SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
CaliChuck
CaliChuck is on a distinguished road

Default Autozone Fuel Filter

Will a fuel filter from auto zone work fine? I know dealership is always best but Im a student and dont have alot of cash.

I have a 1999 Saturn. Where is it located? Im reading its next to the tank in the back, is it hidden away or easily accessible?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaliChuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaliChuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaliChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Autozone Fuel Filter

Go to RockAuto and buy a WIX 33731 which is what they generally list for Saturn. It is cheaper than the dealer and it will work. Do not try anything other than a WIX or OEM.

http://www.rockauto.com

Use this discount code.

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Go to RockAuto and buy a WIX 33731 which is what they generally list for Saturn. It is cheaper than the dealer and it will work. Do not try anything other than a WIX or OEM.

http://www.rockauto.com

Use this discount code.

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
^^ Trust this advice.

I made the mistake of installing another name brand (premium) filter on my '02 SL1. It started throwing codes as soon as I installed it. 'lean mixture' or something like that.

Go with Wix or OEM only.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
dakota1820
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL
1995 SL2

i am not going to say the autozone wont work but if it did work you would be one of the lucky few. i would only use wix i used purolator and my car ran rich slapped a wix on and all is good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

Quote:
Do not try anything other than a WIX or OEM.
this cannot be emphasized enough.

your fuel filter has a built-in regulator. the cheaper aftermarket filters are notorious for having faulty regulators... if you're lucky you'll merely have starting problems or it'll run rich, if you're unlucky it'll run lean and burn exhaust valves (permanently damaging the motor).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
CaliChuck

Ok. Ill get the WIX. its 5 bucks more. But where is it located exactly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CaliChuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

You can also get the NAPA version that is made by Wix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliChuck View Post
where is it located exactly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVeyA6B2afU

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

What symptoms are you trying to resolve with the new fuel filter?

the factory recommends replacing it at 100k miles, but most people don't have problems through roughly 150k miles.

If you are trying to save money, troubleshooting by replacing parts is not the way to go

It's entirely possible your symptoms might be caused by something other than the somewhat pricey fuel filter, e.g., ECTS, etc

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
CaliChuck

Okay but the video doesnt point where it is? I have bad hearing sorry.

When I press gas pretty well it chokes for a bit but once RPM gets higher then it flows like butter. I am certain its the fuel filter because I have a 91' S10 Chevy that did practically the same thing, If you're easy on the gas, it's fine, but push the pedal mid level it will choke then kick in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It also my be your plugs. Are you using NGK BKR5ESA-11 plugs? The filter/regulator is just in front of the left rear tire, up beside the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
OHCPower
OHCPower will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Quote:
It also my be your plugs. Are you using NGK BKR5ESA-11 plugs? The filter/regulator is just in front of the left rear tire, up beside the tank.
What? Mine was underneath the firewall by the front left tire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OHCPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OHCPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OHCPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCPower View Post
What? Mine was underneath the firewall by the front left tire.
1991-1997 location is where yours is, and the filter selection is not critical since it used a separate pressure regulator.

1998-2002 has the filter location where OldNuc mentioned and filter selection is important as many/most aftermarket makers do not provide the proper pressure.

Once you get the car up, it's pretty easy to locate. You do not need to unbolt it, either. The black plastic holder will bend enough to get it out/iin as long as you are careful and go slow.

But try plugs or whatever else OldNuc recommends first. Plugs should run about $10 total (or less w discounts) vs $60 for the filter. There are several things that can cause the bogging - another possibility is the ECTS but that usually has other symptoms (hard starting, poor mpg, low temp gauge reading, black smoke from exhaust)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k

Last edited by alordofchaos; 09-17-2012 at 03:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
OHCPower
OHCPower will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
1991-1997 location is where yours is, and the filter selection is not critical since it used a separate pressure regulator.

1998-2002 has the filter location where OldNuc mentioned and filter selection is important as many/most aftermarket makers do not provide the proper pressure.

I see. Sorry for the confusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OHCPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OHCPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OHCPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
alordofchaos
Master Member

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCPower View Post
I see. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries - it's how we learn

I've asked my share of the same questions... sometimes I have to copy/paste the info into a document in my hoard of Saturn knowledge, to keep track of it all. I'm pretty well set to own any year S-series, though most of my info/experience is in 2nd gens

REWARD EXCELLENCE!