SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Wrench Clutch having no pressure

today, me and my father we replacing the brake fluid in my car (it needed it, fluid was blackish green), 03 ion-2 with 5sp, and everything gone well untill we got to bleeding the clutch. had no problem at all doing all the brakes.

the issue is that when we were bleeding the clutch, it had lost all of its pressure, and we could not restore the pressure back into the clutch. we managed to rid the old fluid out of it, and got all the air out of it. the entire system has fresh fluid, but the clutch is not building up any pressure anymore.

we were thinking that the clutch master cylinder may be going bad because some of the seals may be going bad on it, and least importantly, the tip on the push rod is completely messed up. checked all the hoses and connections, and all of it are good. the next problem was to find another cylinder, but nobody has them in stock (autozone, pep boys, o'rielly), and neither do their warehouses that they order from. what i havent tried is contacting any GM dealerships or scrapyards or any ions in their lots.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Clutch having no pressure

you probably didn't get all the air out. the clutch on the ion needs to be vacuum bled, and even then it's not always 100% successful. I had my clutch cylinder replaced, and the new cylinder would only give me pressure if I sat there and pumped the pedal a lot, then pressure would only last a day. I had it re bled, and it has worked flawlessly since.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hmmm, would a Mity-vac hand held vacuum pump work here? It would need two tubes with a small container to catch oil and air while only allowing air to be drawn into the vacuum pump. There are kits made for this purpose but I've never had to use one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i remember last night when i was looking at new master cylinders, one result from a google search was a topic on here, and one comment (i think from you 2006 or another knowledgeable member) mentioning about vacuum bleeding. i wasnt sure what you meant by that, or how to do it.

PS. i cannot believe the the very poor availability of either a new cylinder, or even a clutch pedal of that matter (socket in the pedal is broken).

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

You need to vacuum bleed the clutch. The vacuum needs to be pulled from the resivior, leave bleeder screw closed. attach vacuum tool in way to the top of the resivior that is air tight. pull the vacuum 2 mins, release, pump the clutch several time, and repeat several times. the vucuum tool needs to pull 26-27 inches. Hand type pumps may not work. I use a tool that works with shop air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

well, got a mityvac hand pump, and found a service chevy place who actually had a master cylinder in stock. needed the new cylinder bec the tip on the old one was pretty much destroyed. got to work on bleeding the clutch properly, and going to the 25 inches like you said bern, and the clutch works as if it new again.

i appreciate the help and advice guys.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Andwudz
Andwudz is on a distinguished road

2005 ION Red Line
1995 SL2
Wrench Re: Clutch having no pressure

I appreciate all the replys about this subject on the forum. I've had a hard time with this problem. I even bought another master cylinder from a junkyard near me. The clutch master cylinder has been bled multiple times at the slave cylinder's bleeder valve under the oil cooler manually. I finally used the vacuum technique with the tool on the pic below and the clutch master cylinder pressure was restored. I can't thank all of you enough. It wasn't loosing any fluid unless it was bled at the valve so I was like wtf. It had to be the clutch master cylinder. Much thanks again, guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1443043260393.jpg (93.8 KB, 75 views)

"With whatever you do... Always remember to do it right the 1st time."
- there's more to it than putting gas in and just holding the steering wheel -

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andwudz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andwudz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andwudz is offline   Reply With Quote