SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
taylorham420
taylorham420 is on a distinguished road

Default slow accelerate 1st gear

I have a 2002 saturn vue with the 3.0 and aisin transmission.
Just yesterday when i start to drive in 1st the car will accelerate super slow. The rpms are at about 2000 and car sounds real throaty. When the car finally gets to 25 mphs its shifts and goes just fine thru the rest of the gears and rpms are fine also. If I put it in (L) it drives perfectly fine. No slow acceleration or hesitation.
Car had 85k on it. Been very well maintained. If anyone has heard of this your imput would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taylorham420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taylorham420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taylorham420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: slow accelerate 1st gear

Do you have a sunroof on your VUE? Is your service engine light or reduced power light on?

My sunroof (2003 with Aisin trans) was leaking into a pillar and shorted out a connector to the transmission. I had almost no first gear and very low power. Former Saturn Techs fixed it in an hour.

Let us know more about your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
taylorham420

No sunroof and not dash lights. No codes.

Where is this pillar your talking about. It did just rain here for days so maybe something got wet. Now today it is doing it in (L) gear but not as bad.

Someone also told me maybe a tranny speed sensor??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help taylorham420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
taylorham420

I unplugged the battery over night and the car drove fine the next day for about 10 minutes then back to this limp mode crap.

I have red that these aisin transmissions dont really go bad.

Is the 40 pin plug what you are talking about in the door pillar?
What about throttle body?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorham420 View Post
I unplugged the battery over night and the car drove fine the next day for about 10 minutes then back to this limp mode crap.

I have red that these aisin transmissions dont really go bad.

Is the 40 pin plug what you are talking about in the door pillar?
What about throttle body?

I've not located transmission connectors behind LH or RH front kick panels.

The diagrams I have found indicate shift function control wiring is routed direct from the gear shift console to the transmission control module (TCM).

I don't have a 3.0 Vue but according to service manual - TCM is attached to the LH strut tower. There'll be two connectors and I've attached a diagram with shape and wiring code.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything worth mentioning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 TCM Connector.pdf (86.1 KB, 97 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
taylorham420

Just got my coeds red.

p0970
p0421
p0700

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Just got my coeds red.

p0970
p0421
p0700
P0700 is normal code set when any transmission code is set

P0970 Shift solenoid feed-back valve open or shorted. Indicates one of the lines used by TCM to exchange information with transmission has a bad wire.

P0421 is front cat - low efficiency.

I suggest you locate the TCM. Then remove and check the two connectors for any signs of moisture.

According to service manual - TCM's is attached to the left-side strut tower (tower is accessible underhood - next to the relay & fuse panel).

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
taylorham420

Thank you for all the help.

I will check connectors.
Does anyone know where to buy these connectors except from GM?
They want 175 for the two.

Also id i do put a new TCM in do I have to do a relearn processs or get updated software? I would be ordering one from rockauto.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
WhataVUE2002
WhataVUE2002 is on a distinguished road

Saw your private message and decided to look at your issue. It sounds very similar to what I have experienced. Have you found the TCM? I will take a look at my VUE tonight and see if the connections are good or not. Have you noticed if hot weather affects the occurrence of the problem -- my VUE only seems to act up when the weather is above 85 degrees F.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhataVUE2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhataVUE2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhataVUE2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thank you for all the help.

I will check connectors.
Does anyone know where to buy these connectors except from GM?
They want 175 for the two.

Also id i do put a new TCM in do I have to do a relearn processs or get updated software? I would be ordering one from rockauto.

Thanks again
If problem is with connectors they might not need to be replaced.

I've brought water-logged cell phone and I-pod back to life with thorough drying and cleaning with stuff available (DeoxIT GN5 and DN5 and canned air) at Radio Shack.

I'd see how a new TCM responds before reprogramming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-08-30 12.31.59.jpg (154.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-30 12.32.46.jpg (146.2 KB, 25 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
taylorham420

Well just had solenoid valve body replaced at a cost of 1800.
Drove most of the day and transmission was good.
Parked overnight and it rained.
NOW Still same damn problem. Started car and drove good for 1/4 mile and right back to limp mode.
I wanted to replace tcm but mechanic said it was the solenoid. (sucks sometimes being in military away from home). So now back to same problem.
Im gonna have wife (try to) spray connectors out tonight and before she goes to work in the morning.
If that dosent work gonna try tcm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Well just had solenoid valve body replaced at a cost of 1800.
Drove most of the day and transmission was good.
Parked overnight and it rained.
NOW Still same damn problem. Started car and drove good for 1/4 mile and right back to limp mode.
I wanted to replace tcm but mechanic said it was the solenoid. (sucks sometimes being in military away from home). So now back to same problem.
Im gonna have wife (try to) spray connectors out tonight and before she goes to work in the morning.
If that dosent work gonna try tcm
Is there a check engine light?

Regarding the TCM and transmission connectors - Chazberry recently forwarded photos of TCM on his 2003 Vue and also the 14-pin in-line transmission connectors. I'll attach those below.

To my way of thinking - these connectors are under the hood and are about 10 years old. Any traces of internal moisture COULD result in intermittent shorting between contacts and lead us to suspect the normally reliable 3.0 transmission has internal problems.

If it were my Vue - I'd disconnect the two TCM connectors and the 14-pin connector from the transmission and clean both pin and socket sides with electronic contact cleaner and a soft-bristled brush.

I'd then use the wiring diagram to check for continuity of all wires between the TCM and transmission connector. Next step would be check for continuity between one particular wire and all others to make sure there no high-resistance paths exist between wires.

Final step would be use a quality dielectric grease to seal the connectors to improve corrosion fighting capability. There are several types - here's a link to one (should be availably at auto supply houses).

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...-Up_Grease.htm

There are three thumbnails - the first is for TCM, second for transmission connector and third is the schematic. The schematic depicts four shift solenoids in the transmission. Each is controlled by a pair of wires from the TCM. If any of these wires find a path to ground with less resistance than going through the transmission solenoid, a code will set, and transmission will go to "Limp-home" mode.

I'll send you my cell-phone number by PM. Keep in mind I've never looked underhood of a 3.0 Vue but I have a service manual, photo's provided by Chuck Berry and my advice is free (you get what you pay for ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChuckBerryTCM.jpg (124.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg ChuckBerryInline.jpg (66.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg TCM-14PIN.jpg (100.1 KB, 46 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I didn't mention - TCM is located on small tray on left-side (driver) strut tower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
taylorham420

thanks for the help.
do you know where that 14pin connector is?
Im gonna have to walk the wife thru all this stuff so any extra info i can get will be super helpful.
thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

What about a partially-plugged catalytic converter? Can give you the driveability concern, as well as the catcon efficiency trouble code listed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
thanks for the help.
do you know where that 14pin connector is?
Im gonna have to walk the wife thru all this stuff so any extra info i can get will be super helpful.
thanks again.
I don't know for sure where connector is - other than being attached to transmission. It appears to be viewable from above since Chazberry took its picture.

Looking at the TCM photo - I'm guessing the plug on right side (viewed from top) leads to the transmission connector so I'd try tracking that back to other end. If it goes to and through firewall - its the wrong harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
What about a partially-plugged catalytic converter? Can give you the driveability concern, as well as the catcon efficiency trouble code listed...
I can't argue with that ... but don't totally agree since a repair shop charged $1800 to open trans and replace the solenoid.

You seem to be insinuating that a mechanic would misdiagnose a problem.

Yes, I know - I've already done that by suggesting a corroded connector rather than bad part.

Where have you been?

Its good to have a pro offer advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
taylorham420

I was also thinking that but there hasn't been any 'cat' smell. I have had cats go bad on my other gm cars but didn't lose as much power as this vue. This car is gonna be brand new after im done throwing paychecks at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was also thinking that but there hasn't been any 'cat' smell. I have had cats go bad on my other gm cars but didn't lose as much power as this vue. This car is gonna be brand new after im done throwing paychecks at it.
I can relate to that ... at times keeping an old car running is like bleeding to death from a thousand small cuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Thanks, grumpy...been out of commission since getting my leg crushed under a forklift.

As for the VUE, if the valve body that was replaced was original (Revision A) and it was replaced with the revised type B, it should have a new PC solenoid on it and the internal wiring harness should have been replaced with it due to the newer style having a relocated solenoid and the original harness will not reach. That would eliminate internal electrical concerns, of course there may be more going on than that.

Externally, the only other components are the TCM and the 2 wires (grey and white) from it to the tranny. I'd string 2 new wires rather than spending hours running down an intermittant issue. If that didn't work they would be looking at a TCM

To the OP: have you contacted the shop that did the repairs and tried to get them to make it right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote