SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Nigey
Nigey is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Replacing turn signal switch?

Well, I bought a used Saturn Aura in perfect condition, only to have the center brake light stop working (I'm guessing the darn connector based on these boards) and then.... I get in the car one morning and find the auto cancel signals have stopped working. Good job I read about these on this forum before!

To confirm: this part as of January 2017 is about $30 on Amazon, and is very easy to replace (I went with the ACDelco D6253E OEM part). Really, save yourself some money and don't go to the dealer....

The bits you should know:
i. its easy, you need a small flat head screwdriver and a socket set (I think about 5-15mm, see my next point), some patience and about 5-15mins.
ii. 3 bolt screws need to be removed from the bottom clam shell of the steering column (sorry can't remember the size, just have a good selection of 5-15mm sockets)
iii. *Before* you take it apart, take a photo on your phone of both sides of where the stem switches go in, it will help you know where things go back together!
iv. remove the bottom first, it will make it easy to remove the top part. Remember the steering column adjuster lever will get slightly in the way.
v. use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the 2 snap in connectors and signal stem (one catch on the top, one catch on the bottom of the signal switch assembly. I removed the electrical connectors first, and then removed the signal stem -maybe it's easier disconnecting last, but it worked for me...
vi. when you put the new on in, make sure you have the right orientation (remember: connector sockets are at the back). Again, I connected it up once the switch was in place. I found it was easy to just push the connector in place.
vii. This is the important one I found, after 10 mins of scrambling, I realized the best way forward was to just fasten the bottom clam first -remember those photos you took? Take a look at them, put the bottom clamshell in place and screw in the screw bolts (I put in the right side one first, but not sure it made any difference). You might have to be patient, but I managed it pretty easily in minutes once I did that.
viii. put on the top clamshell, make sure its in place, snap together (had to do this twice as I noticed I had an overlap of the top clamshell initially, but was easy to do).

You're done, congratulations!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
tprice1020
tprice1020 is on a distinguished road

Just ordered this part and will be working on it next week. Will let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tprice1020's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tprice1020 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tprice1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #23
Reachgp
Reachgp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Steering wheel is not removed. Just lower & upper covers. You'll be surprised how easy this job is.
How do i remove the cover blocking the Turn signal? iv tried everything from a screwdriver to a couple different heads i have in my tool kit but nothing works! i'm getting really frustrated iv been trying this for at least 3 hours now the turn signal wont squeeze past the cover that goes above the speedometer and below the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reachgp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reachgp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reachgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #24
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

been a few years since i did mine but i want to say they are torx screws, use a flashlight to look at the openings on the underside of the shell that covers the steering column. I remember getting a new switch overnight from amazon (prime) for about 30 bucks and it taking me about 30-40 minutes to replace it, the worst part is getting the shell lined up again. Not a very good switch as it seemed to just go without warning, but not to awful to replace either, on a scale of 1-10, it's probably a 4 or 5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #25
kraze1994
kraze1994 is on a distinguished road

Out of this whole process I seem to be struggling with the easiest part. The top cover is giving me hell to put back on and I don't know why. I've spent the past 90 minutes fiddling with that thing and it will just not click back into place, mainly struggling with getting it lined up with both side stocks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kraze1994's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kraze1994 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kraze1994 is offline   Reply With Quote