate Controls, Debong, 16" Drag DR-34 rims

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kyle51895's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kyle51895 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kyle51895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If you have ABS / TRAC you will not be able to use the stock switch or switch location. ( The TRAC shut off switch is there in so equiped vehicles as was the case with mine) I got the OEM factory lights and BRACKETS from a a junkyard and used a simple "Fog light installation kit" ( Any auto parts store ) that included a relay, fuse, wires etc, (and directions if you need them ) I also bought a nicer switch, which can be placed basically wherever you personally prefer.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

Interesting, I never knew that, but a quick check in the owners manual confirmed it. (I had it out to check something about my wonky keyless entry) My button space there is just a blank plastic filler, I have no TCS/ABS and from what I've seen many of the early 2.2L 5 speeds didn't. I know as time passed it was more of a standard option of course, as many people with 05+ VUEs have chastised me for saying most of the 2.2L's don't have ABS/TCS I'm just glad my VUE has a nice sound system and all power windows and mirrors.

Mods: 2006 VUE Redline Gauge Cluster, Red Climate Controls, Debong, 16" Drag DR-34 rims

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kyle51895 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
soulbmx

I took a look on rock auto and eBay. But no luck.. Not sure exactly what the switches are officially called tho. lol

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help soulbmx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

Relays:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,3717

Fog lamp connecting wire?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,12373

I can't find the switch, but I'm sure someone can pull the part number, or you can give your local junkyard a call. I'll keep looking for you, and here's a post with some wiring diagrams.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...09&postcount=7

(Don't worry about the post content, I just used it for the diagrams)

Also, on an unrelated note, does this mean that VUE's with TCS can't have fog lights, or did they just not allow the driver to disable the TCS on fog light and TCS equipped VUE's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

Found it, I had to go into a 2006 3.5L to find it, but alas, here it is:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4408

I'd imagine it's the same switch, it looks the same as the one in my 2003 owners manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
soulbmx

Thanks Kyle!

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

No problem, let us know how things go!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
soulbmx

Do you think if I got that switch, I could just use it as a "switch"? And run the lights off the battery to the switch?

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

You could potentially, but I think that it connects to a harness:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle51895 View Post
You could potentially, but I think that it connects to a harness:

I believe that is a latching switch - pressing once makes momentary contact to enable fog-light circuit in BCM. Pressing a second time disables fog-light circuit in BCM. Turning key OFF also cancels BCM fog-light circuit.

The BCM does the heavy lifting by outputting a ground to fog-light relay when conditions merit using fogs (key to RUN/START and parking or low-beams ON - no output when high-beam enabled).

I've attached a typical Vue fog-light wiring diagram.

I'm with wolfman - buy a kit at auto-supply and wire per instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue OEM Fog Lights.jpg (161.2 KB, 24 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

If It's set up through the BCM, would a lower trim level BCM even have the fog light functionality?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle51895 View Post
If It's set up through the BCM, would a lower trim level BCM even have the fog light functionality?
Good question - and in theory - answer is no since BCM is supposedly programmed at birth based on VIN options (ABS/keyless entry/Fogs/etc).

I tried adding factory fogs to a 04 Chevy pickup - wiring wasn't there and BCM didn't have wires in fog-lamp terminals.

Darn - seems like it'd be as cheap to include all wiring and module programming (within reason) in all vehicles but they don't think that way.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Kyle51895

2003 VUE 2.2L

I don't know if Chevy used a BCM in the Cobalt, but you could make a base model almost an SS model with the parts. I wanted a Cobalt for quite a while :P I got the same power train at least.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
gaurdien
gaurdien is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
2009 VUE 3.5L

If you want a factory switch for the fogs i believe i have one at home. Let me know and I can check.

Good things are happening..........., somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaurdien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaurdien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

I tried to go this route when I got my Vue last year. I was hoping the car was "max-wired" meaning it was one harness thru-out the trim levels so connections, etc. would be there and it would be plug and play. No such luck, its not an easy task to go the "stock" route. Accordingly to the dealer, the BCM controls the whole thing, the switch is a momentary switch, not a typical on and off one. Installing the harness is only part of the job, you would need to deal with the BCM issue as well.

What I have considered doing was installing the stock units in the bumper cover and wiring them with a separate relay(s) to a power source that's only live when the ignition is on and installing a switch somewhere in the dash. It may not look completely stealthy with an aftermarket switch, but I know it will work.

---------------------------
2004 Saturn Vue FWD 5 spd
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

What I would do is this.

Order an aftermarket set of foglights. Mount them either in the spaces where the OEMs go, or somewhere down on the bumper (the projector ones are very small). Most fog light kits will come with a relay set up for you to use. Hitch a line off one of the switched fuses under the hood, if so desired run the line inside the vehicle to put in an interrupt switch.

Relish the fact that you did the whole job for fairly cheap, and likely will outperform the factory foglights, especially if you get an HID projector set up off fleabay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
soulbmx

I'm thinking if I do it I will just buy aftermarket lights and put them where the stock ones go, and run them off a toggle switch. Althought I like the idea of the interrupter switch.

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbmx View Post
I'm thinking if I do it I will just buy aftermarket lights and put them where the stock ones go, and run them off a toggle switch. Althought I like the idea of the interrupter switch.
I put in mine about a year ago...rock auto- 58 bucks brand new for the pair- appear to be the same exact housings as the OEM ones, with bulbs no less. Scotch locked them onto the low beams, works great...no switch needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote