SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
96sl1daily
96sl1daily is on a distinguished road

Default oil in my coolant bottle :(

well i checked my oil like i normally do every few days. the dipstick was totally dry. i then notice the coolant bottle has oil all over it. so i take the cap off and guess what its full of oil!!! perfect ending to my weekend.

the car was runnning fine and started right up when i moved it out of the driveway this morning. the oil light never came on and the coolant temp never spiked.

do i have the dreaded cracked head? tomorrow im gonna start by draining the hopefully oil from the oil pan. then prolly take the head off.

the car has 187k on her and its been a great car. this really came outta no where. i thought she would go 300k easily.

i could get a junk yard head if you guys think my motor didnt get hurt by this.
any suggestions here? thank you guys

current daily
97 sl 5 speed 96k miles purchased 9/22/12
former daily 96 sl1 5speed
bought it 12/10 with 143k miles
9/16/12 head cracked 187k miles now a designated parts car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96sl1daily's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96sl1daily reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96sl1daily is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1
Default Re: oil in my coolant bottle :(

Sounds like the typical SOHC head crack. If so, you will find oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil. I have resurrected two SL1 cars by swapping in used motors after the originals died from this fate.

Out of curiocity, what type coolant were you using? Did you ever add straight water to the cooling system? The general consensus here seems to be that running a 60% antifreeze (or better) mixture will help keep boiling point down and prevent this problem. I know for sure that the PO of my 99 SL1 had been having cooling problems and straight water was added to top it off after it overheated.

I would probably not waste time trying to install a used head. A rebuilt head with a new timing chain or just an entire used engine would be a better bet. IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
96sl1daily

green prestone a little over 50 50. im not sure exactly of the ratio.

does this typicly destroy the engine? any idea what a reman head costs vs a used?

current daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 96sl1daily reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sl1daily View Post

does this typicly destroy the engine? any idea what a reman head costs vs a used?
I tore down my '99 sohc motor, just to find actual evidence of what killed the motor. I did find the crack in the cam journal that is right next to the upper radiator hose spout on driver side of the head. The bottom end of the motor looked to be in decent shape for the 130k miles it had. In theory, if you maintained oil pressure, the short block should be fine, but with your miles, I would probably not invest a lot into that motor.

I am not exactly sure of the cost of a rebuilt head, but several her on SFF have found them on ebay for less money than having yours rebuilt locally. Search around here and on ebay directly. I am sure you will turn up the source pretty fast.

Where are you located? You may find some help here from a forum member.

Prices for used SOHC motors are usually pretty good if you are patient. I found a VERY low mile '01 motor for $150 on CL, and a 83k mile used '02 motor for $350 at a local parts salvager. The SOHC motor are not in huge demand, so you have bargaining power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Quote:

If youre looking for a good SOHC head, PM me.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
96sl1daily

what would be the years of the engines i could use if i swap the motor out? i got a 5 speed so that rules out engines that were on autos correct?

current daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

As long as you have everything up to the flywheel an engine in an auto will work fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
caveeagle

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
what would be the years of the engines i could use if i swap the motor out? i got a 5 speed so that rules out engines that were on autos correct?
Any 2nd or 3rd gen SOHC motor should work. Some '99 and all '00-'02 engines came with special holes in the exhaust ports to mate with the air injection system, but they can be mated up to the early (non air-pump) manifolds an will run just fine. Just make sure the exhaust manifold bolt config is the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Razzle Dazzle
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Unless you already confirmed it's the cracked head, which I won't discount, it COULD still be just a Head Gasket - I don't think Saturns are known for just blowing the gasket, but it's a chance.

Helplessly in love with my:
White 95 SC2. Automagic ~ 144K
Engine swap, 20k less than body, burns no oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
96sl1daily

Gaskit would be great. I'm gonna tear into it tonight after work.

current daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Advanced Member
1993 is on a distinguished road

what did you find?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote